Thread: Defragment your Droid!!! It Works!

Feedback Score

Defragment your Droid!!! It Works!

Well, I received my OTA FRG22D update today and noticed that my Droid had been running very slowly. It would take forever to return to the home screen, and also scroll between screens. I decided to clean out as much crap as I could hoping it might have less things to index or cache and therefore make it faster... that didnt work. So I put a bit more thought into it and decided I was going to Defragment the phone from my Windows 7 computer. All of you techies are probably saying to yourself "it's flash memory and doesnt need to be defragmented", I was thinking the same. But what I also thought about was the way the Windows OS defragments, it also consolidates the files for quicker retrieval by the host OS. Now for a Windows OS on SSD this may not matter but the Android OS responded very well. So, the end result was no more slowness and a quicker Droid. Magical fix for me, some of you super tech's feel free to chime in on why this might work... Good Luck and I hope this helps some of you out!

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; DROID2 Build/VZW) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1 480X854 motorola DROID2)

I did a hard reset after the update, which worked fine.

Feedback Score
    Yea, that would probably do it... but I didnt want to lose all my settings.

Phone
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    American Telephone & Telegraph Company
    Feedback Score
    There's no point in "de-fragmenting" a flash drive. It's random access and it takes the same time to fetch the next sector vs. one on the other "end" of the drive. What you're experiencing is either a Placebo effect or the improvement is being caused by something else.

PRL Interpretations
    XFF's AlphaTag software
    Cellular and PCS License Maps
    Quote Originally Posted by gpatrick900
    I am a little confused. My Verizon phone was able to roam on GSM because they used TDMA. Tell it was shutdown. The phone recognizes it as Analog. If PCS has TDMA, It could be technically be used on GSM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabla View Post
    Y'know, I'm used to hysterical 14-year-old ******** on the internet, but this is exceptional. Never before in human history have so many nerds hyperventilated so publicly over so little.

Carriers
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    Formatting the SD card would work just as well as doesn't seem as destructive to flash memory as a defrag, which needlessly reduces the lifespan (since flash only has a limited number of read/write cycles).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by italiarep View Post
    Well, I received my OTA FRG22D update today and noticed that my Droid had been running very slowly. It would take forever to return to the home screen, and also scroll between screens. I decided to clean out as much crap as I could hoping it might have less things to index or cache and therefore make it faster... that didnt work. So I put a bit more thought into it and decided I was going to Defragment the phone from my Windows 7 computer. All of you techies are probably saying to yourself "it's flash memory and doesnt need to be defragmented", I was thinking the same. But what I also thought about was the way the Windows OS defragments, it also consolidates the files for quicker retrieval by the host OS. Now for a Windows OS on SSD this may not matter but the Android OS responded very well. So, the end result was no more slowness and a quicker Droid. Magical fix for me, some of you super tech's feel free to chime in on why this might work... Good Luck and I hope this helps some of you out!
    LMFAO.
    Wow this is classic

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/f-ckin...w-do-they-work

Feedback Score

The real question is how'd they get your voice inside that phone?!
    Last edited by chicagofog; 09-03-2010 at 02:39 PM.