Thread: Straight Talk GSM VS CDMA Coverage

Phones
    Droid MAXX
    Droid MAXX
    Carrier
    Big Red
    Feedback Score

Straight Talk GSM VS CDMA Coverage

Anyone have the old CDMA map from the Straight Talk website?

I noticed it's been replaced with the GSM (assuming they are moving all new subs to GSM) mainly the South Dakota coverage is GSM now.

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Looks like the same coverage map they have had before they added GSM. Why? because it shows service where I did not get it with CDMA. I know because I always lost service in the same area that showed I shouldnt.

From what I have gathered, they have the verizon prepaid map with roaming on there. It has been and still is incorrect.

Carrier
    Walmart/TracFone-Straight Talk on AT&T
    Feedback Score
    As far as *I* can tell, CDMA coverage is provided by Verizon and GSM coverage is provided by AT&T; from my experience the general coverage areas provided by both of them is almost identical, with the only real differences between the two (for all practical purposes) being at the VERY local/neighborhood area (with the companies' coverage maps not providing *that* degree of detail anyway). So your best bet is to find out (not only from ST but even more (and probably more accurately so) from friends, family, contacts and your own personal experience which of the two providers have the best coverage in your own locale and the areas that you tend to frequent and/or visit.

Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Iridium
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, it is a GSM map -- which is kind of a bummer.

My mother, who has a CDMA phone from ST, just returned from Kingman, Arizona, where she had 0 coverage. The ST map states otherwise, but I realize that it is a GSM only coverage map.

Seems like false advertising.
    WiFi Guru

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveHC1 View Post
    As far as *I* can tell, CDMA coverage is provided by Verizon and GSM coverage is provided by AT&T; from my experience the general coverage areas provided by both of them is almost identical, with the only real differences between the two (for all practical purposes) being at the VERY local/neighborhood area (with the companies' coverage maps not providing *that* degree of detail anyway). So your best bet is to find out (not only from ST but even more (and probably more accurately so) from friends, family, contacts and your own personal experience which of the two providers have the best coverage in your own locale and the areas that you tend to frequent and/or visit.
    My Straight Talk phone uses T-mobile's network.

Carrier
    straight talk
    Feedback Score
    Anyone in the central florida area with a gsm phone for ST? Just wondering how the signal is? I have the cdma one and it seems to work very well, however, it doesn't always have the best signal in my home. Could it be my home being well insulated? Seems to work well in other buildings.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by stompoutloud View Post
    Anyone in the central florida area with a gsm phone for ST? Just wondering how the signal is? I have the cdma one and it seems to work very well, however, it doesn't always have the best signal in my home. Could it be my home being well insulated? Seems to work well in other buildings.
    You need to find out what gives you the best coverage. Verizon, T-mobile or AT&T. Straight Talk now uses one of the three depending on what phone you get.

Phones
    Droid MAXX
    Droid MAXX
    Carrier
    Big Red
    Feedback Score
    AT&T is worhless in my house, tmobile does not serve Omaha (just enough towers not to loose the license but offers no local numbers) my fear is when outside my home too. I do travel to south Dakota often and mow verizon has better coverage than shown, just don't know what

Carrier
    straight talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jlsky View Post
    You need to find out what gives you the best coverage. Verizon, T-mobile or AT&T. Straight Talk now uses one of the three depending on what phone you get.

I have a lg 290c running on the verizon network. If anyone has the lg620g with at&t coverage that lives in central florida, please post review on signal strength. thank you

Carrier
    All of them.
    Feedback Score
    Thats pretty much how T-Mobile is in Whitewater, Madison, anywhere west or north of Milwaukee WI.

T-Mobile drops out before Cricket does... and Cricket is new to the area.

Pretty sad, huh?
    Home ISP, RR-Ultimate WiFi, $90/mo | Verizon 4G, $30/mo Unlimited

School, $5,000/semester | Work

Feedback Score
    Straight Talk/Verizon works great in my town but once I get on the parkway I loose service. Straight Talk/AT&T sucks in town and I get no service even driving thru town, I wouldnt chance it out of town. Straight Talk/T-mobile gets me service in both areas I travel.

Just remember the Verizon coverage is not the same as even a Prepaid Verizon phone. Same area I had service with a Prepaid Verizon phone I didnt with the Straight Talk/Verizon phone.

This site might give you some insight on whats nearby http://www.cellreception.com/towers/

Phones
    Motorola RAZR V3(Grey) , Motorola RAZR V3(Blue), Moto Cliq, Nokia 6030,Motorola C139,Motorola i305
    Palm Treo 600 Motorola M800 Bag Phone Nokia 3390b, SonyEricsson Z300a
    Kyocera 6035/Globalstar Qualcomm GSP-1600
    Carriers
    T-Mobile(Post),ATT, T-Mobile(Post)-internet device, Boost
    PagePlus/Globalstar-PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Cricket may be using 1700 MHz. All new Cricket phone are triband 850, 170 and 1900 MHz.

Carrier
    Walmart/TracFone-Straight Talk on AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by stompoutloud View Post
    I live along FL's southwest coast. I used to have Verizon Wireless (CDMA) and used to have the same problems in my house that you've had. Since I switched to ST using the LG 620G (on AT&T's GSM system) the problem's largely disappeared. BTW - reception in general has been excellent, and the # of dropped calls has been certainly no greater, probably much less.

Carrier
    straight talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveHC1 View Post
    I live along FL's southwest coast. I used to have Verizon Wireless (CDMA) and used to have the same problems in my house that you've had. Since I switched to ST using the LG 620G (on AT&T's GSM system) the problem's largely disappeared. BTW - reception in general has been excellent, and the # of dropped calls has been certainly no greater, probably much less.
    Thanks. I might be willing to give it a try and also upgrade the phone I have to the lg620g. I like the slider type phone.

Phones
    IPHONE 4s, 3GS
    IPHONE 4s, IPHONE 3GS,
    Carrier
    NET10
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    so is straight talk a GMS or CDMA provider????????

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAP...ab=AllFeedback

ebay feedback above

WELCOME TO THE UNITED STATES OF ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast