Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Does any one know what American Roaming is?

Phones
    Incredible 2
    HTC Incredible 2
    Carriers
    Page Plus
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score

Does any one know what American Roaming is?

Could anyone tell me anything about American Roaming? I am not sure where I should go to ask this question maybe this will be OK Thank you so much.

Carrier
    pageplus
    Feedback Score
    its were calls made on unactivated phones or phones that aren't allowed to roam on the particular cell tower's carrier get forwarded too. you can still pay to make the call go threw even with unactivated phones, i think its collect calling, or you can buy an ARN card. this is mainly used by analog networks, such as the "ghost towers" of southern california that are still running in the desert cause no one bothered to turn them off, good reason too cause there the only towers there. analog is better than nothing and get better distance that most other technologies but arn't good for saving spectrum, guess that aint an issue in the dessert.

Phone
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    Verizon formerly AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I've seen ARN on Verizon, Alltel, Sprint, US Cellular, as well as quite a few of the regional CDMA providers. On GSM your just not allowed access to the network. You can buy a prepaid PIN with rates between $0.20 and $0.99 and collect is between $2.00 and $3.00 per minute. When I was with T-Mobile I use to keep an old CDMA phone for emergency purposes knowing I could use ARN if I had to.

Carrier
    pageplus
    Feedback Score
    thats odd, ive only gotten arn prompt on analog mode, last one was on 9/12/2010 on analog sid 1069, altho i only tried on verizon and sprint networks. vzw and sprint usually forward the call to an error recording about ur call not going threw. thats just my experience

Phone
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    Verizon formerly AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by butt_head View Post
    thats odd, ive only gotten arn prompt on analog mode, last one was on 9/12/2010 on analog sid 1069, altho i only tried on verizon and sprint networks. vzw and sprint usually forward the call to an error recording about ur call not going threw. thats just my experience
    I just upgraded to my BB Tour from a Samsung Intensity and after doing a reset the Samsung now gets a message telling me to hold then I am transferred to ARN. You also get ARN on MetroPCS and Cricket automatically because VZW has no agreement for roaming with them.

Phones
    Motorola RAZR V3(Grey) , Motorola RAZR V3(Blue), Moto Cliq, Nokia 6030,Motorola C139,Motorola i305
    Palm Treo 600 Motorola M800 Bag Phone Nokia 3390b, SonyEricsson Z300a
    Kyocera 6035/Globalstar Qualcomm GSP-1600
    Carriers
    T-Mobile(Post),ATT, T-Mobile(Post)-internet device, Boost
    PagePlus/Globalstar-PagePlus
    Feedback Score

Phones
    FeiTeng H9503,Motorola V3M(RingPlus), AT&T MiFi Liberate,
    Kindle 3G,Isatphone,V11 Dual Sim Flip,SVP MQ999
    Carrier
    AT&T,Telna,Sprint,ekit,Inmarsat,Skype
    Feedback Score
    Think the simpler and less expensive solution is just to have a prepaid phone on a low cost, infrequent renewal basis rather than hope ARN services will work when needed. Plus you are able to receive incoming calls if you have an active handset...think ARN only allows outgoing calls.

For calls placed in the USA, I use 2 MVNO prepaid chips (AT&T/Jolt and T-Mobile/Tuyo) in an unlocked dual sim handset. I just put $10 last month into the Tuyo/T-Mobile chip, the refill has a 6 month expiration date, and calls are only a dime a minute. It's a little pricier but better coverage with the Jolt/AT&T chip. Many other prepaid providers out there with wide coverage areas.

Phone
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    Verizon formerly AT&T
    Feedback Score
    For a strictly emergency only type of service for a GSM user that may find themselves stuck in a CDMA only area maybe, but otherwise they have outlived their use. I wonder how many people actually accept the $2.00 per minute collect call charge?

Phones
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by baayers View Post
    For a strictly emergency only type of service for a GSM user that may find themselves stuck in a CDMA only area maybe, but otherwise they have outlived their use. I wonder how many people actually accept the $2.00 per minute collect call charge?
    Agree, ARN's use is somewhat limited these days.

Most GSM users probably wouldn't be also be carrying around a CDMA handset unless it was activated (my father is a case in point with an AT&T/Jolt and a Verizon/PagePlus handset) or they had an unlocked dual standard handset with both sides activated (e.g. Samsung Renown or Pantech Escapade or some Blackberries).

On the $2+/minute for ARN collect calling, my Iridium satphone can call to or from anywhere on the planet for less than that...

