Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tether to laptop, 2gb limit?

Feedback Score

Tether to laptop, 2gb limit?

Buying a droid for verizon. On Sprint, I could tether all month long with pdanet. Is it the same way with verizon? Do I need to root the phone? And is it really unlimited data like advertised or 2gb? Thx.

Phones
    A phone
    with buttons
    'n stuff
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (out there: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; DROIDX Build/VZW) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17 480X854 motorola DROIDX)

The "Mobile Hotspot" feature is limited to 2GB, correct. Using PDAnet is considered theft of service.

Phones
    Storm 9550 - work
    Storm 9530 (2 of em)
    Pearl Flip - personal
    Carrier
    Verizon-for now, their incessant bugging to get off my alltel plan is annoying
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (BB: BlackBerry9550/5.0.0.320 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Correct, unlimited theft of service.
    Alltelives: I'm a "King Member" Stunke said so

Phone
    Galaxy S5
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    While I won't comment on the "theft of service" (IMHO it's not)....

You don't need PDAnet - the DroidX has Bluetooth PAN open. So you connect to that and can tether for free....

Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Carrier
    Verizon (Alltel Plan)
    Feedback Score
    There is a tethering package that is $30/month add'l and has a 5GB limit before overage charges kick in.

Feedback Score
    If you use PDAnet, you can tether all you want as it's totally unlimited. Obviously Verizon doesn't approve of that but since they give you unlimited date, you won't be charged.

Phones
    A phone
    with buttons
    'n stuff
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (out there: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; DROIDX Build/VZW) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17 480X854 motorola DROIDX)

Quote Originally Posted by csnut18
    If you use PDAnet, you can tether all you want as it's totally unlimited. Obviously Verizon doesn't approve of that but since they give you unlimited date, you won't be charged.
    Unless they do find out, in which case you will be charged. A lot.

Phones
    MOT Droid Mini,
    Home Phone Connect,
    MOT Droid 3,
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cellfreak View Post
    While I won't comment on the "theft of service" (IMHO it's not)....
    Verizon charges $30/month to use its network for tethering. Making use of tethering, and not paying for such usage, is indeed "theft of service". Having not been caught yet, doesn't change that fact.

BTW, most users have the unlimited webpage and email data plan. Those who do tether, tend to use types of data not covered by that.

Phones
    iPhone 5s 32GB
    HTC One
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    My plan description doesn't say anything about webpage and email. It specifically says Unlimited Data for my Dinc. I don't see anything wrong with going around their "plans" for tethering. You're still using data on the phone, which is unlimited. I'm not exactly sure what you're problem with that is. I'm not all for this nickle and dime crap that they try and pull. $30 to tether, and it's not unlimited, ON TOP of your plan that already includes unlimited data from the smartphone. Pulease. Sell that to someone who doesn't know any better.

Phones
    A phone
    with buttons
    'n stuff
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (out there: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; DROIDX Build/VZW) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17 854X480 motorola DROIDX)

Quote Originally Posted by F34R
    My plan description doesn't say anything about webpage and email. It specifically says Unlimited Data for my Dinc. I don't see anything wrong with going around their "plans" for tethering. You're still using data on the phone, which is unlimited. I'm not exactly sure what you're problem with that is. I'm not all for this nickle and dime crap that they try and pull. $30 to tether, and it's not unlimited, ON TOP of your plan that already includes unlimited data from the smartphone. Pulease. Sell that to someone who doesn't know any better.
    Have you even read the name of the feature you are paying for?

Phones
    iPhone 5s 32GB
    HTC One
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Explain what you mean please? I've definitely read it.

Phones
    A phone
    with buttons
    'n stuff
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (out there: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; DROIDX Build/VZW) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17 854X480 motorola DROIDX)

Explain what you mean please? I've definitely read it.
    Email and web for smartphone.

Where does that say unlimited data? Additionally, the terms of service specifically say no tethering. Since you read it, how did you misinterpret that?

Phones
    iPhone 5s 32GB
    HTC One
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Well, I'd only be emailing and using the web, via the smartphone.

When I click on the link for Unlimited Email & Web for Smartphones in my plan section of my account it says unlimited web access. So excuse the improper terminology when I said "data", instead of "access".

Doesn't change anything though.

Phones
    A phone
    with buttons
    'n stuff
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Well, I'd only be emailing and using the web, via the smartphone.

When I click on the link for Unlimited Email & Web for Smartphones in my plan section of my account it says unlimited web access. So excuse the improper terminology when I said "data", instead of "access".

Doesn't change anything though.
    And your excuse for ignoring the terms of service?

Phone
    Nexus 5, Galaxy S4 GPE, Moto X, iPad Air, Nexus 7
    Carrier
    AT&T, VZW
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WaltA View Post

BTW, most users have the unlimited webpage and email data plan. Those who do tether, tend to use types of data not covered by that.
    What about the data all the apps use like youtube, internet radio apps etc? I don't buy that a computer uses different kind of data then a phone. I have read recently that a smartphone is harder on the data network then tethering because its always connecting and disconnecting, "checking" for email etc.. When you tether you just pull down more at one shot then its done for a bit.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast