Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Phone
    iPhone 4
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score

Streaming radio, how much data does it use?

For those who stream radio (Internet, Sirius etc.) How many hours a day do you listen and how much data does it use up? According to AT&T's data calculator a 1 minute stream is 500KB is this accurate?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by greeniguana_01 View Post
    For those who stream radio (Internet, Sirius etc.) How many hours a day do you listen and how much data does it use up? According to AT&T's data calculator a 1 minute stream is 500KB is this accurate?
    haha, their calculator is a joke. Audio streaming pulls so little data (~2kbps at best) that u should not even worry about it. You could stream 24/7 for 30 days straight and not even hit 2 gig's...

Video streaming on the other hand pulls LOTS of data... I just watched a movie on netflix during work and it was about an hour and a half and it sucked up 358MB worth of data..

Phone
    iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    Fido, RedPocket, Kolbi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JigSaw View Post
    Audio streaming pulls so little data (~2kbps at best) that u should not even worry about it. You could stream 24/7 for 30 days straight and not even hit 2 gig's...
    This is all incorrect. 2kbps wont give you any type of audible streaming audio.

The amount of data used will depend on the quality of the stream, which can range from 24kbps to 192kbps. The average high quality stream will be 128kbps.

At 128kbps, you will use 60MB per hour.

Streaming 24/7 for 30 days on an average high quality station will actually use 43,200MB, or 42 gigs, of data.

At the lowest quality audio (24kbps) you would use about 10 megabytes per hour. Or 7 gigs if you were to stream 24/7 for 30 days straight.
    Current arsenal: iPhone 5S 16GB / 13" Retina Macbook Pro 2.5ghz 8GB ram / iPad 2 WIFI 16GB / Apple TV 2 / Slingbox Solo / Acer Aspire Z5610 touchscreen all-in-one / Acer Aspire netbook

Fallen soldiers: iPhone 5 16GB / iPhone 4S 16GB / iPhone 4 16GB / iPhone 3G 8GB / BlackBerry Pearl 8100 / Motorola L6 SLVR / Nokia 5190, 3390, 8390, 3220 / Ericsson T18z / Mitsubishi G310 / Motorola C333 / Sony Ericsson T237

Phone
    iPhone 4
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by darkside flow View Post
    This is all incorrect. 2kbps wont give you any type of audible streaming audio.

The amount of data used will depend on the quality of the stream, which can range from 24kbps to 192kbps. The average high quality stream will be 128kbps.

At 128kbps, you will use 60MB per hour.

Streaming 24/7 for 30 days on an average high quality station will actually use 43,200MB, or 42 gigs, of data.

At the lowest quality audio (24kbps) you would use about 10 megabytes per hour. Or 7 gigs if you were to stream 24/7 for 30 days straight.
    Thanks! That sounds accurate. Does stream a video (you tube) pretty much use the same amount of data?

Phone
    HTC Desire
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    darkside flow got it right. It's the whole reason I got the 6 gig data plan. I go through about 1.5 gigs a month listening to streaming radio.
    If you want a comprimise between decent sound and lower data usage, try and find streams being broadcast using AAC+. They are usually at about 32 kbps or 64 kbps and the ones at 64 sound almost as good as the mp3 streams at 128 kbps

Phone
    iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    Fido, RedPocket, Kolbi
    Feedback Score
    Thanks! That sounds accurate. Does stream a video (you tube) pretty much use the same amount of data?
    I think YouTube streaming on 3G will use similar data amounts. I don't use YouTube very much.

Phone
    iPhone 4
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Spec108 View Post
    darkside flow got it right. It's the whole reason I got the 6 gig data plan. I go through about 1.5 gigs a month listening to streaming radio.
    If you want a comprimise between decent sound and lower data usage, try and find streams being broadcast using AAC+. They are usually at about 32 kbps or 64 kbps and the ones at 64 sound almost as good as the mp3 streams at 128 kbps
    How many hours a day do you generally listen and what
    app do you use?

Feedback Score
    Does streaming a video (you tube) pretty much use the same amount of data?
    as what...?? audio..?? Did i not already say that video pulls MORE data than audio..??

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by darkside flow View Post
    2kbps wont give you any type of audible streaming audio.
    yea ok....

Feedback Score
    40k AAC, 5 minutes of streaming used up 1.46 MB

Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    yea ok....
    Have you ever heard a song encoded at 2kbps?

Phone
    Galaxy Note 3
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    I've been using the Digitally Imported app, and their free medium bandwidth 64k setting uses about 10mb per half hour.

Phone
    iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    Fido, RedPocket, Kolbi
    Feedback Score
    yea ok....
    Find me a 2kbps stream.

Phone
    HTC Desire
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    How many hours a day do you generally listen and what
    app do you use?
    Probably around 3-4 hours a day. Pocket Tunes is probably my favorite app. Once you select a station there is a drop down to select the bitrate and it plays AAC+. And it also lets you record. The only downside is it doesn't have a sleep timer.

Phone
    iPhone 3G
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    yea ok....
    Its ok, you can admit you made a mistake and move on. Hell you didn't have to say anything and no one would have cared a whole lot, but.......

lol

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast