Thread: Google voice w/ Virgin mobile

Phone
    Samsung Flip (Basic)
    Carriers
    Cingular Prepaid
    Feedback Score

Google voice w/ Virgin mobile

Anyone know if they are compatible? My old cricket phone was incompatibile. I'm really hoping they are as my google voice number is my most permanent number.

Feedback Score
    I'm not entirely sure

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    GV can forward to any US number, therefore a virgin mobile number is compatible.

Phone
    Samsung Flip (Basic)
    Carriers
    Cingular Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    right but the kicker is, can you access google voice thru virgin mobile, see the problem i had with cricket was when i called my google number to check voicemail it said "insufficient funds," even though i was on an unlimited plan. it simply wasnt supported. dig?

Phones
    LG G2
    LG G2
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    GV works with my VM Berry.

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    The only thing that does not work with Google Voice and Virgin Mobile is having Google Voice take over the voicemail box when someone calls your Virgin Mobile phone number.

The alternative is to get a brand new Google Voice phone number, and have that number forwarded to your Virgin Mobile number. I have that setup, and it works great.

The Google Voice application for Blackberry works great on the Virgin Mobile 8530 Blackberry Curve.

Feedback Score
    Maybe a dumb question but Is there a way to dial out from the gv number on your VM device (namely Blackberry) or when ppl call your gv number (which is fwd'd to your VM phone) does it use minutes either way? I searched and couldn't find anything on this.

Feedback Score
    I just signed up with Google Voice on my Virgin BlackBerry. Heres what I noticed... You can dial out from GV by calling your Google number and then pressing 2. Its even easier to to dial out using the GV app from m.google.com/voice. Looking at my account activity, it does look like it is using VM minutes, even if you use the GV app.

Anyone, feel free to confirm or correct me.

Phones
    LG G2
    LG G2
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Yea, you do use VM minutes. But after instaling it just find contact and hit the menu and select call with GV.

Maybe a dumb question but Is there a way to dial out from the gv number on your VM device (namely Blackberry) or when ppl call your gv number (which is fwd'd to your VM phone) does it use minutes either way? I searched and couldn't find anything on this.
    Not well enough, it's documented everywhere. Here in this forum, and the GV forum, on Google's site etc.
    Today a group of leading venture capitalists published an open letter to the FCC calling on them to prevent what they say would be the end of net neutrality and a crippling blow to young startups.
    No Google, say it ain't (or wouldn't of been ) so! ATT and Verizon would have killed their own cash cow.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CA View Post
    Yea, you do use VM minutes. But after instaling it just find contact and hit the menu and select call with GV.

Not well enough, it's documented everywhere. Here in this forum, and the GV forum, on Google's site etc.
    To be fair to lilanaomi I tried doing research on GV before I signed up for it because I wasn't sure exactly how it worked, specifically with VM. There was a lot of misinformation and confusion on whether it worked or not. In the end, I just had to sign up to it and see for myself.

Thanks for the tip about the "call with GV" in the contacts menu. I'm loving GV even more! And how cool is the transcribed voicemail?

Phones
    LG G2
    LG G2
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    You can text from the same menu too! I love it, I have three phones all with different numbers (that I don't give out to just anyone, the ones that do get my cell number know that it's only one of three so they just use my GV number) and callers think I'm calling and texting from my cell number, when it's just a proxy.

Feedback Score
    Does the equivalent of Sprint's "pick 3" or Sprint to Home exist as a free or low-cost option for Virgin Mobile? Then incoming and outgoing GV calls would incur no charges.

Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ejlmd View Post
    Does the equivalent of Sprint's "pick 3" or Sprint to Home exist as a free or low-cost option for Virgin Mobile? Then incoming and outgoing GV calls would incur no charges.
    no

Virgin mobile currently has a beyond plan and a payLo plan
    http://www.virginmobileusa.com/shop.html

Feedback Score
    Ari has a background in psychology, technology, journalism and a few other 'ologies' and 'isms'. This combination of experience allows him to provide a unique perspective on the world of wireless technology. He hopes to bring timely news, insight,...

Los Angeles, California, United States, 106049936100816, Los Angeles, California, United States
    Phones
    iPod Touch 2nd Gen
    LG Rumor Touch
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Google Voice works sort of with my LG Rumor Touch on Virgin Mobile. The web app doesn't work on my phone. I can call out using GV by calling my GV number and then option 2 and dialing the number I want to call. There are some places - areas around BWI airport and elsewhere in Maryland for instance -where I can't reach my own GV number to check messages or make calls. Calling from the web or my iPod Touch on wifi in those areas works so must be the Virgin Mobile network. Others trying to reach my GV number from those areas get the same message I do: "We're sorry, the number you have reached is no longer in service...." I don't know if using the GV app with the Samsung Intercept on Virgin Mobile would work in those areas for that reason.