Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Nokia E72 possible with data on Fido?

Feedback Score

Exclamation Nokia E72 possible with data on Fido?

Hi all,

Glad I found these forums - they seem to be of a LOT of help to people.

I am about to add data to my Fido plan, but before I do, I would like those more knowledgeable than me to provide some guidance.

I intend to order the Nokia E72 (from Newegg.ca: E72 at Newegg).

As far as I can tell (specifications tab @ Newegg.ca), the E72 has the following bands:
    Code:
    GSM 850/900/1800/1900 MHz

UMTS 850/1900/2100 MHz
    Reading numerous dissenting posts on the subject, I have become confused as to what 3g frequencies Fido actually uses in Toronto and Waterloo areas. I would appreciate it if someone can advise as to whether this phone will connect to Fido 3g in Toronto/Waterloo regions.

Also, if anyone is using the E72 on Fido 3g, I would appreciate it if you can please tell me what settings you used to setup the internet connection(s) for 3g.

Thanks in Anticipation.

Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    Hey,

I have a E71 and it works fine. The frequencies for my phone are HSDPA 850 / 1900 /
    GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900

Fido uses 850 for 3G, and recent reports have surfaces saying they are starting to use 1900 for a while now.

You will get all data services, full speed and text messages / mms work as well (assume you know how to configure mms)

Data setting should get downloaded automatically as soon as you put your sim card in.

It's thats simple.

On the last note, I ordered a E72 as well from dell.com, had it shipped to the border, and going to pick it up tonight. Only paid 250USD. I'll also post actual experience when I get it.

Also, I think SNTraders has the E72 for 304 + tax. I think it still cheaper than newegg. They have a couple models of e72 on there, not sure why the huge price variences there. I purchased my E71 there, so It's not a bad place. You can check them out if you want. They have a store in mississiauga. www.sntradersonline.com
    Current Plan
    $50 - T-Bay Unlimited Nationwide Minutes
    6GB
    Call Display/VM/Text

Feedback Score
    EPcjay, thanks a lot for the reply.

I'll not line up (*cough*) to get one =P

Also, would you mind sharing your E72 + Fido setup experience, please? (seeing as you have ~4000 posts, can I expect a quick phone lovers' reply? :P)

(assume you know how to configure mms)
    I actually don't as I've bought basic Fidos to date. This purchase is my first venture into unlocked phones so I would appreciate your sharing those settings with me.

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    I noticed something strange at Newegg.ca, they list the E72 for $379.99 while the E72 w/Navigation Accessory is $329.99.

My question is, why is there this price difference? (link)

Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    Well, here's my quick summary.

Comparing the E71 vs the E72

-The phone is a lot faster on everything. Data Transfers, Browsing the Internet, Going though the menus, Youtube ...etc
    -The speaker sounds different, perhaps on the better side, more clear I'm not sure yet. Some reviews indicate the speaker on E71 is better. I need more time to decide
    -Buttons are exactly the same
    -Camera pictures definitely improved

When I turned on the phone, it asked basic questions like time, date, country. It gave me a brief overview of setting up nokia email. I didn't do it yet as I'm not sure if I'm keeping the phone yet. The data settings automatically downloaded onto the phone, and I did not need to configure it myself. Ran a youtube video without buffering lag, and downloaded a few apps.

I'm going to try joikuspot and see how the speed test are on this phone vs my e71 tether on my laptop later.

One thing i did notice is the vibrator is louder than my E71. It sounds like it's shaking something lose when it vibrates. Need to look into that more.

Overall, i'm quite happy with the purchase. I may return or sell it though as the features in my e71 are sufficient for me and perhaps get it when the price is even lower. I only bought it because I got it for a pretty good deal.

I did do research on the regular model and the model w/ navi car kit. There no difference at all. Pick up the one with the Navi car kit.

Feedback Score
    EPcjay,

Thanks for all the help so far. I just looked at the SNtraders site and noticed something off:
    GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
    HSDPA 900 / 1900 / 2100 - American Version
    This seems to indicate that the E72 at link will not work with Fido.

Your thoughts?

Thanks.

Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by draginox View Post
    EPcjay,

Thanks for all the help so far. I just looked at the SNtraders site and noticed something off:

This seems to indicate that the E72 at link will not work with Fido.

Your thoughts?

Thanks.
    Their description is directly from gsmarena. It could be or could be not. You'll have to call to confirm its actually a E72-2 to be sure

Feedback Score
    Hi EPcjay,

Just took a look at the SNtraders site again and found this:E72 NAM. The $500 price seems a bit high and now has me wondering if Newegg's piece is -2 or not...

Device(s)
    Blackberry Priv
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Hi EPcjay,

Just took a look at the SNtraders site again and found this:E72 NAM. The $500 price seems a bit high and now has me wondering if Newegg's piece is -2 or not...
    The way to tell is check the HSPA network - I have the E72-2 NAM, which is the American version, and it has 850Mhz as one of the 3G bands. I'm with Rogers.

The E72-1 (which is the European version) has 900Mhz for its 3G band.
    Koodo: Unlimited Canada-Wide Talk & Text | 5GB Data | CID | VM
    Total: $48 + Tax

Feedback Score
    Hi CdnDesi,

Are the HSDPA frequencies identical to the HSPA ones?

Thanks.

Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    Hi CdnDesi,

Are the HSDPA frequencies identical to the HSPA ones?

Thanks.
    Yes, frequencies are the same

Feedback Score
    Ordered =)

Feedback Score
    Brilliant phone! =D

Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    how you are you liking it? Do you have a data plan ?

Feedback Score
    Love the phone! Had a number of issues initially but fixed them by formatting the card, running *#7370# and the 3 fingered salute about twice each.

After that, it's a dream.

I got the $10 tiered data plan through retentions. It's enough for my needs considering that I only need maps through 3G, everything else I can do through WLAN.

Now for ringtones and other junk!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast