Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Straight Talk GSM VS CDMA Coverage

Feedback Score

Newbie needs clarification

From ST Terms and Conditions:

"9. ROAMING: “Roaming” occurs when a subscriber of one wireless service provider uses the network facilities of another wireless service provider. Roaming usually occurs when a subscriber places or receives a call while outside of the network coverage area of their wireless service provider.

Service on the CDMA Network. If your Straight Talk Service is on the CDMA network, your Straight Talk phone will not roam when you are outside of the Straight Talk CDMA network coverage area.

Service on the GSM Network. If your Straight Talk Service is on the GSM network, your Straight Talk Wireless phone may roam when you are outside of the Straight Talk GSM network coverage area. When your Straight Talk GSM phone is roaming, Voice and SMS messaging will continue to be available to you at no additional charge. Mobile Web Services access will not be available while you are roaming outside of the Straight Talk GSM Network coverage area. When your GSM Straight Talk Phone is roaming, an indicator light on your handset may display the word "Roam" or "RM" on the screen while the phone is not in use."

"...your ST phone will not roam...when outside ST CDMA coverage area." - Does this mean that a CDMA phone will not work (have service at all) when outside the coverage area or that it will not be seen as or classified as 'roaming'?

"Mobile Web Services access will not be available while you are roaming outside of ST GSM coverage area." - This looks like you lose web access when roaming on GSM phone.

It looks like I'd be better off with a CDMA phone to avoid losing web access, but not if the CDMA phone loses all service outside of coverage areas.

And what's with those coverage area maps? I thought Verizon coverage was better than anyone else''s.

Feedback Score
    I may be moving to Lyons Falls, in Lewis County, New York. The place I'm looking at is so rural that even hillbillies refer to it as "the sticks."

I presently have Boost Blackberry (CDMA) service, which I've loved since day one. But alas, Boost has no CDMA service there. They do have iDen service, but I need POP3 email, which would limit my choices to either the Android i1 or the i8350 Blackberry, both of which have been discontinued (although they can be gotten from eBay, etc.), and neither of which particularly strikes my fancy. And then there's the fact that iDen's days are numbered, anyway...

Looking at the coverage maps, it seems that my choices are basically Verizon or AT&T. Both seem to provide decent coverage there. But both charge more than I care to pay for service. So I'm looking at pre-paid MVNOs.

When I enter the ZIP code into Straight Talk's site, they steer me toward GSM phones on AT&T. There are a couple there that I think would work for me, but I've read horror stories about ST's service and support. However, most of them go back a few years, so....

I'm wondering if anyone has some recent experience with ST, their service in general, and in particular any difficulties porting a number (from Boost) to ST. If I can't port it (or if it's going to be a nightmare to do so), that's not necessarily a deal-breaker; but if ports from Boost to ST usually go pretty smoothly, I'll probably keep the number.

Anyone have any recent experience, good or bad, with ST? I appreciate all input.

Thanks,

Richard

Feedback Score
    odd. I have a verizon cellpone/plan and we winter in Laughlin NV. It works fine here, bullhead city az and mohave county and ft mohave. cant remember if I ever tried using it in Kingman. bought a ST LG optimus logic at walmart in Bullhead and they gave me my 618 home area code, ST INSISTED VIA PHONE IT WOULD WORK AT HOME. ALAS AS it was a gms phone that required ATT cell towers it would never work there...only have verizon there. had to return the phone and so frustrated. Not sure what to do now. do know my verizon phone bounces off towers in 3 different states here so calls do sometimes get dropped

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ouizee47 View Post
    odd. I have a verizon cellpone/plan and we winter in Laughlin NV. It works fine here, bullhead city az and mohave county and ft mohave. cant remember if I ever tried using it in Kingman. bought a ST LG optimus logic at walmart in Bullhead and they gave me my 618 home area code, ST INSISTED VIA PHONE IT WOULD WORK AT HOME. ALAS AS it was a gms phone that required ATT cell towers it would never work there...only have verizon there. had to return the phone and so frustrated. Not sure what to do now. do know my verizon phone bounces off towers in 3 different states here so calls do sometimes get dropped
    Can't you just go back and get a CDMA-V ST phone? Wally World is pretty good about returns, although I don't know how they handle the service plan if the phone doesn't work...

-Richard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3