Thread: HTC Desire unlocking

Feedback Score

Question HTC Desire unlocking

Hi, this is my first post here and I am a total newb about cellular service (have nothing right now) so I'm in need of some advice before I commit to my first phone. Please try to avoid acronyms if you reply since I see a lot here that I don't yet understand.

The HTC Desire has me drooling so it looks like I have to go with Telus. I don't want to commit to a long contract, or any contract if possible, so I'm willing to buy the phone outright. I also want to be able to upgrade the Desire to FroYo 2.2 as soon as it's available (this weekend in Europe possibly?) and not wait until Telus gets around to releasing it. I believe that it is possible to upgrade the OS if the phone is unlocked. Can anyone confirm this?

If I buy the phone with no term will I automatically have the right to unlock it? If yes then what must I do to get it unlocked?

Feedback Score
    Here is one site that unlocks phones including htc....http://www.mobileincanada.com/?l=en&u=all
    Here is the info on updating the desire from 2.1 to 2.2 for unlocked phones....http://www.mobileburn.com/news.jsp?Id=10182
    A lot of people waiting for telus to release this phone...

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the links.

If I understand correctly, a 3rd party service wouldn't be able to unlock a phone at release would it? If Telus requires some amount of time then they would be subject to that time period just as I would. Perhaps they have an alternate solution. I'm not sure if Telus has any reason not to provide an unlock code for a fully paid for phone.

If I can get the Desire unlocked then I should automatically get the Android upgrade over the air then? That would be very nice. I thought I might have to do something.

Carriers
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    When we do our unlock codes for HTC, we go straight to the HTC server...so yes, there is only a very LITTLE chance that we CAN'T get the code.

Phones
    HTC Sensation 4G
    HTC Sensation 4G
    HTC Desire
    Carrier
    Fido - PrePaid
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Carrier unlocking and Rooting are 2 different things.

Unlocking will allow you to use the phone on other networks (Bell, Rogers, Fido, etc...). This will NOT allow you to flash other ROM's like FroYo being released in the UK soon.

Rooting will give you access to the phone so you can load up any ROM designed for the phone. Rooting will NOT unlock the phone from Telus.

2 different process to achieve the results you are looking for. At least the rooting portion is free (see link below). It is not known at this time if the phone can be rooted using this process. When the Telus HTC Desire actually gets released ?tomorrow?, we'll know for sure if this method still works. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't though.

http://unrevoked.com/
    HTC Sensation - CM10
    HTC Desire - *SOLD*
    HTC Magic - CyanogenMod 6.1.0

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GLHTC16V View Post
    Rooting will give you access to the phone so you can load up any ROM designed for the phone. Rooting will NOT unlock the phone from Telus.
    Let me make sure I understand. Will the Desire come with a carrier customized build of Android which prevents OTA updates? If this is the case and I root the phone will this allow me to install the HTC build of FroYo and will this leave me free of the Telus build restrictions permanently?

Carrier
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by David24 View Post
    Let me make sure I understand. Will the Desire come with a carrier customized build of Android which prevents OTA updates? If this is the case and I root the phone will this allow me to install the HTC build of FroYo and will this leave me free of the Telus build restrictions permanently?
    Telus will not strip or change Android on the Desire. However, getting updates is up to the carrier and that has been a slow process (hero still not officially updated).

You can root at anytime and run any rom you choose.

Feedback Score
    How can I get the official HTC rom? Can I get it OTA if the phone is rooted or will I have to do it the hard way?

Carrier
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    How can I get the official HTC rom? Can I get it OTA if the phone is rooted or will I have to do it the hard way?
    Not sure what your asking. The Telus HTC Desire will have the official HTC rom. Telus will not be changing anything on it.

If you want to change it that isn't hard at all. Check out this site and read through it. Most who root will be on this forum. Here is the link for the HTC Desire http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=594

Edit: If you mean that you what to have the official Froyo 2.2 then you would have to wait for Telus to put it out our you can root it and get if before that.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by maddog497 View Post
    Edit: If you mean that you what to have the official Froyo 2.2 then you would have to wait for Telus to put it out our you can root it and get if before that.
    None of this makes any sense. You say that the phone has an unmodified OS but it won't automatically upgrade to 2.2 until Telus "put's it out". If Telus isn't making modifications then why would there be a delay?

If I root the phone what are the steps to have the phone install 2.2? Will I have to download the rom and install manually?

