Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How do they decide what phones will work in my areas??

Feedback Score

How do they decide which phones will work in my areas??

So, according to the net10 website, the samsung t201g, 401g, and about 4 other GSM phones will work in my area, but the moto em326g, also a GSM phone, won't work? Why??
    I have the 201g and it does work, but not very well. My old cmda phone from verizon gets better reception, even though the net10 site doesn't list a single cmda phone as compatible with my area (last week it had two cmda phones listed for my area!).

Phones
    SAM T404g
    MOT W490,Nokia 6030
    SE TM506,LG VX5600
    Carrier
    T-MO/TRAC/VZ
    Feedback Score
    It would help if you had your zip code listed.

Feedback Score
    They show you what is cheapest for them and what they want you to buy. Not necessarily what is actually best for your area. You have to manipulate the system in order to get the phone you want.

Feedback Score
    em326g disappears for SoCal too as soon as I put in a SoCal zip code (90012). Maybe they are not making enough money off it?

Phones
    Samsung T201G
    Motorola W376
    BlackBerry 8703e
    Carriers
    AT&T (Tracfone / Net10)
    Feedback Score
    The EM326 is a feature phone and likely is programmed for AT&T based service only. Tracfone prefers T-Mobile now because it is cheaper for them to use their services. If they are going to sell the phone much longer, they will probably get some in that are programmed for T-Mo soon.

Feedback Score
    My zip code is 97333.
    It gives me 8 phone choices:
    lg300
    lg320g
    lg400
    lg600g
    lg1500
    t102g
    t201g
    t401g

Last week it also had the lg290c, t301g, r355c, r451c, and several motorolas listed in addition to these.

Besides the em326, I was also considering the lg290c, 200c, or 220c, but the battery life looks very poor.
    Last edited by Seijun; 08-12-2010 at 05:40 PM.

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    You are in the Net10 GSM5AT market, which is GSM phones only, NEVER any CDMA`s offered. This market almost always means a T-Mobile SIM card will be with the phone. T-Mobile is knows for inferior coverage compared to AT&T, the other GSM provider. You are allowed to order a phone out of another Net10 market (but shipped to you in your market), if the phone will be used there the most or if it is going there as a gift.

Read thru the following, starting about 1/3 of the way down (mostly disregarding the offering Info as some of it is slightly outdated). Look for the Info on ordering out of your market and which zip codes to use for CDMA or GSM with AT&T: http://thejmart.com/tracfone.htm

Go to the very bottom and click on each of the four Net10 markets to go to the Net10 order offering pages.
    You cannot order from these pages, you have to go to the Net10 site and use a zip code.

Use this site to determine a phones service provider, if you or someone else is not sure or you want to varify you/they are correct (you can check anyones phone number): https://www.wirelessamberalerts.org/index.jsp

Carriers
    T-Mobile Prepaid
    Truphone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    <snip> T-Mobile is knows for inferior coverage compared to AT&T, the other GSM provider. <snip>
    This is a misleading statement. Whether ATT or TMo has better coverage depends on the specific area. Where I live (Minn) TMo is way better than ATT & Verizon, even in a lot of rural areas, where TMo roams on other towers. I know: we've had service with all three of them. The OP needs to talk with people in his/her area that have both ATT & TMo and get first hand experiences with coverage in that area.

Feedback Score
    Thanks everyone for the very helpful replies. I am going to try my luck with a cdma instead. I KNOW i get cdma coverage here from both sprint and verizon towers, regardless of what the net10 website says.

Carrier
    All of them.
    Feedback Score
    Well, Verizon 'big red' pretty much has the entire US covered, same with AT&T.. its almost as good as it gets. The T-Mobile sims usually do allow roaming on AT&T but if you switch into a roaming area you will drop the call and need to wait a minute for it to find the new signal... from my experiences on Net10.

T-Mobile is junk here in WI unless you are in, around, or near Milwaukee and never go north or west.
    Home ISP, RR-Ultimate WiFi, $90/mo | Verizon 4G, $30/mo Unlimited

School, $5,000/semester | Work

Phones
    SAM T404g
    MOT W490,Nokia 6030
    SE TM506,LG VX5600
    Carrier
    T-MO/TRAC/VZ
    Feedback Score
    If you really like the Motorola rm326g just buy it in a store instead of ordering it. The store sets have AT&T sims. I punched in your zipcode and Best Buy & Walmart have stores in your area that may carry them.

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Seijun View Post
    Thanks everyone for the very helpful replies. I am going to try my luck with a cdma instead. I KNOW i get cdma coverage here from both sprint and verizon towers, regardless of what the net10 website says.
    Trac does not have any contracts with Sprint for roaming on them.

Feedback Score
    My mistake. but they do from verizon.

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Seijun View Post
    My mistake. but they do from verizon.
    Yes, Verizon and other smaller CDMA Roaming partners .

Phones
    Samsung T201G
    Motorola W376
    BlackBerry 8703e
    Carriers
    AT&T (Tracfone / Net10)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    Trac does not have any contracts with Sprint for roaming on them.
    They do here. Verizon has no service at my home while Sprint has 4-5 bars. My father's V60 on Tracfone's Verizon based service works just fine here (at 2X for roaming). They do not sell phones using Sprint as its primary provider, but Tracfone will gladly roam on their towers if a Verizon or USCC tower is unavailable.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast