Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Switching Smartphones on ATT.

Feedback Score

Switching Smartphones on ATT.

Currently I have an Iphone, but am planning on switching cell phones. I am planning on buying an Android phone, at some point, and am curious if I can just take the sim card out of the Iphone and put it in the new android phone, and leave it at that, or do I have to inform ATT I am changing phones...

I am just curious because I know you can switch with regular phones with no problem, but I want to know if you can do that changing from smart phone to smart phone. I would still be using internet so it wouldn't be like cheating the system or anything...

Also I like both the Iphone and Android and would like to know if I could have both phones and just put the sim card in w/e I feel like using that week..

Sorry if these questions are stupid I am new to ATT and am not sure how this works. I had US cellular before and everything was taken care of at the stores...

Thanks to whoever helps me!

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    iPhone to Android is fine; you'll get a wonky text message when you get a voicemail but aside from that you'll be ok. Blackberry is the only one that doesn't like to play nice, due to the requirement of Blackberry services to get things like email and BBM to work.
    My statements and opinions do not reflect those of my employer, AT&T Mobility. This is disclosed per FTC regulation.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ant1pathy View Post
    iPhone to Android is fine; you'll get a wonky text message when you get a voicemail but aside from that you'll be ok. Blackberry is the only one that doesn't like to play nice, due to the requirement of Blackberry services to get things like email and BBM to work.
    So all I would have to do is switch the sim card from one to the other or vice versa whenever I want and everything will be okay? I dont have to let an ATT rep. know or anything? Correct, if not then it would be nice to have both phones, just because I like tech. haha

Phones
    Nexus One
    N97 Mini (SOLD)
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    You will be fine. Black berry is usually the one that's difficult. And the iPhone can be since it requires its own iPhone plan for visual voice mail. But other than that you will be fine swapping sim cards with an android phone. Actually if you use Google voice for your voice mail it might not even matter.
    Current Device: Nexus One
    Phone History: |N97 Mini| |5800| |E71-2| |N95-4| |N95-3| |N75| |6131| |6230| |SE T616|

| My HoFo Feedback |

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Which iPhone do you have? If you have an iPhone 4, it uses a micro SIM so you will also need a micro SIM adaptor for it to work in a different phone.

Phone
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    If you go from an iPhone 4 to another phone, an then back to an iPhone, will you you lose your grandfathered unlimited data?

Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Quote Originally Posted by jst51
    If you go from an iPhone 4 to another phone, an then back to an iPhone, will you you lose your grandfathered unlimited data?
    No. The only way you would lose your unlimited data plan, would be if you went from a smartphone to a non-smartphone. As long as you keep switching from smartphone to smartphone, you will keep your unlimited data plan.

Carrier
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    I was told by cs if I put my iphone 3gs sim back in to my nokia e71x that they would change my data plan from unl to 2 gigs unless I told them first.. I do not usually listen to cs as they are almost always wrong lol but just FYI
    NHCharmedOne

My opinions are mine, not yours, no one says you have to agree with them! =)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NHCharmedOne View Post
    I was told by cs if I put my iphone 3gs sim back in to my nokia e71x that they would change my data plan from unl to 2 gigs unless I told them first.. I do not usually listen to cs as they are almost always wrong lol but just FYI
    I don't think that rep. Knew what he/she was talking about, because I switch my smartphone devices, and AT&T hasn't removed the unlimited data plan on my account yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carrier
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Sweet, Thank you becuase there are times I want my nokia back and I just didnt want to chance it, but then again this is why I love this site

Carrier
    Cingulatt
    Feedback Score
    If you switch sim from an iPhone 4 with unlimited data feature to another Att branded smartphone, does Att even switch your data feature to a unlimited "smartphone" data feature at all? Thanks.

Phones
    Nexus One
    N97 Mini (SOLD)
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wlo8 View Post
    If you switch sim from an iPhone 4 with unlimited data feature to another Att branded smartphone, does Att even switch your data feature to a unlimited "smartphone" data feature at all? Thanks.
    i dont think so, at least not that i recall reading about. mostly we just hear of people who got switched UP to the proper plan...

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wlo8 View Post
    Kinda. Certain smartphone plans have certain provisioning features; mostly Blackberry services and Visual Voicemail on iPhones. Being on the right plan makes things cleaner if you're keeping that phone for a while. If you're swapping frequently you should be ok with any of them.

Phone
    HP Veer
    Carrier
    Cingular Fits You Best
    Feedback Score
    If you want to use iPhone in the future do nothing. But if you plan to only use android and got something that isn't Nexus One or AT&T-branded then you should be able to drop down to MEdiaNet which is the same service for half the price ($15/month)
    More Bars in More Places.

Carrier
    Cingulatt
    Feedback Score
    I just tried a sim with the iPhone 3G data feature in a ATT X10, a ATT feature phone, and an unbranded Desire, all the data works. However, when I tried a sim with the smartphone data feature in a iPhone 3G and iPhone 2G, the data does not work. Any ideas?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast