Thread: Can one use DUN to tether HD2?

Feedback Score

Can one use DUN to tether HD2?

So far, all the directions I have seen for tethering the HD2, both USB and BT, involve using the Internet Sharing app.

That certainly is far easier to set up than a DUN connection. However, once set up, I find DUN (which I used on other phones) simpler and quicker to connect. For instance, I would put a shortcut to that DUN connection in the Quick Launch bar of the laptop. If doing a BT connection, the phone could stay in the pocket, no need to do anything on it, and just one click on that icon on the Quick Launch bar on the laptop, and it would connect. (Whereas with ICS, one has to start the ICS app on the phone, etc.) (AFAIK. I'm new to ICS. Let me know if it can connect just through one click on the laptop.)

Anyhow though, not having seen DUN mentioned in any HD2 posts, I don't even know if it is possible on that phone. Anyone here used DUN on the HD2?

What number do you set the computer to call (*99***what#)? (I forget exactly how that works, and I think it differs by phone.)

Device(s)
    LG V20 and LG G Pad X 8.0
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile One Plan 6+1 lines
    Feedback Score
    I don't know how to make it done over USB (you can use async/WMDC or USB ethernet emu to make it done), but Broadcom bt can.

Optimum/Cablevision

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottish Skyedance View Post
    I don't know how to make it done over USB (you can use async/WMDC or USB ethernet emu to make it done), but Broadcom bt can.
    You mean if the computer has Broadcom BT installed? Could you give your directions for it?

I guess for USB one would need a driver, to have the phone recognized as a USB modem. Would the old HTC USB modem driver (for instance, used with the MDA) work with it?

Does it not work if the Microsoft BT stack is used on the laptop?

Device(s)
    LG V20 and LG G Pad X 8.0
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile One Plan 6+1 lines
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by maiki View Post
    You mean if the computer has Broadcom BT installed? Could you give your directions for it?

I guess for USB one would need a driver, to have the phone recognized as a USB modem. Would the old HTC USB modem driver (for instance, used with the MDA) work with it?

Does it not work if the Microsoft BT stack is used on the laptop?
    The phone has Broadcom bluetooth stack installed, so bt DUN is possible.
    1. you have to run internet sharing to specify APN you want to use
    2. use bluetooth modem for the phone
    3. dial *99#
    However, if you have activesync or WMDC installed on host computer, just connect the cable, then the phone will prompt the connection. Choose internet sharing. (same method when you use HD2 with Cradlepoint)

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    DUN is working fine via USB and Bluetooth on HD2
    I use it all the time.
    You may need to search the forum for 5 to 8 years old threads about how to make DUN work with Activesync on HTC WM phones ....
    Nowadays, people use DUN less, "internet sharing" makes the life easier. but if you need a separate real IP address, not a NAT IP, DUN really helps ...
    for USB , you need load HTC driver to be able to do it, easy and simple!.
    Bluetooth app has its BT dial-up network (such as BlueSoleil) feature built-in
    Last edited by CoolPhone; 08-19-2010 at 08:42 PM.
    T-Mobile - the largest fake 4G network in Americas

HTC HD2 Speed on 3G/HSDPA

T-mobile 3G/H or Pharos 137

My broadband speed

My WM phone is the best GPS now, say good bye junk Andriod

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottish Skyedance View Post
    The phone has Broadcom bluetooth stack installed, so bt DUN is possible.
    1. you have to run internet sharing to specify APN you want to use
    2. use bluetooth modem for the phone
    3. dial *99#
    However, if you have activesync or WMDC installed on host computer, just connect the cable, then the phone will prompt the connection. Choose internet sharing. (same method when you use HD2 with Cradlepoint)
    Thanks for the info, Scottish.

Why are the dial strings sometimes something like *99****4#? What do the additional stars and number stand for?

Device(s)
    HTC Dash 3G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolPhone View Post
    DUN is working fine via USB and Bluetooth on HD2]
    Don't think USB DUN works on anything newer than WM5. Microsoft says it doesn't.
    but if you need a separate real IP address, not a NAT IP, DUN really helps ...
    I set up Bluetooth DUN on my HD2 and used it a few times. I always get a NATted IP address (192.168.0.x), unlike before where my tethered PC was assigned 72.250.x.x. And I am using the internet3 APN.

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jsleung View Post
    Don't think USB DUN works on anything newer than WM5. Microsoft says it doesn't.
    I set up Bluetooth DUN on my HD2 and used it a few times. I always get a NATted IP address (192.168.0.x), unlike before where my tethered PC was assigned 72.250.x.x. And I am using the internet3 APN.
    Read carefully from Microsoft link, you need INF file (drivers) to be able to do DUN.
    you got NATed address , because of "internet share" gives your address, it is not "dialed", it is "shared".
    I got t-mobile address through DUN, you can try epc APN

Device(s)
    HTC Dash 3G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolPhone View Post
    Read carefully from Microsoft link, you need INF file (drivers) to be able to do DUN.
    you got NATed address , because of "internet share" gives your address, it is not "dialed", it is "shared".
    I got t-mobile address through DUN, you can try epc APN
    Bluetooth DUN does not need INF files. I was not using BT PAN, if that's what you mean. I set up a modem and entered #99# for the number, and still got a private IP address.

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    As I said, BT app (such as BlueSoleil) has built-in DUN service, no additional driver needed. only USB DUN connection you need INF drivers ,
    I got my t-mobile iP address from DUN that is the only purpose to use DUN over "internet share"
    I am running on my customized cooked ROM, it is supposed no different for the tmo stock rom at DUN point.

Last edited by CoolPhone; 08-27-2010 at 02:46 PM.