It seems like there are a ton of issues reported with 2.2 on the xda forums. Perhaps it isn't even worth it to upgrade.

Phones
    HTC Sensation 4G
    HTC Sensation 4G
    HTC Desire
    Carrier
    Fido - PrePaid
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    None of this makes any sense. You say that the phone has an unmodified OS but it won't automatically upgrade to 2.2 until Telus "put's it out". If Telus isn't making modifications then why would there be a delay?
    Telus *might* want to make some modifications. Some of the features that 2.2 comes with (like wireless tethering) are not "carrier friendly", as in, they want to charge you for the feature. The other reason that gets thrown around is compatibility issue with the network.

If I root the phone what are the steps to have the phone install 2.2? Will I have to download the rom and install manually?
    Yes, once you root the phone you will have to/want to back up your existing ROM, wipe all the data off the phone, and then install the ROM. A very simple process, all done within the recovery menu. The recovery menu is not on the phone stock, it gets installed when you root the phone.

It seems like there are a ton of issues reported with 2.2 on the xda forums. Perhaps it isn't even worth it to upgrade.
    I wouldn't say there are "tons" of issues. I'm running 2.2 on my HTC Magic with no major issues (Cyanogenmod). 2.2 is quite new to the masses and modders. The OTA (over the air) updates that are being pushed out right now should be fine, but a lot of the XDA ROMs are adding features which not be 100% bug free. Give it some time, good things come to those who wait.

Ultimately this is going to be YOUR Android experience and from the sounds of it, you aren't too familiar with Android (I hope I'm not making to much of an assumption here). My advice would be to grab the Desire, carrier unlock it (if you aren't staying with Telus) and play with 2.1 for a while, keeping an eye on the 2.2 developments as you go. When you become familiar with Android and "outgrow" 2.1, then look at 2.2 (which may be available OTA by then).

Phones
    HTC One X GSM
    Galaxy Note N7000
    Galaxy Tab 8.9 LTE I957
    Carriers
    Telus HSPA
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I wouldn't be surprised if the Telus un-Desire-able* ships with 2.2 anyway.

*undesirable because it's coming 9 months late to the party and far better Android devices are out now.

Phone
    LG Nexus 5
    Carrier
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    But what "better" Android devices are available in Canada? The Galaxy Vibrant is coming but that's all ... it's really too bad we don't get the Evo 4G or Droid X.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GLHTC16V View Post
    Ultimately this is going to be YOUR Android experience and from the sounds of it, you aren't too familiar with Android (I hope I'm not making to much of an assumption here). My advice would be to grab the Desire, carrier unlock it (if you aren't staying with Telus) and play with 2.1 for a while, keeping an eye on the 2.2 developments as you go. When you become familiar with Android and "outgrow" 2.1, then look at 2.2 (which may be available OTA by then).
    The speed improvements in 2.2 seem too compelling to be patient. I seen reports that some people couldn't use their camera after the OTA upgrade though and other issues. That's a pretty huge issue it seems to me. I'm considering waiting a bit to buy the Desire now to see how other people fare. The Vibrant has some nice hardware specs but the interface looks like a$$ compared with Sense, in my opinion.

Phones
    HTC Sensation 4G
    HTC Sensation 4G
    HTC Desire
    Carrier
    Fido - PrePaid
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The speed improvements in 2.2 seem too compelling to be patient. I seen reports that some people couldn't use their camera after the OTA upgrade though and other issues. That's a pretty huge issue it seems to me. I'm considering waiting a bit to buy the Desire now to see how other people fare. The Vibrant has some nice hardware specs but the interface looks like a$$ compared with Sense, in my opinion.
    The speed improvements are great, but the speed is more in the time-to-load arena more so than the program-running. Overall smoothness is going to improve as well, but you would only notice that if you came from a previous Android device and/or used the stock OS for a while. I ran Android 2.1 for a while and the speed was excellent. I will get my HTC Desire on launch and after it has been powered up, the first thing that it will do is be rooted. More for the love of tinkering with Android than the need to have 2.2.

@lexcyn: The Samsung Galaxy S is available now, I played with it for a bit today at Best Buy. Awesome screen, super smooth but the user interface was too much iPhone, not enough Android. Tempting @ $499.99 but my heart is set on the Desire. Also, I don't think that the Evo 4G has much over the Desire as the internal bits are mostly the same (Desire has more RAM which is important for Android) and the Evo 4G has that massive screen (same resolution).