Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tethering Dash 3g; screen stays on; deadens battery; what to do?

Feedback Score

Tethering Dash 3g; screen stays on; deadens battery; what to do?

I am tethering with a Dash 3g and WmWifiRouter in order to connect to 3g via wifi. I find the app keeps my screen on. How can I change this to save battery?

This is a real problem if I want to leave WmWifiRouter on for sporadic Internet access.

Thanks

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    press the power button one time, it would turn off your screen to save battery life
    T-Mobile - the largest fake 4G network in Americas

HTC HD2 Speed on 3G/HSDPA

T-mobile 3G/H or Pharos 137

My broadband speed

My WM phone is the best GPS now, say good bye junk Andriod

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolPhone View Post
    press the power button one time, it would turn off your screen to save battery life
    Pressing the power button does nothing whether or not WmWifRouter is running. Even when WmWifiRouter is not running, the power button does not dim the screen unless I hold it to actually turn off the phone. Any other ideas? Is this solution for a different version of WinMo than I have? How do I check whether I have WM 6.1 or 6.5?

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.2.13918/19.916; U; en) Presto/2.5.25)

you may need some practice for turning off screen. you cannot hold power button ,it would turn off the device , just brief press the power button .
    you should be able to read system version from system settings

Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.2.13918/19.916; U; en) Presto/2.5.25)

you may need some practice for turning off screen. you cannot hold power button ,it would turn off the device , just brief press the power button .
    you should be able to read system version from system settings
    I checked, I have WM 6.5. About the power button I am interpreting that to mean the same button that hangs up phone calls. A brief or medium duration press does nothing and a hold shuts down with a confirmation prompt. I really would like to resolve this. Would switching to the HTC wifirouter program help (I don't know if it even works on Dash), or some other tethering method? I wrote to support for wmwifirouter and they must not want my $20 very bad (I am on the 21 day trial); they are ignoring me.

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    I am using HTC wifirouter , it works fine when screen is off.
    you may try it

Feedback Score
    I am using HTC wifirouter , it works fine when screen is off.
    you may try it
    Which version of the HTC wifirouter are you using - where did you get it? I want to get the same .CAB you are using. Also, had you tried wmwifrouter and did you have the same problem with not being able to run it with the screen off?

Feedback Score
    CoolPhone, I tried to send you a private message, but I get the error "CoolPhone has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space."

I was wondering if you could take a look at my post immediately above.

Thanks

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Sorry, I was on business travel out of town.
    Actually, I am using HTC wifirouter which was pulled off from other HTC devices, I cooked into my customized ROM, it responses screen off button.
    Last edited by CoolPhone; 08-25-2010 at 06:31 PM.

Feedback Score
    Sorry, I was on business travel out of town.
    Actually, I am using HTC wifirouter which was pulled off from other HTC devices, I cooked into my customized ROM, it responses screen off button.
    Are you able to share your customized ROM? (How does one load a ROM or revert to the stock Windows Mobile 6.5 ROM I have?). I tried a CAB for HTC wifirouter and when I ran it after the install, it freezes up saying "there is no available Internet connection, do you want to setup the Internet connection" There are Yes and No buttons, but I cannot choose them. Ideally, I would like to know of a HTC wifi router CAB that actually works on the Dash 3g without replacing the entire ROM.

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    I can share the HTC wifirouter OEM pack (to cook rom), but not for installation.

Feedback Score
    I can share the HTC wifirouter OEM pack (to cook rom), but not for installation.
    Please do, and how do I cook it into a ROM?

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    get into xda-developers to see 3G dash cooking menus ...
    Last edited by CoolPhone; 08-29-2010 at 05:47 PM.

Feedback Score
    get into xda-developers to see 3G dash cooking menus ...
    And where do I get the HTC wifirouter OEM pack?

Feedback Score
    @ tmotk, T-Mo Dash 3g runs Microsoft Windows Mobile 6.x Standard, aka SmartPhone edition. HTC WiFi Router will not work on this platform as it was written for Microsoft Windows Mobile PPC Edition.

As far as using WMWiFi Router, Version 1.35 will turn the display off. Also I thought I read on the WMWiFi Router web site that the latest versions do give you that option in program settings. Read the (Change Log) and (FAQ) @ web site.

Another app that worked well on the Dash 3g, (does what you want) was "Walking HotSpot"

Remember you need to use apps built for the Windows Mobile Standard platform (Non Touch Screen). Some apps may work cross platform, most do not

Take Care

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast