Thread: Selling Net10 Phone help....

Feedback Score

Selling Net10 Phone help....

My wife has a net10 phone she has been using to keep costs down. Well she discovered texting so we are moving her to the new Virgin Mobile $25 deal. Our neighbor wants to buy her net10 phone. The phone still has over 400 minutes on it. Will the minutes stay with the phone when my neighbor ports her number to it? How do we go about this?

Feedback Score
    If you had registered the NET10 phone on the website, unregister it. Call CS and make sure there is no name on it. Then have the neighbor call 1-800-876-5753 Miami CS first thing on a weekday morning and get the number changed. It will need a new SIM card if it is a GSM phone. Do not let regular CS touch the port. They are not competent for this.

Feedback Score
    Pardon my ignorance, but real novice at this. The person buying the phone will be coming from Tracfone I believe. It is the newer slider phone, so not sure if it is gsm or now. How do we get a new sim card? If I unregister online, what happens to my wife's number? We obviously want to port it to the new Virgin Mobile phone....

Feedback Score
    Registering online just sets you up with a convenient listing of your phones that will keep track of your serial numbers and expiration dates for you. It makes it convenient to add minutes because you just click on the phone. You don't have to remember the serial number or phone number, so you can operate on the phone without actually having it in hand (handy for those managing kids). But the account will want a name (you can make one up). If you eventually remove a phone from the list, the name tends to stick and the next owner might have complications unless you call CS and change it. We didn't realize that some of the identifying information tended to stick. It is TF's way of complicating things so phones aren't so easily passed around. You might have to give the correct name in order to do major things to a phone, even though it is no longer in an account. You don't have to put a phone in an account. It just keeps an inventory for you. Most legitimate users like to have this as backup. Registering is not the same as activating for service. Prepaids are basically anonymous. You just buy them and power them up with minutes. It is up to you to register them, like when you fill out a warranty card for an appliance.

Look in the battery compartment and see if there is a SIM card in there. The phone number gets encoded onto it, and it is a use-once thing.

When you order a new SIM because the number is changing, the phone will be turned off until the new number gets set up. The minutes stay there, but the old SIM quits working so there is no service. Airtime is stored on the handset.

GSM phones (AT&T, T-Mobile) use SIMs. CDMA phones (Verizon) don't. Just different technologies.

Carrier
    NET10/TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by volntitan View Post
    Will the minutes stay with the phone when my neighbor ports her number to it? How do we go about this?
    Begin by contacting Virgin Mobile about your wife's new phone and tell them you want to port her number. VM will handle the port from your wife's old phone to her new Virgin Mobile phone. When they do that, the NET10 phone will go inactive. Your neighbor then has 30 days to re-activate it (porting his existing number to it) in order to keep the 400 minutes. He may need to add an airtime card when he activates it.

When he calls to re-activate the phone, you can assist him in proving to Customer Service that he has the phone legally. If the phone requires a SIM card, NET10 will send a new one for free that will arrive in 2 or 3 days.

Feedback Score
    Thanks...before I have the phone number ported to the virgin mobile, do you think I should call Net10 just to have them make a notation on the account that I will be doing it and then having the phone reactivated under a new number/account? Do I also need to "unregister" as the previous poster suggested?

Sorry for the confusion, I just don't want the minutes to go to waste. My neighbor said she would pay us for the minutes left on the phone.

Feedback Score
    I would NOT call Net10 before the port. Sometimes their CS gets confused and might disconnect the number ahead of the port which could lead to not being able to port the number. I think that the chances of major problems are less by allowing Virgin to handle the port then reactivating the phone.

Carrier
    NET10/TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by volntitan View Post
    Thanks...before I have the phone number ported to the virgin mobile, do you think I should call Net10 just to have them make a notation on the account that I will be doing it and then having the phone reactivated under a new number/account? Do I also need to "unregister" as the previous poster suggested?

Sorry for the confusion, I just don't want the minutes to go to waste. My neighbor said she would pay us for the minutes left on the phone.
    Don't contact NET10 until AFTER the port. Then remove the phone from your NET10 online account if you have one, and then call Miami CS to tell them to remove your name, etc. from the phone (identified by its serial number). At the same time, you can give them your neighbor's name and tell them that she is the new owner of the phone.

Your neighbor can then port her number and re-activate the phone (either at NET10 online or by calling Miami CS). If she re-activates the phone within 30 days, she should get the remaining minutes, but she probably will need to add an airtime card in order to re-activate the phone. Even though the phone will have minutes on it, I think NET10 requires you to add an airtime card to re-activate an inactive phone. Any minutes she adds will be added to the minutes you left behind.