Thread: Magellan Maestro 4040, how do you open it?

Feedback Score

Magellan Maestro 4040, how do you open it?

I know its not a cell phone but this is the closest active site I know of where I might get an answer. But I have the above GPS and trying to figure out how to open it to change the battery. Like all of these small electronics these days, taking out the screws is not enough. What else do I have to do to get this thing open??

Phones
    Motorola RAZR V3(Grey) , Motorola RAZR V3(Blue), Moto Cliq, Nokia 6030,Motorola C139,Motorola i305
    Palm Treo 600 Motorola M800 Bag Phone Nokia 3390b, SonyEricsson Z300a
    Kyocera 6035/Globalstar Qualcomm GSP-1600
    Carriers
    T-Mobile(Post),ATT, T-Mobile(Post)-internet device, Boost
    PagePlus/Globalstar-PagePlus
    Feedback Score

Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    You need a tiny philips screwdriver. I think #0 will fit.

Pull out the little rubber inserts in the screw holes, there's four of them.
    Unscrew the four screws and pry from the sd card slot to the other side of the unit.

Feedback Score
    Thanks but that first link was just a PDF of the user manual. Magellan doesnt support manually changing the battery so its not even going to be in there. They want you to mail it to them and charge you liek 50 bucks to replace. Also if it was as easy as taking out the screws, I wouldnt have needed post :-).

I finally did get it apart but broke some of the internal clips which hold it together. I changed the battery and put back together and all is good....except...for some reason now, it ALWAYS thinks the battery is charging, even when unplugged. Also when it would detect the power being cut off (like turning off the engine), it would go into a sleep mode. It no longer doest that and just stays on, probably because it thinks its charging. Im clueless as what to do now!

Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Probably a bad board or unsupported battery. What brand and part number is it?

I got some cheapo battery off of ebay for like $8 and it works great.

Feedback Score
    hmm, wish i knew. Dont want to go back into the thing to find out, was hard enough getting it apart the first time. It was a chepo battery also for only a few buck which said it worked for my model. plugged right in and looks just like the original battery except for the labeling