Thread: VZW to ATT. Denver Coverage.

Phones
    iPhone 4
    iPhone 4
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

VZW to ATT. Denver Coverage.

I've been with VZW for about ten years. Over the past three years service at my home has gone in the toilet. I called yesterday to ask if they would give me a network extender but was treated pretty rudely.

So... I'm thinking about moving over to AT&T.

I'm wondering if anyone could comment about first hand experiences with AT&T coverage in South Denver, or Parker area. Also would love to hear about experiences along the I-25 corridor from Ft. Collins to Colorado Springs. (daughter goes to CSU and I drive to Colorado Springs for work)

Thanks for any info!

Phone
    HTC Vivid with ICS
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I live in Colorado Springs and have no problems at all with my AT&T service, from Springs all the way to North Denver is great, Pueblo and the area out around the Flatiron mall north of Denver it runs Edge but everywhere else is solid 3G, the other factor is that I do not use any branded AT&T phones, I purchase strictly unlocked and unbranded GSM phones that have the 850/1900 AT&T 3g bands in them and they have great reception and I have never had a dropped call in any of the years I have been with AT&T.

Phones
    Apple iPhone 4, Sprint Treo 800w
    iPhone 4
    Palm Treo 800W
    Carriers
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Rural coverage (southern) will get better in the not too distant future, as AT&T has picked up Alltel
    http://www.att.com/mergers/alltel/im...iacMarkets.jpg

I drove from Colorado Springs to Glenwood Springs, and didn't have any issues (3 years ago though).
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Phone
    Apple iPhone 5
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    An area that AT&T will most likely expand a lot into after they got all the stuff from alltel
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoDough View Post
    You have been trying for 5 years to work for AT&T? Are you retarded?

Carrier
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    I moved to Texas from Golden a year ago, but while I was there AT&T coverage in Denver was generally very good. I never dropped calls and encountered very few dead zones (usually near hills such as Table Mesa). As for I-25, you can count on having consistent 3G coverage the entire way from Fort Collins to Colorado Springs and in all the communities in between (Loveland, Monument, etc). I've driven the entire length of I-25 from South Academy to Cheyenne many times in the last couple years (though never in one stretch), so I have a very good feel for the coverage along that highway and I never once doubted that I would have 3G coverage when I wanted it. The one exception is that 3G does die off once you get within a few miles of the Wyoming border.

The real problem in Denver is the network speed. The last two years Denver has been demonstrated to have one of the slowest networks on AT&T's system (I think it was PC Mag or Wired that did the test). In my experience I would usually get download speeds of 500-750Kbps. Here in Texas it's usually closer to 1-2Mbps. Things may have changed in the last year though, so someone who's still living there may need to provide more recent results.

Phones
    iPhone 4
    Palm Treo 800W
    Carriers
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    I think that AT&T doesn't (or didn't) have enough spectrum initially deployed in Denver and suffered many 3G issues. I think they have at least 850/1900 on 3G now, but I haven't been to Denver since 3G was deployed.

Phone
    HTC Vivid with ICS
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I was in Denver yesterday and had no problems at all with full 3G coverage there. I was mainly on Colorado Blvd. up by the Museam, but at the Park Meadows mall also. Spent most of the day there and the phone never once went lower than 5 bars even in the Mall where they now have signal repeaters for the Apple store.

Phones
    iPhone 2G
    iPhone 3G
    iPhone 3GS
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    I think that AT&T doesn't (or didn't) have enough spectrum initially deployed in Denver and suffered many 3G issues. I think they have at least 850/1900 on 3G now, but I haven't been to Denver since 3G was deployed.
    They announced the 850/1900 coverage back in September. I still have that email that AT&T sent me. I've dropped three phone calls since then on my 3GS but zero calls on my iPhone 4.

As far as data speeds generally suck in the daytime. Sometimes I get barely 100Kbps in the day but at night, I get at least 3Mbps on the iPhone 4.

Phones
    iPhone 4
    Palm Treo 800W
    Carriers
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    I'm sure that things are 'better' since 850/1900. Now its a question of backhaul and 3g spectrum capacity.

Here in LA County (or at least northern Los Angeles area), there's 2 channels of 3G on 1900MHz and one on 850MHz.
    Depending on where you go, speeds can be anywhere from 500kbps-1.5Mbps (backhaul issue?) to 2.5-3.3Mbps (fiber fed?).

Best time for speeds for me is before 7 am.

Phones
    iPhone 4
    iPhone 4
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the info, guys. I've decided to port my five lines from VZW to ATT. Ordered two iPhones last Friday. Waiting for them to come in to complete the port.

Nothing against VZW... it's just that wonderful network doesn't seem to work at my house.

Carrier
    I <3 Verizon!
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tuggnet View Post
    Thanks for the info, guys. I've decided to port my five lines from VZW to ATT. Ordered two iPhones last Friday. Waiting for them to come in to complete the port.

Nothing against VZW... it's just that wonderful network doesn't seem to work at my house.
    Which may be caused by something blocking the tower. If at&t is on the same tower....well at least you can cancel.

Phone
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    American Telephone & Telegraph Company
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, good point. I hope you tried somebody else's AT&T phone before to make sure you get service where you need it rather than porting 5 lines blindly...

PRL Interpretations
    XFF's AlphaTag software
    Cellular and PCS License Maps
    Quote Originally Posted by gpatrick900
    I am a little confused. My Verizon phone was able to roam on GSM because they used TDMA. Tell it was shutdown. The phone recognizes it as Analog. If PCS has TDMA, It could be technically be used on GSM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabla View Post
    Y'know, I'm used to hysterical 14-year-old ******** on the internet, but this is exceptional. Never before in human history have so many nerds hyperventilated so publicly over so little.

Phones
    iPhone 4
    iPhone 4
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    You bet I did. Used several different phones too. Very good coverage in the house and even in the basement.

Carrier
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    I had issues around Coors Field (not being able to use data and not being able to make calls on 3G) last year. A friend of mine has an iPhone and still has some issues there. I also had issues in the DTC with network speed and some drops but that was before 3G was put on 850.

I know some people with ATT in Parker and they seem happy with the network.

Feedback Score
    http://reviews.cnet.com/cell-phone-coverage-map/

CNET now has nice, independent coverage maps of the 4 major carriers in many major metro areas based on actual signal readings. You can even compare data performance and voice performance (depending on what you care about) and check the actual locations that you use your phone.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast