Thread: Change Phones - Lose Minutes?

Feedback Score

Change Phones - Lose Minutes?

I am changing Straight Talk phones. When I do a phone upgrade, do I lose my current plans days I have left?

Phones
    Straight Talk E71
    Nokia E71
    E71
    Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Yes wait till your ready to Add a Card for the Next Period.

Feedback Score
    No you dont loose your minutes.

Carrier
    I <3 Verizon!
    Feedback Score
    No. You lose nothing.

Phone
    LG Optimus V
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    With the new ST phones added to the mix....LG620G, Samsung T401G....more on the way......things may not be so easy.

As long as you are changing to and from the same Technology phone(CDMA to CDMA or GSM to GSM), you will not lose any time.

If you are changing from CDMA to GSM or GSM to CDMA you need to wait until the Service End Date, because that is essentially a 'Port' to a different carrier.

Carrier
    Strayed Talk
    Feedback Score
    sfot is correct.

►►► U.S. Ranks Dead Last In Overall Social Spending (Read the comments section too!)

►►► The Scam Behind The Rise In Oil And Food Prices

THINK for yourself!
    QUESTION authority!
    Realize that ALL governments LIE!
    Don't be one of the sheeple!

Feedback Score
    I have a GSM phone. The online phone upgrade tells me I have no options for an upgrade, wont even let me change to another GSM phone without getting a new number.

If you are changing from CDMA to CDMA you can do it online and usually takes less then an hour to complete and it does not change your minutes/text or data remaining.

I got crappy coverage with the CDMA phone on Straight Talk/Verizon and switched to the T401G which is on Straight Talk/T-mobile and it took them 2 weeks to complete it.

The new GSM phones operate on AT&T or T-mobile. You can look at the bottom of the packaging for an "A" or "T".

Feedback Score
    Thought I would post an update. I just got finished upgrading my phone (had a CDMA phone, now have a GSM phone). I had around 15 days left on my plan, and I called Straight Talk customer service and I asked the guy if he could transfer my current plan to me new GSM phone and he said yes (I actually got a whole month now on my plan, so I gained 15 free days).

I called them Tuesday night around 6 and they had my number transferred by Wednesday afternoon.

I also tried taking the SIM out of my new Straight Talk GSM phone and putting it in an unlocked cell phone I had used for a previous carrier and the phone worked just fine! I was able to make calls on that phone also. (so I assume the SIM isn't locked down to just Straight Talk phones?)

Feedback Score
    The latter part, about transferring the SIM to an unlocked phone, is most interesting. Now all I need it to transfer to a GSM phone (not easy in NC, I imagine) and then find an unlocked android phone (preferable one with a big screen). Guess I'll be using my RAZR for a while, but has anyone done this?

Phone
    LG Optimus V
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by beand1p View Post
    Thought I would post an update. I just got finished upgrading my phone (had a CDMA phone, now have a GSM phone). I had around 15 days left on my plan, and I called Straight Talk customer service and I asked the guy if he could transfer my current plan to me new GSM phone and he said yes (I actually got a whole month now on my plan, so I gained 15 free days).

I called them Tuesday night around 6 and they had my number transferred by Wednesday afternoon.

I also tried taking the SIM out of my new Straight Talk GSM phone and putting it in an unlocked cell phone I had used for a previous carrier and the phone worked just fine! I was able to make calls on that phone also. (so I assume the SIM isn't locked down to just Straight Talk phones?)
    Very interesting about the SIM working in the unlocked phone. I believe I read on here somewhere of others that could not get that to work with theirs. Which model phone did you get(the ST one, not the unlocked one)?

Edit: on second thought, what models are both, the ST and the unlocked one?

Second edit: disregard, I saw your posts in the other thread.
    Last edited by sfot; 08-19-2010 at 07:09 PM.