Phones
    SE S500i (current)
    Nokia 6103 (previously)
    Nokia 8260 (previously)
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score

Rogers Student Plans

I am currently a customer with Rogers and am looking to graduate to the BlackBerry phones. They currently have a promotion for students. Being that my student card expires at the end of the month I want to get the plan into place. Does anyone know if Rogers will question my student card that is about to expire and more importantly do they need to keep checking and verifying my student status like insurance companies do? I can always say my student card expires annually and I just have to get it renewed can't I?

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    As long as it's NOT expired they will not deny nor say anything. And from experience once you have a student plan you keep it no need to keep "verifying" it.

Carrier
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    You need a student card to get it, not keep it.

Feedback Score
    I went with my friends go to some dealer store and even a Telus store... They all give us the student plan even we're not student... So you don't need to have a student ID in order to get student plan...

Phones
    Galaxy Note
    Moto G
    Blackberry Q5
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    if you already have a plan call retentions up and see if they can hook you up cause the student plan is pretty crappy

Phones
    SE S500i (current)
    Nokia 6103 (previously)
    Nokia 8260 (previously)
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by arberb View Post
    if you already have a plan call retentions up and see if they can hook you up cause the student plan is pretty crappy
    I do not have a blackberry yet or a data plan. I was planning to call retentions and ask what they can do. How else would I go about getting a better plan?

Phones
    Galaxy Note
    Moto G
    Blackberry Q5
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Carz n Phonez View Post
    I do not have a blackberry yet or a data plan. I was planning to call retentions and ask what they can do. How else would I go about getting a better plan?
    only good way is retentions. The CSR's from sales can only give you what plans they have in the system. You can get it all under 45$(either 500mb or 6gb data most likely u can get six) if you already have a phone with rogers. Just make sure you know what you want. Let them know that your under a tight budget and your contract is almost over and your thinking about upgrading to a blackberry if a good deal is brought to the table get what im saying? Also remind them about other places like wind and mobilicity and theyre cheap plans

Phone
    Carrier
    Rogers, PostPaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CGY Guy View Post
    You need a student card to get it, not keep it.
    Not technically accurate there, CGY.

Section 9 of the ToS:
    http://your.rogers.com/about/legaldi...er/TOS_Eng.pdf
    reads:
    If you are receiving any benefit as a result of your relationship with a third party (e.g., your employer), we may verify such relationship. If you become ineligible to receive such benefit for any reason (e.g., your employment is terminated or your employer becomes ineligible to receive the benefit), we reserve the right to transfer your Service to an alternate Service plan, as determined by us in our sole discretion
    In reality though I think that this doesn't get invoked very often at all, and possibly never for students.

Carrier
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BellVictim View Post
    Not technically accurate there, CGY.

Section 9 of the ToS:
    http://your.rogers.com/about/legaldi...er/TOS_Eng.pdf
    reads:

In reality though I think that this doesn't get invoked very often at all, and possibly never for students.
    True enough. But, I say that as there are those with a high school card (parents account), a Uni or Comm College card. Those are usually good for a few years.

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S III, Samsung Galaxy W
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Telus students plans are better than the Rogers ones this year

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by porpackage View Post
    Telus students plans are better than the Rogers ones this year
    I'd disagree. Telus has been really adamant that they'll charge $8 for Caller ID and that's a pretty essential feature to most people. Therefore their plans are $48 and $63. For $2 more with Rogers ($50) you can get 400 mb more data and free local wifi calling with a blackberry. Not to mention you don't have to sign a 3 year agreement like Telus so you can bring an unlocked phone and go month to month. Sure Telus gives you 5 more #s for nationwide calling, but at least for me it's not really something special compared to the previous points (one number in my 5 can be a calling card number, which takes care of long-distance numbers you don't rally call that often).

These clearly aren't real student deals. One, their prices are high for students, and two they pretty much give them to anyone. That in itself demonstrates that it's not a special deal. At the stores they act like they're doing you a favour by offering such 'cheap' plans.

I'm actually seriously now just considering foregoing a smart-phone and getting on WIND or at the very least purchase my own unlocked phone so I don't have to sign a contract with these companies.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fresh22 View Post
    I'd disagree. Telus has been really adamant that they'll charge $8 for Caller ID and that's a pretty essential feature to most people. Therefore their plans are $48 and $63. For $2 more with Rogers ($50) you can get 400 mb more data and free local wifi calling with a blackberry. Not to mention you don't have to sign a 3 year agreement like Telus so you can bring an unlocked phone and go month to month. Sure Telus gives you 5 more #s for nationwide calling, but at least for me it's not really something special compared to the previous points (one number in my 5 can be a calling card number, which takes care of long-distance numbers you don't rally call that often).

These clearly aren't real student deals. One, their prices are high for students, and two they pretty much give them to anyone. That in itself demonstrates that it's not a special deal. At the stores they act like they're doing you a favour by offering such 'cheap' plans.

I'm actually seriously now just considering foregoing a smart-phone and getting on WIND or at the very least purchase my own unlocked phone so I don't have to sign a contract with these companies.
    Telus $55 student plan gives you 10 nationwide favorites number + 1GB data... while Rogers $50 student only gives you My5 Canada-Wide + 500MB... so $5 more for 500MB more data...

Telus gives you Unlimited Text to Canada + US... while Rogers only gives you Unlimited Text to Canada...

http://www.telusmobility.com/en/ON/p...tudent40.shtml

Rogers charges you $8 for Call Display too... If you add $2 for Name Display then the total is $10 more...

http://www.rogers.com/web/content/ad...s?tab2_content

Rogers is more expensive because you have to pay more for the GRRF + tax

The Government Regulatory Recovery Fee ranges from $2.46-$3.46/line/month (varies by province and plan selected).
    If you click on the Rogers "+ Legal Disclaimer" URL link, you will see Rogers require 3 years term for student plan too...

Available exclusively to highschool/post-secondary students; valid student identification required. Offer ends November 1, 2010 and is only available with new activation or hardware upgrade on any student plan with a 3-year term.
    http://www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.por...IR_PLANS_slot1

If you want month-to-month student plan then I think you can go with Virgin Mobile...

http://www.virginmobile.ca/vmc/en/plans/smartphone.html

and I think Virgin Mobile will give you boost your Unlimited Text to Unlimited International Text messaging ...
    http://www.virginmobile.ca/vmc/en/hot-offers/