When 2.1 was first available, I upgraded my Milestone ~ April. Since then I have had nothing but grief with the 2 pop email accounts that are on the phone.
For both of them:
- almost always, mail is not coming down to the phone on its scheduled basis, 15 minutes.
- in the list of all accounts, the pop ones almost never have the "new" indication - green circle with number.
- if I power off the phone, all 3 steps, then back on, the notification goes beserek with new mail on the pop accounts that I knew was there because I had looked at webmail, and left the new ones as unread. Even with this process, the combined list does not have the green circles with number of new items.
And on top of it all, the Motorola forums have had rumours of 2.2 not being available for the Milestone - a little tough to accept at this point as it seems that 2.2 has only recently been released.
Thanks for reading and any advice that you might have.
i wouldn't rule out 2.2 for the milestone... The Verizon just started releasing the 2.2 update for the CDMA droid, there really isn't a reason for telus not to release it be optimistic
as for your email issue i had almost the same thing happen when i first got the phone but it was already at 2.1. I tried everything i could think of to correct it but eventually just factory reset the phone and the problem was solved. Delving into the root of the issue would have been way too time consuming for me.
I know it's not great advice, but thanks to the google sync losing your contacts isn't an issue... For me it was re-tweaking the phone.
If you fix it without resetting let me know how you did it.
Thank you for this info. I will wait a day or two to try this, as today I received a notice of update to my phone. I have applied the update and will let it go for a few days to see if pop email is handled properly with is minor upgrade.
So, I first did the minor upgrade and the phone's pop email behaviour continued in that it does not seem to make contact with my pop accounts.
I did a Factory Reset (Settings, Privacy, Factory Data Reset).
The phone and pop email seemed to be behaving in a proper manner. I was connected to the LAN in my office and it continued to do what it was supposed to do. I even installed one of the previous apps and still life was good.
I get home and now my home LAN is what I am connected to; we are back to the old behaviour whereby the phone does not successfully connect to my pop email accounts and I am not getting the messages. How do I know that it does not connect?
- I have frequency set to 5 minutes.
- I have looked at my email via a webmail and there are new items far older than 5 minutes
- I tested the incoming settings and they do not work after 20 minutes.
Maybe it has something to do with Wi-Fi Sleep Policy. Should I set that to NEVER? But what about when I am out of range of all subscribed wireless networks?
This wild goose chase is quite quickly changing my wife's desire for a Milestone to an iPhone!!!!