Thread: Tethering iPod Touch to Equinox

Feedback Score

Tethering iPod Touch to Equinox

For those who have a jailbroken iPod Touch, you can tether it to the Equinox using an app from Cydia called iBluever.

It uses bluetooth to create a Dial Up Networking connection. I just put *99# for the phone number into the app and it did the rest.

You may need to mod your Equinox to turn on Bluetooth dial up networking. If you've followed the mods in the wiki, you're all set.

There's a trial version of the app you can use to test it to make sure you can get it up and running. The permanent version is $5.

Jailbreaking is available as long as you haven't upgraded to firmware 4.0.2 on the iPod touch yet. You just go to jailbreakme.com from the Safari browser and it does the rest.

I haven't tested it yet, but it should also work to tether with the TM-506.

Feedback Score
    Detailed instructions on how to tether with the iPod Touch:

On the TM717

1. Go to Data Accounts and select a data account you want to use. T-Mobile GPRS should work with all plans.
    2. Select Turn on in the Bluetooth menu.

On iPod Touch:
    3. Start ibluever.
    4. Slide the slider to On.
    5. Under Choose a device, select More devices… It will list all Bluetooth devices in range.
    6. Select the TM717
    7. Enter any numeric code for PIN code
    8. Dial number is *99#
    0. Select Done
    10. Select iBluever (upper left corner)
    11. Under Choose a Device select TM 717. It will say sending PIN to remote.

On TM717

12. Select Yes to Add to My Devices
    13. Enter the same PIN you entered on the iPodTouch
    14. It will say that the localhost is requesting access to use your phone as a modem. Say yes.
    15. It will say Connecting to Mobile Network.

On iPod Touch

16. A green check mark will appear next to the TM717. The ipod is connected to the web. Go to an application that uses the web.

If you want to make things easier the next time you connect, go into My Devices on the TM717 bluetooth menu, select localhost, slect options, then select, Allow Connection, and Always allow.

Then to connect in the future, all you have to do is turn Bluetooth on for TM717, run iBluever, select the TM717 and wait for the Green check mark.

Feedback Score
    What is other settings, such as "account", "password" and 'chat script'?

Feedback Score
    Those settings are with an older version from over a year ago. With the current version of iBluever version 2.0.59 my settings to connect with the Equinox are as follows:

Vendor: Generic
    Model: GPRS Compatible (GSM/3G)

That's it. I don't type anything else in for APN, Account Name, Password, CID or Dial Number.

It just connects.

Feedback Score
    So this last week there's been an update, seems, at least for my equinox, after re-pairing, is using PAN profile. If I click on device in iBluever settings, I can switch to the old DUN profile, whch allows the settings options detailed above.

Any thoughts on the differences or their ability to notice?

Last year I got 'duped' (I let it happen, I knew it was happening) and lost my old t-zones.
    Called back and asked for retentions and got on the phone first plan.

Any thoughts on any of this?
    I haven't noticed anything changing.
    PAN seems faster though, but could be my imagination.

Waiting for iPhone on t-mo release, may or may not bite.
    Frankly, I think battery life is better when I have the GSM on a different device than my processing!
    But carrying two is a pain in the ***, I admit.

good to see you still around, Jet!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by naxalite View Post
    Any thoughts on any of this?
    I haven't noticed anything changing.
    PAN seems faster though, but could be my imagination.
    I don't know that the iPod Touch can use the PAN profile. If you have a pc with bluetooth, you can tether either by PAN or by dial-up. I've never noticed which is faster. I think I would use PAN on a laptop just because it's a little easier to connect.

And as a warning, it doesn't appear that ibluever is compatible with iOS 6, so don't upgrade to it yet if you still want to tether the iPod.

Feedback Score
    Oh. Its very compatible. Was the day Evasion JB came out. BUT...there were some issues. Mainly the connecting alerts/banners. Some devices reported push issues.
    And the most recent updates add PAN.
    Only thing I've noticed is that on PAN setting, the advanced settings are not available, so no enabling data on status bar (like I care).

I had push issues FOREVER. But I think it's related to either T-Mo or my devices. Equinox died, back on my back up TM506.
    When push notifications stop working, disconnecting, restarting BT on the phone, or at worst rebooting device takes care of it.
    Twice I've re-paired devices.

Since last posting I got the warning push message.
    A joke, as my plan does not allow 'Smartphone Mobile Hotspot Tethering' (Phone First Data) nor can I add it when following the message link.
    I realize its an automated push triggered, most likely by my setting Dolphin to use 'Desktop' mode.

So now if I need to, I use UAFaker from Cydia, and entered the customized UserAgent string " " (blank).
    Seems to be working.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by naxalite View Post
    I realize its an automated push triggered, most likely by my setting Dolphin to use 'Desktop' mode.

So now if I need to, I use UAFaker from Cydia, and entered the customized UserAgent string " " (blank).
    Seems to be working.
    Yeah that's all T-mobile does is try to detect a desktop browser and then it blocks it. Even if you hook your TM-506 up to a pc, it will try to detect the pc browser. Then if you use the User Agent Switcher in Firefox it does the same thing the UAFaker does and it allows you to continue to tether your pc.

Glad to see it's still working out for you.