View Poll Results: Have you ever gone over 5GB data in a month or had your 3G speed throttled (reduced)?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • I never reached 5GB in a month or don't know if I did, and never been throttled

18 58.06%
  • I know I went over 5GB and was never throttled for doing so

5 16.13%
  • I went over 5GB and was always throttled each month I did so

1 3.23%
  • I went over 5GB and was throttled recently; but know I used to go over 5GB without throttling

1 3.23%
  • I know I went over 10GB and was never throttled for doing so

2 6.45%
  • I went over 10GB and was always throttled each month I did so

1 3.23%
  • I went over 10GB and was throttled recently; but know I used to go over 10GB without throttling

2 6.45%
  • I have been throttled, but do not know what usage level triggered it

2 6.45%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Data Plan: Have you gone over 5GB or had your 3G speed throttled?

Feedback Score

Data Plan: Have you gone over 5GB or had your 3G speed throttled?

Have you ever gone over 5GB in a month on your data plan without throttling or have you had your 3G speed throttled (reduced due to high usage)?

Please post details of your experience if you have ever exceeded 5GB usage in a month (throttled or not), or if you have been throttled:

-What data plan you are on (and whether it is a phone or USB modem plan)
    -When throttling behavior changed for you if you believe T-Mobile's practices have changed over the months
    -Date your voice and data plans were started (to allow comparison to the dates of TMobile's 2004, 2008, and 2010 terms of service)

(The poll allows multiple choice in case some users have had months where they went over 5GB and did not reach 10GB, and had other months where they went over 10GB.)

Phone
    LG G3, Sony Xperia Z Ultra
    Carrier
    T-Mobile Simple Plan 4 lines (unlimited on one and 2.5GB sharing on another) $130 | 4.5GB MBB
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (HTC Nexus One: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Nexus One Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

I never go over the limit (15GB combined), but my friend on my family plan does.

Optimum/Cablevision

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottish Skyedance View Post
    Wirelessly posted (HTC Nexus One: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Nexus One Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)
    I never go over the limit (15GB combined), but my friend on my family plan does.
    I see you indicated always throttled over 10GB. You might mark a second vote among the 5GB choices to reflect what happens when that friend goes over 5GB but not yet at 10GB. Also, what data plan are they on?

Phone
    Android
    Carriers
    -T--Mobile USA|Get More
    Feedback Score
    Since Nexus One allows tethering, I have gone a bit over 5 (5.3GB). I use the 3G watch dog to monitor in real time usage. Speed has remained consistant the one month I went over.

Plan: $5.99 T-Zones, EPC APN,
    Phone: Nexus One

Phone
    galaxy note 3
    Carrier
    t-mobile
    Feedback Score
    I have the No Overage data plan of $39.99 with the webConnect Rocket stick (use with my Mac Mini & Apple TV) and when I reach 5GB exactly. It slows down to 40 Kbps from my usual 5.0 to 3.5 Mbps range.

I'm glad I got my iPad 3G when the unlimited data plan of $29.99 was still available. I go over 10GB a month easily and when really necessary, I pop the micro sim in my At&t Lightning USB to have a quicker connection on my Mac when I'm over the 5GB limit on T-Mo.

Feedback Score
    One of the things I am hoping to learn from this thread, is under what plans or conditions of signup dates (relative to the changes in TMobile TOS) are some people allowed to go over 5GB without throttling, and whether that it to 10GB or to unlimited. Or is it that noone can go over 5GB and escape the throttling anymore?

Phone
    LG G3, Sony Xperia Z Ultra
    Carrier
    T-Mobile Simple Plan 4 lines (unlimited on one and 2.5GB sharing on another) $130 | 4.5GB MBB
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by tmotk
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottish Skyedance View Post
    I see you indicated always throttled over 10GB. You might mark a second vote among the 5GB choices to reflect what happens when that friend goes over 5GB but not yet at 10GB. Also, what data plan are they on?
    He goes over 10GB and gets 100kbps till the next cycle.
    I know I have very high usage so I have 2 internet accounts.

Phone
    iPhone 6 128GB Space Gray
    Carrier
    AT&T 4G LTE
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Never been throttled on my personal account. I thank Pandora Radio, Slacker, Google Maps and my favorite weather widget for pushing me over this threshold month after month.

I have users on my business account who have exceeded their 200 MB plan and yes they've been throttled to some insane dial up speeds. A quick call to upgrade their plan to the unlimited no overages plan usually fixes this problem really fast.

Whether or not we admit it, the more sophisticated our apps become and the faster our wireless broadband is we're going to hit these caps much faster.

Feedback Score
    It looks like it is not at all clear how T-Mobile decides to throttle us at 5GB, 10GB, or not at all. I wish a T-Mobile insider would come in and explain how the choice of data plan, and the signup dates effect this. (And it would be a perfectly reasonable answer if they say they decide whether to throttle the heavy users based on total load at the local tower. Maybe that could explain the varied results seen here.) A local T-Mobile store said they do NOT throttle the phone plans at 5GB and could not comment on 10GB, but the USB modems are definitely throttled at 5GB.

And it looks like it is not clear at all what speed the throttle speed is (40kbps, 100kpbs, EDGE)?

Phone
    ATT Tundra PTT
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I'm signed up for the $39.99 "PC Total Internet" plan. According to TMobile I'm @"23977 Megabytes" with 2 days left on my cycle and I just did this speed test with a N900. I really think it's a combination of factors that contribute to people getting throttled. Uploading massive amounts of data and running servers are some of the activities that IMHO will get you noticed and throttled. Those and posting on Howard's

AT&T 450 Rollover w/ Dumb-phone Data
    Nokia 610 / Option Icon 452 / Toshiba Thrive

Feedback Score
    Wow, that's 24gb. When did you sign up for the pla, japesx? Was it before 2008?

Phone
    ATT Tundra PTT
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    March 2010. At the time it was the "T-Mobile Internet" plan I added to an existing account as an add-on-line, but sometime after I closed the parent account, it became "PC Total Internet". So in all honesty I can't say I signed up for it, but was more or less pushed into it. Not that I'm complaining, the service has been spot on fantastic. The only complaint I've got is TMO won't let me use my Option Icon 452. They just keep sending me to the WebConnect page, though it did work for about 4 hours before that.

Quote Originally Posted by csnut18 View Post
    Wow, that's 24gb. When did you sign up for the plan, japesx? Was it before 2008?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by japesx View Post
    March 2010. At the time it was the "T-Mobile Internet" plan I added to an existing account as an add-on-line, but sometime after I closed the parent account, it became "PC Total Internet". So in all honesty I can't say I signed up for it, but was more or less pushed into it. Not that I'm complaining, the service has been spot on fantastic. The only complaint I've got is TMO won't let me use my Option Icon 452. They just keep sending me to the WebConnect page, though it did work for about 4 hours before that.
    Wow, thanks for sharing. Can anyone else who has gotten away with alot of data, chime in? I was under the impression that the system automatically sends out a text once you hit 5gb and throttles you.

Feedback Score
    T-mobile does provide fantastic service. As someone who currently has 4 lines with Sprint but who also has alot of experience using T-mobile, i can say that T-mobiles service is much better. I am not knocking Sprint because even though they do have worse reception even in areas they cover, they cant be beat for the price and the corporate discounts they hand out.

I would like to switch over to T-mobile but this data throttling thing is preventing it. Thats why I am always on the hunt for answers to the question. Some guy in another thread said that his T-mobile account now shows unlimited data when it used to say 10gb, so who knows.

Phone
    HTC ONE
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    @csnut18 - what market are you in where Sprint has worse reception? Around here Sprint tends to have extremely good reception. T-Mobile is passable, and sometimes excellent, but Sprint is one where you pretty much never drop 3G (albeit it's slower than HSPA).

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast