Thread: Help please 2G 3G or 4G - which will work ?

Feedback Score

Exclamation Help please 2G 3G or 4G - which will work ?

I admit, I haven't kept up with the technology and the new smartphones. I have an older basic phone, about 3 years old now. I need to update my phone.

I am with Bell and the phone runs on the CDMA technology.

I was thinking about getting a pay as you go phone with Fido or 7-11 (I will buy the sim card off someone) as I need a 2nd phone too.

I am planning on buying a smartphone with Wifi and with dual sim too.

So I need to know what technology each company uses before I buy the phone as some are listed as 2G or 3G or 4G.

1) For use on Fido network what Generation will work - 2G, 3G or 4G? or all of them?

2) What about the 7-11 network?

3) and finally, I see that Bell runs on HSPA now. If I do get a sim card for Bell, can any 2G, 3G or 4G phones run on Bell, or does the phone have to say HSPA?

thanks very much, as I am sort of lost.

Phones
    Moto X
    Q10
    Carriers
    Fido Solutions
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    FIDO is 2G and 3G. There is no 4G in Canada yet.

7-11 is on the Fido network, but is restricted to 2G, afaik.

Bellus new HSPA network is 3G only, so 2G phones will not work there at all.

Also, there's more to look for than just whether it's 2G/3G. You must be sure it has the correct frequencies for the network you want. Fido/Rogers/Bell/Telus/Virgin/Solo all use 850/1900Mhz HSPA.

PS: Check out WIND Mobile if you live in Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Ottawa or Toronto. You get unlimited calling for the cost of just a few minutes using pay as you go on the other companies.

(You'll need a 3G phone for WIND too, but it has to be the right frequencies for that network: 1700/2100Mhz)

Cheers.
    Last edited by credmau5; 08-08-2010 at 11:42 PM.

FIDO $55 unlimited w/5GB = $44.55 (BYOD 10% + add-a-line 10% discounts, $10/GB overage)
    WIND $15 AITF unlimited data (10GB soft cap)

All my posts are my own opinion only and not necessarily that of any of my employers, past or present.

Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    are there even any smartphones with built-in dual-sim capabilities? I havent heard of any.
    +$25 Retention Voice
    200 DT; 7pm 1000 EW
    -$5 General Credit
    +$10 UL Browsing
    CID; 100 SMS
    =$30+tax

Phones
    Unlocked Rogers Blackberry Q10 | LG Nexus-4 | Samsung Nexus-S
    Rogers SonyEricsson c510 (unlocked)
    Fido iPhone 3GS 32GB (unlocked)
    Carrier
    Fido | Rogers Prepaid | LycaMobile US | Bell | T-Mobile Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rmkbow View Post
    are there even any smartphones with built-in dual-sim capabilities? I havent heard of any.
    Yes there are "smartphones" (if your definition of a smartphone is the same as mine) but these "smartphones" are normally clones made in China. For example, I have a Chinese clone which has dual SIM capabilities and has the functions of a smartphone (browser, calendar, MP3 player, etc.). I had purchased it since I wanted to bring 1 cheap phone when I traveled to the US (but put my US SIM in 1 slot and my Canadian SIM in the other slot). This phone as do many of the other dual SIM phones that I've seen only work with GSM and don't work with HSPA/3G so it wouldn't work with Bell/Telus/Wind which don't use GSM. It would only work with Fido/Rogers/AT&T/T-Mobile (and the MVNOs that use these carrier's networks).
    Fido (monthly plan - personal/data): Novatel Wireless MC950D or Nokia CS-18

Fido (monthly): ZTE WF720 Wireless Home Phone

Rogers (pay as you go - Canadian prepaid): "Fido" Samsung Nexus-S

Rogers (monthly BIS data plan): Blackberry Q10 <- CANCELLED over Dispute

Lycamobile (US prepaid): Sony-Ericsson c510 or Sony-Ericsson w300i

T-Mobile (US prepaid): unlocked Fido iPhone 3GS 32GB or LG Nexus-4

Bell (tablet plan): LG Nexus-4

My Tech Blog

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lmcjipo View Post
    Yes there are "smartphones" (if your definition of a smartphone is the same as mine) but these "smartphones" are normally clones made in China. For example, I have a Chinese clone which has dual SIM capabilities and has the functions of a smartphone (browser, calendar, MP3 player, etc.). I had purchased it since I wanted to bring 1 cheap phone when I traveled to the US (but put my US SIM in 1 slot and my Canadian SIM in the other slot). This phone as do many of the other dual SIM phones that I've seen only work with GSM and don't work with HSPA/3G so it wouldn't work with Bell/Telus/Wind which don't use GSM. It would only work with Fido/Rogers/AT&T/T-Mobile (and the MVNOs that use these carrier's networks).
    thanks justincredible and Imcjipo.

that answers a lot.

I was planning to buy one off ebay, one of those cheaper chinese clones. Type in dual sim and gsm and wifi, and several will come up.

but when you say HSPA/3G won't work with Bell or Telus, but won't they, as Bell has gone 3G as well?

and is there a lot of difference in speed for web browsing between 3G and 2G???