Thread: Is it safe to do a system update on a flashed Motorola Droid?

Phones
    Samsung Fascinate
    Samsung Fascinate, Full Flash w/3G
    Samsung Galaxy Tab i800, Flashed w/ 3G
    Carriers
    Metro PCS
    Feedback Score

Is it safe to do a system update on a flashed Motorola Droid?

My droid is flased to Metro and wworks great, but as I was learning all of its bad *** features I have noticed in 'About Phone>System updates' menu that there is an Android Update 2.1 which will require a restart.

Does anyone know if downloading this and updating my phone will destroy the flash that ha been done to it?

I paid to have this phone flashed, therefore I would not be comfortable, or even have the know how, to back up the entire phone and re-flash it myself to restore it.

Thanks for any help.

Phones
    iPhone 4S
    iPhone 4S
    www.ngwmiami.com
    Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    I flash phones for a living... HOPEFULLY the jerk who flashed your phone put a custom rom that disables OTA updates.. (the phone will still prompt but update will FAIL), if not then yea you will lose your root and flash. No contacts or anything like that will be lost but flash will. I happen to flash with a Custom Android 2.2 build and any customer that asks for an update and paid full price, gets unlimited updates for 1 year. I suggest you call the person who flashed your phone and ask him why didnt he put 2.1.. its been out for a LOOOONG time now..

Sounds like he slacked

Phones
    Samsung Fascinate
    Samsung Fascinate, Full Flash w/3G
    Samsung Galaxy Tab i800, Flashed w/ 3G
    Carriers
    Metro PCS
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for your reply, I was begining to wonder if anyone really knew the answer. My firmware is 2.1 (ESE 53) so i think I have the Android update already. And the build of my ROM is Smoked Glass v6.0. I know its not the best ROM, but it is what it is. I am pretty sure though that this ROM does disable the OTA update, if I have done my research correctly. Please correct me if I am wrong. Thanks!

Carrier
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    2.2 is the latest right? I saw a custom rom that was 2.2, so does 2.2 break your flash/root forever or no? And what's different/better in 2.2?
    Last edited by k0rr; 07-29-2010 at 10:32 PM.

Feedback Score
    as far as i know, official 2.2 is not available for the droid yet, but u CAN go to a rooted 2.2 port, and u will be fine

Feedback Score
    i have a motorola droid 2.1 rooted on metropcs everything was working fine. but when i used the app called android mate i was in my sdcard file but i think i deleted something under systems an my phone had rebooted an i had too use wifi to sign in my google account to use my phone but i lost my internet an picture mms the only thing i have now is call an text but no web an mms can u help me out to put those settings back in thanks im new to this

Feedback Score
    I have a note 2 that is actively trying to install and my ports aren't working so reflashing is out of the question unless the update fixes that as well which I doubt , but I am now stuck with a green man trying to install each time I power on and idk what to do at this point