Phone
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    Verizon formerly AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I almost forgot the $3.00 per minute wireless collect option. Lol what a total joke

Carrier
    pageplus
    Feedback Score
    i personally keep an old AMPS motorola micrtotac when ever i go into rural areas, even in 2010, this amps phone finds service in remote areas where other cdma/gsm handsets cant.

Phones
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    There are also some hybrid CDMA/Analog phones. Tends to be the older flip or candy bar phones such as the Samsung sch u340 or the LG VX5200. PagePlus and others still activate them. That way you get 850/1900 Mhz for CDMA and 850 Mhz for Analog on a registered handset and pay the lowest rates if it kicks into Analog.

I used to have a AT&T National Prepaid Wireless (later rebranded Free2Go) TDMA/Analog AT&T/Ericsson LX700 handset...when it was in analog roaming mode, it would eat the battery pack quickly and get very warm.

Think there were also a few GSM/Analog hybrid phones made, but don't think they make those any more.

Other solution is a bi-directional amplifier and an antenna to boost a weak signal or one of those pico-cells that hooks up a home or office internet connection.

Phone
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    Verizon formerly AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GadgetKen View Post
    There are also some hybrid CDMA/Analog phones. Tends to be the older flip or candy bar phones such as the Samsung sch u340 or the LG VX5200. PagePlus and others still activate them. That way you get 850/1900 Mhz for CDMA and 850 Mhz for Analog on a registered handset and pay the lowest rates if it kicks into Analog.

I used to have a AT&T National Prepaid Wireless (later rebranded Free2Go) TDMA/Analog AT&T/Ericsson LX700 handset...when it was in analog roaming mode, it would eat the battery pack quickly and get very warm.

Think there were also a few GSM/Analog hybrid phones made, but don't think they make those any more.

Other solution is a bi-directional amplifier and an antenna to boost a weak signal or one of those pico-cells that hooks up a home or office internet connection.
    I remember with the Nokia 5100 GSM phones there was an adapter that you connected to the phone for analog roaming but I dont remember anything newer than that. On the CDMA side you can still find Moto W315s for next to nothing that have analog GPS and an extendable antennas. They aren't good for more than making calls and texting but their analog reception if you really need it is great.

I know along the CA AZ border as well as at Yellow Stone you will find some specs of analog but from my remember it is dead in the rest of the state. The only area I am not sure of is in the northern part of the state where US Cellular has service.

The only areas left that make a big difference with whether you have analog or not is Alaska which actually still has a few analog only networks, Arizona where Cellular ONE has analog only sites in some of the areas around the Indian reservations, and New Mexico where in the northeastern part of the state you can still use Platough Wireless for analog calling as they left their entire analog network active. This gives tri band phones the upper hand when away from Verizon as Platough in some areas is the only signal game in town.

Phones
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by baayers View Post
    I remember with the Nokia 5100 GSM phones there was an adapter that you connected to the phone for analog roaming but I dont remember anything newer than that. On the CDMA side you can still find Moto W315s for next to nothing that have analog GPS and an extendable antennas. They aren't good for more than making calls and texting but their analog reception if you really need it is great.

I know along the CA AZ border as well as at Yellow Stone you will find some specs of analog but from my remember it is dead in the rest of the state. The only area I am not sure of is in the northern part of the state where US Cellular has service.

The only areas left that make a big difference with whether you have analog or not is Alaska which actually still has a few analog only networks, Arizona where Cellular ONE has analog only sites in some of the areas around the Indian reservations, and New Mexico where in the northeastern part of the state you can still use Platough Wireless for analog calling as they left their entire analog network active. This gives tri band phones the upper hand when away from Verizon as Platough in some areas is the only signal game in town.
    In addition to the Nokia 5190 with the plug in analog module, there was the Ericsson CF888 as early GSM/Analog hybrids.

Then they came out with GAIT compliant GSM/TDMA/Analog phones including the Nokia 6340 and the Siemens S46. Around 2002/2003 these were probably the last of the GSM/Analog hybrids.

But not sure if these would actually roam without ARN on some of the towers with analog still active. Probably a CDMA/Analog hybrid (many models still being sold; particularly as PagePlus refurbs) would get better results.

Carrier
    pageplus
    Feedback Score
    we should make a sticky of all active analog places, sid 1069 is what i last used in wellington/brideport ca. idaho/east oregon/ wyoming, montanna had a very active analog network in mid 2009, some of it was powered by inland celluar, wich acording to them "will not deactivate amps networks as long as there is no digital, but urges customers to get trimode handsets"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast