Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Voicemail Number Configuration on Galaxy S?

Phones
    HTC Raider
    HTC Raider
    Samsung Galaxy S
    Carrier
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score

Voicemail Number Configuration on Galaxy S?

I just picked up a Galaxy S.

I was going through the settings menu, call settings, voicemail, voicemail number...

I found it odd that my voicemail number is set to +16473832355 as I am in Montreal, is that not a long distance number? ie Toronto?

Can anyone in Montreal check what voicemail number is configured in their Galaxy S?

Thanks,

Phone
    nexus 4
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile Canada
    Feedback Score
    I thought it was odd as well and just figured it was something to do with the way the new network handles voicemail.

I'm in the GTA and the number is local to me so I haven't bothered investigating any further.

Phones
    HTC Raider
    HTC Raider
    Samsung Galaxy S
    Carrier
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    I just got off the phone with Bell, who confirmed that this is a standard number for voicemail across Canada, and that there are no long distance fees when the cell phone dials out to voicemail to this number.

There you go.

Carrier
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Anyone knows how to add pauses and password dialing automatically?

Phone
    Moto E815
    Carrier
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by knightdaemon View Post
    anyone knows how to add pauses and password dialing automatically?
    i have not figured out how to add pauses and pins when using the 1647... (on bell in w canada) number. However if you create a contact in your book you can add a comma for every 3 second pause. For my voicemail i used 1xxx-xxx-xxxx,,xxxx,,11

i dont hear the pin tones being sent thru but it does go to my voicemail box
    Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant "DROID"

Phones
    Apple iPhone 5
    Samsung A900 (retired)
    Samsung A600 (retired)
    Carrier
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    My Sister just picked up the Galaxy S - awesome phone, I must say!!! (still debating between iPhone and S)

Anyways, this is one of the first things I noticed last night too!

The voicemail # is completely different from her actual phone #. I can't recall exactly, but the voicemail number in pure_energy's original post looks the same as the number set in my Sister's Galaxy S as well?

Is it safe to change it to her actual number?

Also, I recall seeing another phone # somewhere else in the menu settings as well, but I didn't change it, as I didn't know what it was for either. I'll try to find it the next time I play with my Sister's phone.

Phone
    Galaxy Note 3; Nexus 5
    Carrier
    TELUS
    Feedback Score
    If you're using your Galaxy S to check voice mail, you need only open up your phone keypad and hold down the 1 for a second or two and it will automatically dial in to your voice mail.

If you're calling from a phone other than your own mobile phone, just call your own mobile number and hit the # when you hear your voice mail greeting.

The (647) number is kind of irrelevant.

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Neat tip, but the 647 number is still relevant because it still gets to voicemail by calling that number.

Phones
    HTC Raider
    HTC Raider
    Samsung Galaxy S
    Carrier
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Salinger View Post
    If you're using your Galaxy S to check voice mail, you need only open up your phone keypad and hold down the 1 for a second or two and it will automatically dial in to your voice mail.

If you're calling from a phone other than your own mobile phone, just call your own mobile number and hit the # when you hear your voice mail greeting.

The (647) number is kind of irrelevant.
    Sorry, but I beg to differ.
    The 647 number is relevant because if you look at your outgoing call list after pressing 1 to dial into your voicemail, you'll notice that it dialed the 647 number!
    Someone not expecting to see a long distance number being dialed from their phone would be curious, as I was.

Phone
    Galaxy Note 3; Nexus 5
    Carrier
    TELUS
    Feedback Score
    I only meant it's irrelevant, read unnecessary, in the fact that there's no charge and you don't need to memorize it even when calling from another phone.

My bill never shows the (647) number it shows "MsgCR" under "type", and my mobile number under "number called".

Even if you do consider it relevant because of your call log, it become irrelevant the moment you find out the details about it listed in this thread. So, at best, it's "temporarily relevant"

Phones
    Apple iPhone 5 64gb
    Blackberry Pearl 8130, Blackberry 7250
    Motorola Timeport p8767, Nokia 6185
    Carrier
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    That 647 number is a gateway line into the voicemail system. When you call it from your cellphone the equipment sees your cellphone and directs you to the right VMBox... otherwise it asks the caller to type in the number they are trying to call...
    Cheeri'o...
    Frankie...

Please Note: I do not work for Bell. I also do not work for any wireless retail outlet.
    Do not ask me about promotions or offers from wireless providers.

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    It's relevant in that the phone needs to be set up with that number in the voice mail configuration, not in that you need to to dial it or that it will show up on the bill.

Phones
    D/\RK S|DE Atrix Unlocked and my trusty BB 9100
    HTC One M8 (ViperROM)
    Samsung S5 Gold draped in leather
    Carrier
    Bell (Unlimited HSPA Data!)
    Feedback Score
    Look, this is a little GSM 101 stuff. The system now has a specific access number and uses your subscriber info to log you in. Benefit: Bell CDMA charged long distance to access your voicemail while out of town because your calling a LD number. The system number is generic, so no more charges (except airtime)! Trust me, this is a good thing

Bell: 200 Anytime, 6PM E&W, Fab 10, unlimited data, unlimited Messaging, Caller ID & Visual Voicemail $52.75
    Rogers: 3100 anytime, unlimited incoming, 6 PM E&W, unlimited text, unlimited canadian long distance, 6 GB data, caller id with name and voicemail $44.85
    Tab: $10/500MB
    "I won't even buy Apple juice anymore!"

Phone
    Moto E815
    Carrier
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by frankie5string View Post
    That 647 number is a gateway line into the voicemail system. When you call it from your cellphone the equipment sees your cellphone and directs you to the right VMBox... otherwise it asks the caller to type in the number they are trying to call...
    Do you mean that if I dial the 647 # from my Galaxy it should go to my voicemail box? Mine doesn't. I have done this and I still need to answer my pin to get in. Can the 647 # be edited (and how) to include my pin and go in or will I have to just use my contact "Voicemail" with my attached pin to retrieve. Entering a pin etc while I'm driving is a hassle.

Phones
    Apple iPhone 5 64gb
    Blackberry Pearl 8130, Blackberry 7250
    Motorola Timeport p8767, Nokia 6185
    Carrier
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dwh_72 View Post
    Do you mean that if I dial the 647 # from my Galaxy it should go to my voicemail box? Mine doesn't. I have done this and I still need to answer my pin to get in. Can the 647 # be edited (and how) to include my pin and go in or will I have to just use my contact "Voicemail" with my attached pin to retrieve. Entering a pin etc while I'm driving is a hassle.
    No, it's actually putting you in the right VM box, but your VM box is set to ask you for your pin. When you hold down the 1 in the dialing application, does it dial your own number? Most of the phones are designed to work this way.

You may want to check the "Personal Options" menu in your VM system to see if there's a way to turn off PIN requests... if so, it will simply welcome you when you call in from your cell and not need a PIN. Some of the VM systems prior to the Comverse system Bell just installed had this option - since I'm on an iPhone with VVM, it's a bit different but honestly I haven't used the feature in a while.

Give that a try...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast