MOT Droid Mini,
    Home Phone Connect,
    MOT Droid 3,
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless, Page Plus
    Feedback Score

How do ya uninstall City ID ???

How do you uninstall City ID????

Back when I got my new phone, it came pre-installed and was running in some sort of a free trail mode.

Now that the trail is over, I want to remove it (ie, stop it from executing and running at all).

During the trail period, it would return its best guess at the originating location of the phone call. It would insert that info into my call list.

Now, it is still running, but because I refuse to pay for it, instead it returns "Unknown" as the originating location.

I really want it to do NOTHING. Not even tag each call as "Unknown".

Carrier
    PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    I dealt with this issue of CityID running all the time by just taking it out of my startup group. It's still installed, but is never called upon to run now. I use ResInfo to check what processes are running and it's not there anymore. Yay.

Phones
    MOT Droid Mini,
    Home Phone Connect,
    MOT Droid 3,
    Carriers
    Feedback Score
    That doesn't seem to be the way it works on my phone. As far as I can tell, it gets executed (triggered) automatically when a phone call is initially received. If "deactivated" because you aren't paying for the extra feature, it simply returns back the string "Unknown". IMHO, it would have been far more tolerable if it returned simply a null or blank string.

Also, it seems to prevent the default operation of the phone attempting to fetch the caller's location by way of the Address info that might be contained in the Contract Directory. If actually uninstalled, I was hoping that this default behavior would be restored back.

Thanks anyway.

Carrier
    PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Ok, now that I look, I see what you mean by the call list. I never have used it, so I didn't realize that's what you were talking about. BTW I have the Fathom, too.

The 'location' seems to be an additional field in the call info; my i760 with WM6 doesn't have it.

Perhaps it's a VZW 'enhancement' like the messaging has been 'enhanced'. Or is it a WM6.5.3 thing?

I did find a way to keep it from running constantly (it no longer runs at all), but I don't have a way to actually fix the problem as stated.

Sorry...

Carriers
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    bump

So, has anyone found a way to remove this from the phone? So far I've just heard a lot of commiseration about CityID, but nothing about being able to actually delete it. It doesn't pop up and say "buy me!" anymore, but it's still a running process. I don't want it as a running process. I want this crapplet gone. I want it to die.

Help me.
    --------------------------------------
    David

^-- Using PDANet on my Droid Eris

Phones
    Motorola ATRIX 2
    Verizon iPhone 4S (Wife's)
    Carriers
    Straight Talk, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Probably not the answer you want to hear but I found this with a google search
    http://androidforums.com/incredible-...install-3.html

I just skimmed the 3 pages on that thread but it seems it cannot be removed.

Phones
    A phone
    with buttons
    'n stuff
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Root your phone then use root explorer to delete the apk.

This will however preclude you from ever getting another ota update.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; DROID2 Build/VZW) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1 480X854 motorola DROID2)

Yes, it can be uninstalled, but you must be rooted. It's been uninstalled on my DROID 2.

Carriers
    Straight Talk (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    The LG Ally just got a new update, and suddenly I had CityID. One of the features of the update was "Enjoy preinstalled applications..." Yeah, right. Anyway, I rooted the Ally and used ConnectBot to allow me to rename the CityID-release.apk to CityID-release.bak. It no longer runs or shows up as an app on the phone. If/when I need to, I can rename it back again.

Quote Originally Posted by Vatothe0 View Post
    Root your phone then use root explorer to delete the apk.

This will however preclude you from ever getting another ota update.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    This is because the file is missing? The renaming, and subsequent re-renaming I mentioned above would avoid this problem, right?

Phones
    MOT Droid Mini,
    Home Phone Connect,
    MOT Droid 3,
    Carriers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lvassar0001 View Post
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; DROID2 Build/VZW) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1 480X854 motorola DROID2)

Yes, it can be uninstalled, but you must be rooted. It's been uninstalled on my DROID 2.
    OK, how do you "root" a Fathom, which is Win Mobile phone?

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by WaltA
    Quote Originally Posted by lvassar0001 View Post

OK, how do you "root" a Fathom, which is Win Mobile phone?
    I didn't know what phone you had, but I found a possible solution.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1578308-Uninstall-CityId-and-other-Verizon-Apps