Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: HTC Maple Dialed 112 While Locked!

Phone
    HTC Maple
    Carrier
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400 Safari/6531.22.7)

Anyone know what key it is on an HTC Maple that calls 112 (gsm emergency) if held down even when locked? My phone put out a funny tone, and I pulled it out of my pocket, and it was both locked and calling "emergency 112".
    Most Canadians with wireless service don't know about the Commissioner for Complaints for Telecommunications Service

Carrier
    Mobilicity
    Feedback Score
    I dont know, but it seems to do a lot of things while 'locked'.
    I especially dont like how it can answer calls while 'locked' in my pocket. Microsoft is stupid.

Carrier
    Mobilicity
    Feedback Score
    lol i tested it out and if you type 112 it dials emergency. stupid thing. WHILE LOCKED!!!!! pressing 911 while locked does the same thing.

Phones
    Blackberry Bold 9700
    Blackberry Bold 9700
    IPHONE 3GS
    Feedback Score
    088 is more stupid...easy to misdial...on my HUAWEI while locked.

Phone
    HTC Maple, T-Mobile HD2
    Carrier
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Yes, all GSM/UMTS phones must be able to dial 112 or 911 while locked...plus any extra emergency numbers stored on the SIM card. I've yet to see a phone that doesn't.

As for answering while in pocket, you have an option to either answer by pressing any key or the green call key (change settings if you want to change it). I've never had it autodial or auto answer ever when it was locked.
    Real World Cellular Coverage and Tower Maps
    Contribute if you have a Windows Mobile 6.x/Android 2.1 or greater device/BlackBerry OS 4.3 or greater

Phone
    HTC Maple
    Carrier
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400 Safari/6531.22.7)

Does it at least make you press send bEfore dialing emergency?
    Last edited by Barbarian; 09-11-2010 at 09:02 AM.

Carriers
    WIND Mobile (09/2010-present)
    Bell 05/2005-08/2006, Virgin Mobile Canada 08/2006-11/2009, Fido 11/2009-09/2010
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zivan56 View Post
    Yes, all GSM/UMTS phones must be able to dial 112 or 911 while locked...plus any extra emergency numbers stored on the SIM card. I've yet to see a phone that doesn't.
    I presume many touchscreen-only phones have no means to do this. Certainly my Nexus One can't.

Phones
    N900
    N75
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    It is true though, just about all gsm phones will let you dial 112 or 911 while locked, and with no sim inserted, etc.

Phone
    Android Dev Phone 2
    Carrier
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cmstlist View Post
    I presume many touchscreen-only phones have no means to do this. Certainly my Nexus One can't.
    Uh, if your phone is locked with an unlock pattern, PIN or password, there's a big ol' button that says Emergency Call. Pressing it brings up the Emergency Dialer.

If your phone isn't protected, then you can just unlock and bring up the dialer, eh?

Metro Vancouver{Surrey BC} (Desi/Apna Town)
    Carriers
    (Bell HSDPA&EVDO onPostPaid&PrePaid)
    [Telus Pre-Paid CDMA on 1x(Best Prepaid option in market)]
    Feedback Score
    I have owned and still own a lot of dumb & smartphones, almost 90% of them will let you dial 112 or 008 or 911 even when its locked and even if no sim in the phone. The reason behind this is because when you have an emergency so sometime start to panic and can't recall your pin # so that is why it lets you do this....

As another poster mentioned above even if a GSM/HSPA phone has no sim in it, it will let you call those emergency #'s and on CDMA any phone that turns on will also let you dial 911 only on it, even if its locked.
    My Month to Month Bell Plan on HSPA/EVDO
    15000 Outgoing Seconds a Month(250Min), Unlimited Incoming Calls, Unlimited eve&weekend 6pmto8am,Unlimited Text From Canada to Canada&USA Incld LandLine, Unlimited FWDing, Enhanced Voice Mail, Caller ID, Conference Calling/Call Waiting, If I go over my 15000 Seconds (Extra seconds are 2.5c for every 15 seconds)=10c a Min, Canadian LD 2c for every 15 Seconds=8c a min, USA LD = 3.5c for every 15 Seconds=15c a min,
    $22 a month + BC Taxes @ 12%

Phone
    Nexus 5
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by psgill2873 View Post
    I have owned and still own a lot of dumb & smartphones, almost 90% of them will let you dial 112 or 008 or 911 even when its locked and even if no sim in the phone. The reason behind this is because when you have an emergency so sometime start to panic and can't recall your pin # so that is why it lets you do this....

As another poster mentioned above even if a GSM/HSPA phone has no sim in it, it will let you call those emergency #'s and on CDMA any phone that turns on will also let you dial 911 only on it, even if its locked.
    It's a legal requirement, and I don't think it has anything to do with the risk of people not remembering their PIN in a panic. Let's say I have prepaid AT&T service, and I come to Canada (for the record, prepaid accounts on AT&T cannot roam in Canada). I have no usable service, even though there is compatible (i.e. GSM/UMTS) service in the area. THIS is the type of situation that requires any phone can dial the SOS route on any network.

On my Nexus One running the latest CyanogenMod nightly, with a Rogers SIM card, entering any of 911,112,999,000,08,118,120,122,110,119,995 will send the call over the SOS route. The inclusion of most (or all?) the emergency numbers allows anyone from anywhere to pick up any phone, dial the emergency number they know, and get through to emergency services.

It's all a matter of public safety. If the call to emergency services is technically possible, it must be allowed, and it must be trivial for the user to accomplish.
    Coverage Mapper - A crowd sourced cellular signal strength mapping application
    Download from the Google Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...CoverageMapper.
    http://www.coveragemapper.com

The opinions stated here are my own, not necessarily those of my employer.

Phones
    Nexus S
    Nexus S
    Carriers
    Mobilicity
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    My phone called the SOS 3 or 4 times already while in my pocket during work. I got a few callbacks from the RCMP to make sure I was okay.

God, I want to turn it off.
    Of course!! It all makes sense now!

Carriers
    Bell
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbarian View Post

Anyone know what key it is on an HTC Maple that calls 112 (gsm emergency) if held down even when locked? My phone put out a funny tone, and I pulled it out of my pocket, and it was both locked and calling "emergency 112".
    i know on the phones i've owned, that holding down 9 will dial the emergency number programmed into the phone... but that requires the keypad to be unlocked first. if there's no sim in the phone (or has the wrong sim inserted), it's the only thing it will probably let you dial, except for maybe 611...

(starts googling)

apparently 112 is the european equivalent to 911, but you probably already knew that.

i've yet to have a phone that will pocket dial, i suppose i could stick my sim into my razr, lock the keypad and see what holding 9 does...

Carriers
    WIND Mobile (09/2010-present)
    Bell 05/2005-08/2006, Virgin Mobile Canada 08/2006-11/2009, Fido 11/2009-09/2010
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by j0no View Post
    Uh, if your phone is locked with an unlock pattern, PIN or password, there's a big ol' button that says Emergency Call. Pressing it brings up the Emergency Dialer.

If your phone isn't protected, then you can just unlock and bring up the dialer, eh?
    My mistake, I was mixing up "locked" as in "screen off or keypad locked but not for security reasons", with "PIN/pattern/password locked". When my N1 is on a plain lock screen, there is no possibility of accidentally calling emergency.

Phone
    Nexus 5
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cmstlist View Post
    My mistake, I was mixing up "locked" as in "screen off or keypad locked but not for security reasons", with "PIN/pattern/password locked". When my N1 is on a plain lock screen, there is no possibility of accidentally calling emergency.
    Unless the power button gets pressed

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast