Thread: Opera Mini and LG420

Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Opera Mini and LG420

Has anyone been able to download Opera Mini and use it on the LG420 Tracfone ?

Phones
    Samsung T201G
    Motorola W376
    BlackBerry 8703e
    Carriers
    AT&T (Tracfone / Net10)
    Feedback Score
    Tracfone blocks sites that they themselves do not authorize you to view on their equipment. Trac's net service is not access to the whole internet like most providers provide but only access to a few links that they provide. Unfortunately, Opera Mini cannot be loaded on a Tracfone or Net10 phone to circumvent this limitation. If you want full internet (and at a more reasonable price), try PlatinumTel or Boost CDMA. Note that even on PTel or Boost CDMA, the phone has to have full HTML capability in order to use Opera Mini.

Carriers
    Net10
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mharris127 View Post
    Tracfone blocks sites that they themselves do not authorize you to view on their equipment. Trac's net service is not access to the whole internet like most providers provide but only access to a few links that they provide. Unfortunately, Opera Mini cannot be loaded on a Tracfone or Net10 phone to circumvent this limitation. If you want full internet (and at a more reasonable price), try PlatinumTel or Boost CDMA. Note that even on PTel or Boost CDMA, the phone has to have full HTML capability in order to use Opera Mini.
    Opera mini can be loaded on Motorola em326g. It is fully functional, but really slow.

Phone
    Moto W260G, LG420G, LG500G, LG600G, LG900G, Optimus V
    Carrier
    Tracfone Virgin
    Feedback Score

Opera Mini up and running on my LG420

Actually, you can install Opera on the LG420 and have it work. 3 versions of Opera Mini are on mine right now.

3 versions of Opera Mini

(left) Opera Mini 4.2 on LG420 and Opera 3.1 on LG600 (right) Not the best pics but....

Shot of my LG420 screen, visiting Turk forums...

It's my first time using Opera anything, and I really like it, and I'm sure you will too. Simple, fast, and provides browsing basics.

Some extras regarding the 420 and Opera Mini. The LG420 does not support JSR-75 and so there are a few things you can't do with the browser such as save the actual web page. Animated .GIFs (which I needed) are stripped of their animation and I see the file was converted to .PNG. Web pages are sent to a trans-coding server to reduce file sizes thus reducing bandwidth, and then sent to the phone.

K-L-M

Phones
    Samsung T201G
    Motorola W376
    BlackBerry 8703e
    Carriers
    AT&T (Tracfone / Net10)
    Feedback Score
    KLM, do you have any idea when Tracfone rescinded their links only policy? Also, what phones will Opera Mini work on using Tracfone or Net10 service? I see the LG 420 and 600 in your post and the Moto e326g in the other post here. I have an ancient Moto C261 and a new Samsung t201g that I use currently on Trac/Net10 (that have internet as an option). Any chance of getting Opera Mini going on that Samsung? I know that internet is expensive on it, but I have 3200 minutes to use up someday and that may be the best shot at doing it.

BTW, I am also a member at Turk Forums under the same nickname as here. Actually I started with Ian when he first started his internet blog and forum and then carried over to Turk's site when the code list moved.

EDIT: I just attempted to install Opera Mini on my Samsung t201g and kept getting a message "unsupported content". I even went back as far as Opera Mini 3.2 but the phone cannot support it. Oh well, at least now the phone is allowed to surf outside the "walled garden", this is the first I had heard of more than one or two mis-programmed Tracfones being able to do that. I may just have to take advantage of that feature and burn up some of those minutes on that phone (or maybe not, my BlackBerry is much easier to surf with).

Carrier
    TMo
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by K-L-M View Post
    Actually, you can install Opera on the LG420 and have it work. 3 versions of Opera Mini are on mine right now.
    Is airtime deducted per minute or depends on the amount of data transferred?

Carrier
    NET10/TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mharris127 View Post
    Oh well, at least now the phone is allowed to surf outside the "walled garden", this is the first I had heard of more than one or two mis-programmed Tracfones being able to do that.
    Can you recommend some sites accessible with the T201g? All I've done is waste a few minutes getting a weather report.

Phone
    Carrier
    Tracfone Virgin
    Feedback Score
    @mharris127

Rescinded- I'm like the roadrunner who runs off the cliff....'What's gravity?'. If the roadrunner does not know about gravity (policy), he must be OK then.(Wile E. Cyote sly smile)

Will opera mini work on Net10/Tracfone - Beep-Beep! My 420 is with Tracfone and it works. I have about 52 minutes logged between the 3 opera mini versions shown while doing some major research on the 420. So far so good.

On your two TF/Net10 phones possibly running opera, that's a good question.

On the 'ancient c261, probably not. Too-locked down would be my guess.

On the 201 I dunno, but...If it can do file transfers, specifically J2ME files, so you can send opera to it to be installed, and have the phones accept it, that is one hurdle. You can start with Opera mini 3.1 basic and work your way up the versions like I did. Opera Mini was designed to work on most 'dumb phones' so I understand.

This link below will get you started. It has links to downloads, help, and more .I would not bother checking the compatibility list as the 420 was not on it. You just have to be a pioneer on these things...

http://www.opera.com/mobile/help/

Now, weather the 201 it will be locked out of going any where but the Tracfone web portal site is another thing...The LG600G was that way, at one time, but something changed at some point in time, and no web portal for my 600 using the 600g's browser.

Gosh, just gave something else away (600)...Well maybe it will be encouragement to others to learn about their phones and share with us. The manufactures sure wont tell us how our phones work!

You will know if it is restricted. TF will charge you a data unit, and then tell if it does not work, if that is the case. Being you have a whopping 3200 min., you can spare a unit or two (smile).

On Turks- That is where I will be placing most of my 420 discoveries, as it is hard for me to keep up with so many forums, though I am glad they are out there to help us get the word out.

KLM

Phone
    Carrier
    Tracfone Virgin
    Feedback Score
    It's a per 'data unit' thing (not bandwidth). Unit costs depend on which part of the Tracfone family you are in I think. for Tracfone itself its .5 units deducted per minute.

A Unit is what ever you are paying per minute on your prepaid.

Phone
    Carrier
    Tracfone Virgin
    Feedback Score
    In my earlier post on getting Opera mini installed on the LG420G (and others) that tend to restrict what java applications will work, there is a 'minor adjustment' you need to make to the .JAR file.

Open the .JAR with something like Winrar, and wade through the META-INF folder.

Extract the MANIFEST.MF file and edit it by adding these tow lines at the bottom:

Author: TracFone
    TracFone-price: 0.0

Save the file and put it back where you found it.

Upload the .JAD and .JAR to the 420 and select install on the .JAR file.

(Unrelated, some phones like the LG600 require you to install applications using the .JAD file instead.)

Now see if Opera Mini will install.

Sorry everyone for poor posting etiquette. I'm new to all this, and for some reason (probably me) this forum system is touchy, and bouncing things back to me and some times losing what I type.

Need to go, not feeling so well to boot.

KLM
    Last edited by K-L-M; 08-27-2010 at 05:49 PM.

Carrier
    TMo
    Feedback Score
    On Net10, it charges 1 unit/minute. Thanks.

Phone
    Carrier
    Tracfone Virgin
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberoam View Post
    On Net10, it charges 1 unit/minute. Thanks.
    Ah, that is why folks were interested more in Tracfone than Net10 when thinking about using the internet. With TF it is .5 units per minute.

I think folks won't use the net too much with Net10/TF, except for may be grabbing quick weather alerts etc.

Voice wise, if you make a lot of phone calls and talk along Net 10 is still the way to go at 10 cents a minute. I myself make very little calls and need the service time more than the air time, so, I use Tracfone.

Thanks for the post on data units for Net10.

KLM

Feedback Score
    thanx for the advice on how to install opera mini! I got a tracfone LG420G, installed opera mini 3 advanced and it is great! I'm a longtime opera fan anyway,
    Robbie

Carrier
    Ting, Republic Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I've used the "author: tracfone" method described in this post to get Opera Mini and the Gmail app installed on a Straight Talk LG420G, but no matter what I try, they don't get any kind of internet connection.

Anyone know a workaround to get this working?