Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Feedback Score

iPhone 4 Question- how to turn off cell feature, but keep GPS and Wifi active.

I've searched online, but didn't come up with anything. Can anyone answer this question?

How can I turn off the cellular phone/data feature on the phone but keep WiFi and the GPS antenna active?

I know in Airplane mode, you can turn on the WiFi function, but that doesn't allow you to keep the GPS active.

The reason why I want this setup, is to avoid ANY roaming charges when I travel to the US. I travel quite often, and I have a US cell phone. It would be nice to use the IP4 for GPS and as my primary e-mail/browsing device when I hit a wifi hotspot.

Thanks in advance!

Phone
    iPhone 4
    Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Take out the sim, I think gps should still work
    Otherwise jailbreak and install sbsettings or bossprefs which allow you to turn off phone part

Feedback Score
    Do above or go to unlockit.co.nz on your phone and install a fake apn. This should prevent your phone from accessing cell data

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ruffdeezy View Post
    Take out the sim, I think gps should still work
    Otherwise jailbreak and install sbsettings or bossprefs which allow you to turn off phone part
    This. Just tried it out of curiosity. Didn't think GPS would work, but it still did even with WiFi turned off.

Feedback Score
    Can't one just switch "cellular data" (under Settings ---> General ---> Network) to off? I think that the gps still works even when cellular data is off. Perhaps I am wrong?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lowgman View Post
    The reason why I want this setup, is to avoid ANY roaming charges when I travel to the US. I travel quite often, and I have a US cell phone. It would be nice to use the IP4 for GPS and as my primary e-mail/browsing device when I hit a wifi hotspot.

Thanks in advance!
    As long as you keep the iPhone data roaming disabled (OFF), you don't have to worry about any data roaming charge while you're in US...

It is better to keep your Rogers SIM in your iPhone 4 while you're in US... It might help the iPhone AGPS to lock satellite signal by using your SIM card cellular positioning...

Instead of carrying 2 phones... why don't unlocked your iPhone 4 or sell your locked iPhone 4 and buy the unlocked version... While you're in US just put the US sim card in your iPhone 4 and use it...

Phone
    Galaxy SIII, iPhone 4s Black 64GB (wife's phone)
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    like me815 wrote, just make sure that "data roaming" is disabled and don't answer any calls... and you will be fine...
    I've done it a couple of time while I was in New York... I never had any roaming charge added to my bills...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by me815 View Post
    Instead of carrying 2 phones... why don't unlocked your iPhone 4 or sell your locked iPhone 4 and buy the unlocked version... While you're in US just put the US sim card in your iPhone 4 and use it...
    Are you aware of any prepaid plans in the US that offer data? Without that, the unlocked iPhone idea won't work.

Feedback Score
    Good question

Phone
    iPhone 5C/ iPhone 5
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    If you're using GPS with Google Maps, you need data turned on though (or have Wi-Fi access) - the maps are downloaded each time - they aren't stored in the device like with the Tom Tom (or other) apps.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tuscanybay View Post
    Are you aware of any prepaid plans in the US that offer data? Without that, the unlocked iPhone idea won't work.
    Technically, the iPhone uses A-GPS (Assissted GPS) to lock the satellite signal...

Many mobile phones combine A-GPS and other location services including Wi-Fi Positioning System and cell-site triangulation in a hybrid positioning system.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assisted_GPS

So if you don't have data (which help you lock satellite faster), iPhone can use the SIM card for cell-site triangulation to lock satellite (slower) ==> You might not need data to use the iPhone GPS...

Now, it depends on what GPS app you use... App like Google maps required data in order to download map... but others real GPS navigation software like Navigon, Tomtom... all the maps already downloaded ==> you don't need data to use these GPS apps...

Feedback Score
    Do programs like Yelp need data to work correctly?

Phones
    Unlocked Rogers Blackberry Q10 | LG Nexus-4 | Samsung Nexus-S
    Rogers SonyEricsson c510 (unlocked)
    Fido iPhone 3GS 32GB (unlocked)
    Carrier
    Fido | Rogers Prepaid | LycaMobile US | Bell | T-Mobile Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bkushner1 View Post
    Do programs like Yelp need data to work correctly?
    I took a quick look at Yelp's website and the answer is yes (or they need WiFi) since in the picture (http://www.yelp.com/yelpmobile), it appears to use GoogleMaps.
    Fido (monthly plan - personal/data): Novatel Wireless MC950D or Nokia CS-18

Fido (monthly): ZTE WF720 Wireless Home Phone

Rogers (pay as you go - Canadian prepaid): "Fido" Samsung Nexus-S

Rogers (monthly BIS data plan): Blackberry Q10 <- CANCELLED over Dispute

Lycamobile (US prepaid): Sony-Ericsson c510 or Sony-Ericsson w300i

T-Mobile (US prepaid): unlocked Fido iPhone 3GS 32GB or LG Nexus-4

Bell (tablet plan): LG Nexus-4

My Tech Blog

Phones
    Unlocked Rogers Blackberry Q10 | LG Nexus-4 | Samsung Nexus-S
    Rogers SonyEricsson c510 (unlocked)
    Fido iPhone 3GS 32GB (unlocked)
    Carrier
    Fido | Rogers Prepaid | LycaMobile US | Bell | T-Mobile Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lowgman View Post
    I know in Airplane mode, you can turn on the WiFi function, but that doesn't allow you to keep the GPS active.
    In this respect, is the iPhone4 different from the iPhone 3GS? With my iPhone 3GS, I can turn on Airplane mode, then turn on the WiFi function and my GPS still works for my standalone GPS (TomTom) or for the data dependent GPS (Flixster Movies, GoogleMaps, etc.).

Phones
    Sharp SH-09D
    Sharp SH-09D
    BB Z10
    Carrier
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tuscanybay View Post
    when i went to san fran for two weeks, i went with t-mobile for my phone, and i could browse, and call anywhere in the states.. i paid $50 bucks and that including simcard and lots of mins, cant remember but it was enough to last me two weeks, and made a lot of calls...

but at the time i had a regular phone not a iphone.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast