Thread: Transfer/port from NET10 w/T-mobile to active NET10 w/AT&T - can I keep AT&T SIM?

Carrier
    NET10/TracFone
    Feedback Score

Transfer/port from NET10 w/T-mobile to active NET10 w/AT&T - can I keep AT&T SIM?

Recently bought a second-hand Motorola W375g (foolish, I know now, but apparently I have registered it successfully with a clean ownership according to CS). I like it better than my existing Samsung T201g, so I'd like to transfer number & minutes from the T201 to the W375. Another appeal is that the W375 has an AT&T SIM, while the T201 uses T-Mobile. I live in an area where NET10/TracFone prefers T-Mobile. Both phones are active. If I want to transfer the number & minutes from the T201 to the W375, will they let me keep the AT&T SIM? Or will they tell me I have to get a new SIM to change the number (and then send me a T-Mobile SIM)? The number transfer to an AT&T SIM is more important to me than the minutes.

Carrier
    NET10/TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Well, I didn't think I could find the answer, but after posting the thread, the HOFO system suggested a thread to me which gives me an answer.

Apparently, ANY number change to an active GSM phone requires a new SIM.

Correct?

Feedback Score
    You did a good job. A used SIM is not able to be reprogrammed with a new number (Tracfone policy). It doesn't matter if the phone is active or not. If it had a phone number it will need a new SIM for a new phone number. One phone number per SIM.

If you want to ensure an AT&T SIM, you will have to specify an AT&T-only zip code such as 65046 as the place where the phone will be used the most. It doesn't matter that it will be shipped somewhere else. The problem is that when you order a new SIM, the old SIM might be deactivated on the spot and the phone will quit working until the new SIM is up and running.

Carrier
    NET10/TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    If you want to ensure an AT&T SIM, you will have to specify an AT&T-only zip code such as 65046 as the place where the phone will be used the most. It doesn't matter that it will be shipped somewhere else. The problem is that when you order a new SIM, the old SIM might be deactivated on the spot and the phone will quit working until the new SIM is up and running.
    Thanks for the help.

Does NET10 care if the number I want to transfer is 300 miles away from the AT&T zip I specify?

Feedback Score
    That fake zip is just used for ordering the sim. Then the system forgets about it. When you do the actual transfer, it won't care about it. However, in order for the AT&T-simmed phone to activate properly, there should be an AT&T tower in the area for it to talk to. So the activation process may ask for your real zip code just to make sure there is AT&T there.

Some people say that it doesn't matter if there is an AT&T tower, but that seems like a requirement. They can refuse to activate if they think it will be roaming all the time. If you roam too much (it's expensive), they can cut you off.

Phones
    Samsung T201G
    Motorola W376
    BlackBerry 8703e
    Carriers
    AT&T (Tracfone / Net10)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    Some people say that it doesn't matter if there is an AT&T tower, but that seems like a requirement. They can refuse to activate if they think it will be roaming all the time. If you roam too much (it's expensive), they can cut you off.
    I did not have a problem activating a T-Mo SIM in an AT&T only area a thousand miles from the specified city. That was a couple of years ago, though.