Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can I pay ETF to get a new phone?

Feedback Score

Can I pay ETF to get a new phone?

I've been searching here for about an hour and I can't find what I'm looking for. Perhaps I'm not using the right keywords in my search so forgive me if this has been asked and answered before.

Basically, I want a Droid X. I'm in a contract where I'm not eligible for an upgrade until June 2011. I don't want to wait that long. My calling plan is only $40 per month...and there is only one line on my account.

The early termination fee (ETF) on my current phone is "only" $175. And I believe it goes down $5 per month. So my question is: could I pay the $100 or so to terminate my current contract and then be eligible for a new phone at the discounted 2 year contract pricing? Makes sense to me...but will Verizon let me do that? And if so, could I keep my current number? Or might I have other options that I'm not aware of?

Any help/info is appreciated.

Phones
    iPhone 5
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    No because when you go to sign up they will see you use to be with them and you will be required to go back to your old phone and plan. If you pay the ETF, you have 90 days ( I think it is) to come back to everything, after that you will need to start over. Paying the ETF is not the way to go.

Do this:
    Upgrade you plan to the 900 min plan for 59.99 (20.00 more a month). Do an early upgrade when you are 1 year into the contract. Once you have the phone drop back to the 39.99 plan. You will have to keep the data plan.
    v Speed Test with my Motorola Droid in AL. Droid Does (and so Does Verizon).

Speed Test with my Motorola Droid in Birmingham, AL. Droid Does (and so Does Verizon).^

Speed Test with DSL internet with AT&T(Bellsouth). Horrible.

Carrier
    I <3 Verizon!
    Feedback Score
    Yes you can, but you have to wait 90 days in between to do it.

Carrier
    Current: Verizon. Former: at&t, Sprint, SunCom, PrimeCo, GTE Wireless, Contel Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Or I believe that you could add a line and then cancel your existing line and pay the ETF. The disadvantage is that you loose your phone number.

Carrier
    I <3 Verizon!
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ctk74 View Post
    Or I believe that you could add a line and then cancel your existing line and pay the ETF. The disadvantage is that you loose your phone number.
    Actually he could just port the primary line out which would cancel it, making the new line primary. Then call in and tell them he would like to replace that number with his old number, which he would now be porting in from whoever he took it to.

Feedback Score
    Hmmm...what if I add the Droid X as a new line on a family plan and give my old phone (still in its current contract) to my mom? I've been considering getting her a phone, anyway. That should enable me to get the new phone for the discounted 2 year contract price, right?

And if I did that, would Verizon let me swap numbers between the phones so I had my current number on the new Droid X?

Phone
    Cylon Droid Communicator
    Carrier
    New Caprica Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Yes & Yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by taam4t View Post
    Hmmm...what if I add the Droid X as a new line on a family plan and give my old phone (still in its current contract) to my mom? I've been considering getting her a phone, anyway. That should enable me to get the new phone for the discounted 2 year contract price, right?

And if I did that, would Verizon let me swap numbers between the phones so I had my current number on the new Droid X?
    Keep all PHONE discussion within the Verizon Phone Discussion sub forum. We will close/move threads without notice if you do not follow the the VZW forum rules. Report inappropriate posts by clicking on the red triangle in the upper right hand corner of any post, or the orange triangle in the bottom left for Premium members.

Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    One other option is to pay the non-contract price of the phone you want and forgoe any handset discount and avoid a new contract.
    If I'm annoyed and you're annoyed, does that make us a paranoid ??

Sarcasm is a fine art...

"Don't believe everything you think"

It's not a matter of if you win or lose, it's how you assign the blame

Phone
    Incredible
    Carrier
    Assimilated on Aug 7 1993
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Samsung Ophone : Opera/9.5 (Microsoft Windows; Windows CE; Opera Mobi/9.5; U; en) VZW:SCH-i910 PPC 240x400)

Quote Originally Posted by taam4t

yup.
    the United States is the land of the FREE because of the BRAVE!! Thank You to all who serve or have served and their families in the United States armed services!! Your sacrifices are NOT in vain may God continue to bless America
    For God so loves YOU, He gave His only Son....John 3:16

Phone
    FASCINATE
    Carriers
    VERIZON
    Feedback Score
    i ported out for 2 weeks and went to sprint for the evo and came back when i heard the droid x was coming out. when i ported back to verizon some glitch happened and i was available for upgrade when the account was reactivated and i had only been with verizon for 6 months before i ported for the evo. i didnt upgrade in person because i didnt want it to be suspicious so i ordered online when the X was released. so hopefully the same trick can work for you.

Phones
    iPhone 5
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Deionce View Post
    i ported out for 2 weeks and went to sprint for the evo and came back when i heard the droid x was coming out. when i ported back to verizon some glitch happened and i was available for upgrade when the account was reactivated and i had only been with verizon for 6 months before i ported for the evo. i didnt upgrade in person because i didnt want it to be suspicious so i ordered online when the X was released. so hopefully the same trick can work for you.
    I wouldn't even try it. That is very rare. You just got lucky.

Phones
    iPhone 4
    iPhone 4
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    So my employer setup a contract with ATT a few weeks ago. ATT brought out the whole local crew to sign up everyone interested in switching. Since I was up front in the meeting, they asked me for my carrier information just to demonstrate how easy the port would be. They assured me nothing would happen.

Anyway, to make a long story short, they ended up porting my line to ATT and I didn't know it for a few hours. When I realized it, I called VZW to find out how to get it fixed. I was transfered to the win-back department (think that's what they called it) and before I could explain what happened, they offered me an early upgrade at the 2 year price if I would port back today.

I'm not sure if that's standard procedure, but perhaps that's another way to get a subsidized phone. (I was about eight months into my contract)

Carrier
    I <3 Verizon!
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tuggnet View Post
    So my employer setup a contract with ATT a few weeks ago. ATT brought out the whole local crew to sign up everyone interested in switching. Since I was up front in the meeting, they asked me for my carrier information just to demonstrate how easy the port would be. They assured me nothing would happen.

Anyway, to make a long story short, they ended up porting my line to ATT and I didn't know it for a few hours. When I realized it, I called VZW to find out how to get it fixed. I was transfered to the win-back department (think that's what they called it) and before I could explain what happened, they offered me an early upgrade at the 2 year price if I would port back today.

I'm not sure if that's standard procedure, but perhaps that's another way to get a subsidized phone. (I was about eight months into my contract)
    Why would you give the at&t rep your account number and PIN?!
    All you had to do was show up with a print out of this:

Then laugh in his face and walk out....

Phones
    Motorola Droid
    Samsung Facinate
    Moto Droid
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    ETF on smart phones are now $350 not the $175 for feature and multimedia phones...

Phones
    iPhone 4
    iPhone 4
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe12304 View Post
    Why would you give the at&t rep your account number and PIN?!
    All you had to do was show up with a print out of this:

Then laugh in his face and walk out....
    It's a protracted story. Suffice it to say I intended to switch to AT&T... just not at that moment.

As far as the two maps are concerned, based on my personal experience, I've found coverage to be almost identical between both companies.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast