Thread: LG GS170 phone access via USB data cable

Phones
    Moto V195
    Moto V195
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

LG GS170 phone access via USB data cable

I just picked up an LG GS170 phone (low-end flip-phone) with T-Mobile. I was able to use a micro-USB cable and Windows device driver I found from LG so my computer would recognize the phone in the device manager. But I can't do anything with it--no mounted "drive" and I haven't been able to find any Software (LG or third-party) that recognizes the phone (upload/download/edit address book; upload ringtones or wallpapers). I could do that with my old Motorola V195 phone. I have found some website that claim to have "apps" for the GS170 phone (wallpapers, small programs -- jar or zip files) but I can't do anything with them since I don't now how to upload them to the phone.

Any ideas for "mounting" the phone, or programs that will talk to it at least for things such as backing up the address book?

Phones
    G1
    HTC S620(Dash)-Flashed to 3VO 6.5 STD ROM
    Sony TM506 (flashed)
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    There's a freeware app called "send to phone" by mobilatory that will transfer a internet link to your phone via text message, that stays active for a 1/2 hour. I've used it for a little Nokia 2760 that I have that I can't seem to find a good usb cable for. You do have to have WAP internet connection in order to use. Works good. I transferred games and apps with this method.
    Use this link - http://www.mobilatory.com/send-to-phone or google "send to phone mobilatory" and it will pop up.
    As far as backing up contacts - sync with google ?

Feedback Score
    As far as ringtones go.. the swiftest way is to edit your own mp3, upload to a web URL on your computer and then point the GS-170 webbrowser to the file. It will ask if you want to play or save the file. I believe you can do the same with gif or jpeg for image files.

Feedback Score
    So, since the internal screen on my phone is broken and doesn't provide any display at all for me to be able to activate WAP, or in fact do anything at all with it, does that mean that I can't even retrieve my photos from it? I find it hard to believe that any phone manufacturer would allow a phone to be sold without some kind of plan for this type of failure. Or am I deluded by believing that customer service means anything to corporations in this day and age? What happened to the golden age of hacking when you could chat with a friendly white hat and they would figure out how to create drivers? Anybody know where to find the (non-marketing) actual tech specs for the OS for this phone? I'd love to contact a couple old friends and give them the info to make this happen. Dang, I'm too old school I guess.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rich12321 View Post
    So, since the internal screen on my phone is broken and doesn't provide any display at all for me to be able to activate WAP, or in fact do anything at all with it, does that mean that I can't even retrieve my photos from it? I find it hard to believe that any phone manufacturer would allow a phone to be sold without some kind of plan for this type of failure. Or am I deluded by believing that customer service means anything to corporations in this day and age? What happened to the golden age of hacking when you could chat with a friendly white hat and they would figure out how to create drivers? Anybody know where to find the (non-marketing) actual tech specs for the OS for this phone? I'd love to contact a couple old friends and give them the info to make this happen. Dang, I'm too old school I guess.
    Basically, You're just stupid. If you did the tiniest amount of research on the internet, you'd discover LG has the LG PC Suite Software that can backup/restore data from all LG (non smartphone) phones, not to mention TMobile's Online album that can be accessed if you simply register for free with the TMobile's website. When you take a picture, if you choose the "Send to My Album" choice in the camera application, the photo will not only be saved on the phone, but sent via MMS to your online album. So let's recap. LG made software that backs up the entire phone, and TMobile maintains a website that can manage your photos, and what did you do, you bought a phone, and blindly went about your business until your phone broke, then you ran to the internet to ***** about how much the manufacturer sucks. You're not deluded, your just stupid. Even with your broke *** phone, if it a least powers on, you can still recover your data quite easily with LG's software. You don't need 'tech specs' to hand your friends, you just need the software, and a brain.

Feedback Score
    Actually you're stupid, and frankly rude.

ANSWER:
    I just spoke with LG technical support and it is not possible to transfer files over the USB cord.
    I know from personal experience that you can send them over bluetooth.

Feedback Score

Here is the link to use the GS170 via usb on a pc

Here is the link to the LG site where you can download drivers for usb and the software to use the phone on a windows xp or vista/7 machine.... you guys chill and have a good day!

I can't post links as i am new so read between the (lines) link

lg dot com/us/support-mobile/lg-GS170RD

Feedback Score
    thank you for this nice sharing