Thread: Unlock Sprint Phone to be used with Virgin Mobile

Feedback Score

Unlock Sprint Phone to be used with Virgin Mobile

I have looked far and wide and can not seem to find out if it can me done.

I know that virgin mobile used sprints network, so in theory it would work.

Here is what I want to do, I have been looking into getting an Android phone that is on the sprint network. Unlock the phone and register it on Virgin Mobile's prepaid $60 plan.

I was originally going to go with boost, but after having a boost berry for almost a year now I am just sick of the slow speeds of the iDen network. When I found out the Android for boost was on the iDen network I was a little upset that I still would not be getting the speeds I desire.

If anyone can shed some light on this I would appreciate it.

Carrier
    Sprint/Boost Mobile CDMA
    Feedback Score
    Yep, I can shed some light, first Boost Mobile has 2 different sides.

iDen side which works off the Nextel network, with the slow data speeds and the 'chirp' (Direct Connect) all of the iDen phones have an "i" in the model number i776/8350i for example.

CDMA side which is much faster with EVDO speeds with selected handsets, mainly Sprint branded phones.

So it is best to get a non-exclusive (no Hero, Moment, Pixi, Pre, Curve 8530, Evo etc.) phone and activate it on Boost Mobile's $50 Monthly Unlimited plan. Not only are you saving money, but Boost Mobile CDMA let's you BYOD ...just as long as its a non-exclusive Sprint branded phone.

And if you want an Android device... the closest you will get (as of right now) is a HTC Touch Pro2 running the Android port that can be found over on xda-developers.

I wish Virgin Mobile would allow Sprint branded phones
    Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?

Feedback Score
    First off I would like to thank you so much for your reply.

I am familiar with boost two networks, sorry I should have mentioned I am not a total n00b.

I currently have a 8350i on the iDen network (It is also known as a BoostBerry)

Needless to say I hate it, I had to originally get 'chirp' for work and the 8350i was the best thing that I could get, but after having it for a year the USB port is broken so not I have to use the charging cradle to charge my phone. The fact that the phone only supports MMS and not SMS (so no threaded messages arrrr that made me so mad) The speed on the iDen network is sooooooo slow, makes 56k look like broadband. I could get apps but I like mindless silly apps that the BoostBerry was very much lacking... So I want to upgrade.

I never thought to use Boost, I guess after having and seeing the VM commercials that seemed like a nice alternative. What I didn't consider was I just bought my girlfriend a boost phone (I think it was the sanyo incognito) when I went to activate it through the IVR system I was shocked to realize that it was a CDMA phone and the speeds where, well.... impressive to say the least. I just don't know why I never put two and two together since I am on the Boost $50 / Month plan right now......

Ok so back to my original topic, now you said the HTC Touch Pro2. So lets say I go out and buy a sprint version of it. Where do I take it from here? (because I am going to do this in the next week :-) )

Do I need to unlock it before calling boost to activate it through the IVR system? And what do you mean Android port? Can I still get apps from the android market? Also this is a CDMA phone correct? So I can do the one thing I have never been able to do, TALK AND TEXT AT THE SAME TIME???? AWWWWWW I would be sooooo happy if I could do this, I have never been able to and I just am jumping up and down thinking of what I may be able to do with this phone

I can't thank you enough for pointing me in this direction, if you can help me get this working I know I can do something to return the favor for helping me.

Carrier
    Sprint/Boost Mobile CDMA
    Feedback Score
    I love Boost Mobile and BlackBerry but on the iDen, for me, ...it wasn't good enough, I like the Direct Connect but I'd much rather have the EVDO speeds!

Not you be a total c*nt but I would do some reading on the Boost Mobile CDMA forum, it will answer most of your questions.

I can tell you if you have a Boost Mobile CDMA phone, all you have to do from there is call Customer Service and say you need to change phones and you have the new (...new to you) phone and the ESN for them. If they ask what the phone is say, "its a Juno" do NOT tell them its a Sprint branded HTC Touch Pro2!!!!!! They will laugh and hang up (not really, but they won't activate it for you)

So just tell them you're switching phones to "the Juno" and give the the Touch Pro2 ESN/ MEID (DEC) number from the sticker on the battery. Tell them its a used phone and you think it needs to be reprogrammed. They will give you the reprogramming instructions. make sure you write down the MSL which is the ##six-digit-number# (ex. ##845352#) then type that into the phones dialer and then you have to get the MDN which is just your phone number, and the last number you need to be writing down is the MSID and that's going to start with your area code.

Put all of those codes in the write spot and click save and you should be just fine.

But for right now brush up on the Boost Mobile CDMA side, I'd suggest you save the time and read through all of the threads before you post/ask questions (only because people will give you the runaround... Anyways goodluck! Hopefully I helped!

And by the way I don't know too much about that Android port, Google "Android on Touch Pro2" and you'll be directed to XDA-Developers

Phones
    Pantech Ocean
    HTC Touch Pro
    LG Rumor 2
    Carriers
    Boost Mobile
    Virgin Mobile & Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Bigdaddymikey should be able to shed some light on the TP2 running Android, since he has one himself, But if I remember correctly- it runs winmo as well. (maybe he or martin can also move this out of the Helio forum and into the Boost CDMA one instead.)
    Left Virgin for Helio and all it had to offer... Only to get "acquired" back to virgin again... slowly loosing everything I switched for. Then came a light at the end of the tunnel when we got "acquired" yet again by sprint... sadly they brought us nothing and took from us everything, so as the ship sank I stayed aboard and then on the 23rd I quickly ported over to boost... and I'm the happiest I've ever been.

RIP HELIO... you were set-up to fail but it was fun while it lasted.

Carrier
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Thread closed. This topic is covered in the FAQ in the Virgin Mobile USA section. It's worth a read, there's good info in there.

Become a Premium Member
    Want to use a referral link in your signature, support the forums by becoming a Premium Member!
    Have you read the forum rules lately?
    If you have a problem with a post for any reason, please report it rather than responding to it, and a moderator will be along shortly.