Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Safety of Microcell

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1
    Feedback Score
    0

    Safety of Microcell

    I am sure this issue has been discussed, but could some one please clarify, in lay-persons terms, how the AT&T Micro Cell tower works to amplify my iPhone's cell reception and also explain if this unit is safe (small children in house)

    Thank you for your guidance.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    nw illinois
    Posts
    283
    Phones
    Nokia E63 & Razr V9
    LG Shine
    Nokia E51
    Carriers
    Cingular/AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    It's perfectly safe. Were you expecting it to microwave your kids? It does not really "amplify" the signal it's basically rerouted over your internet connection (similar to WIFI).

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    BTA027
    Posts
    16,535
    Phone
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    American Telephone & Telegraph Company
    Feedback Score
    0
    It's as safe as a Wi-Fi access point, about the same level of radiated power.

    PRL Interpretations
    XFF's AlphaTag software
    Cellular and PCS License Maps
    Quote Originally Posted by gpatrick900
    I am a little confused. My Verizon phone was able to roam on GSM because they used TDMA. Tell it was shutdown. The phone recognizes it as Analog. If PCS has TDMA, It could be technically be used on GSM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabla View Post
    Y'know, I'm used to hysterical 14-year-old ******** on the internet, but this is exceptional. Never before in human history have so many nerds hyperventilated so publicly over so little.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    4,096
    Phone
    HP Veer
    Carrier
    Cingular Fits You Best
    Feedback Score
    0
    It is as safe as using your mobile phone. No properly conducted studies have shown any risk from radio signals. If you are concerend about RF in your home you should cease using all cordless phones, mobile phones, bluetooth, wireless doorbells, etc.

    If anything it is safer if you have poor signal in your home to use the Microcell since the phone increases its transmit power (hence the reduction in battery life).
    More Bars in More Places.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,438
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by joako View Post
    It is as safe as using your mobile phone. No properly conducted studies have shown any risk from radio signals. If you are concerend about RF in your home you should cease using all cordless phones, mobile phones, bluetooth, wireless doorbells, etc.

    If anything it is safer if you have poor signal in your home to use the Microcell since the phone increases its transmit power (hence the reduction in battery life).
    You should stop living above ground. You'll pull in more radiation on a nice walk than you will using a cellphone for hours.
    My statements and opinions do not reflect those of my employer, AT&T Mobility. This is disclosed per FTC regulation.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,274
    Phones
    nokia N75
    nokia 6230
    nokia 2190
    Carrier
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    0
    I suggest tin hats for everyone!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    NW Arkansas
    Posts
    4,727
    Phones
    Nokia N900, Nokia E75, Nokia 5800XM
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Nokia N900
    Nokia N810, Nokia E71
    Carrier
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    0
    Watch out. It will cook your testicles and prevent you from having more kids. It will also cause your existing children to grow a third arm and cause them to morph into Spider Man (or woman) if they get bitten by a spider in the presence of the Microcell device.

    Seriously, though, despite all the studies that have been done, nobody has been able to link low levels of electromagnetic "radiation" to any sort of disease or syndrome. EM waves don't really penetrate the water in your skin very well, so their primary effect is to heat the skin. At higher levels, that might be enough to cause sunburn, which carries with it an increased skin cancer risk, but we're talking macrocell-type power levels (hundreds of watts), not Microcell levels (tens of milliwatts).

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Monmouth Jct
    Posts
    4,574
    Carriers
    T-Mobile (current)
    Verizon, Sprint (1997-2007)
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainkids View Post
    I am sure this issue has been discussed, but could some one please clarify, in lay-persons terms, how the AT&T Micro Cell tower works to amplify my iPhone's cell reception and also explain if this unit is safe (small children in house)
    I'm loving the logic on this: It's okay if the adults fry, but OH MY GOD WILL SOMEONE THINK OF THE CHILDREN?!

    The microcell is no more "dangerous" than your cell phone. If you really have concerns, you need to quit using your cell.

    Left: iPhone 5s on T-Mobile. Right: Comcast home internet connection.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    4,096
    Phone
    HP Veer
    Carrier
    Cingular Fits You Best
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by wierdo View Post
    Watch out. It will cook your testicles and prevent you from having more kids. It will also cause your existing children to grow a third arm and cause them to morph into Spider Man (or woman) if they get bitten by a spider in the presence of the Microcell device.

    Seriously, though, despite all the studies that have been done, nobody has been able to link low levels of electromagnetic "radiation" to any sort of disease or syndrome. EM waves don't really penetrate the water in your skin very well, so their primary effect is to heat the skin. At higher levels, that might be enough to cause sunburn, which carries with it an increased skin cancer risk, but we're talking macrocell-type power levels (hundreds of watts), not Microcell levels (tens of milliwatts).
    Actually if you were to climb up onto an active tower near the antennas you'd probably get cancer and die within a year. That's because they are transmitting hundreds if not hundreds of thousands (TV/radio) of watts to get multi-mile coverage. Of course it's an inverse effect of distance at the ground you are perfectly safe.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Redwood Valley, Northwestern California (Previous-Pocatello, Idaho(90-97)/Southern California(71-90)
    Posts
    25,792
    Phone
    HTC One M8/Samsung Galaxy Note 3/Nokia Lumia 521
    Carrier
    AT&T/T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainkids View Post
    I am sure this issue has been discussed, but could some one please clarify, in lay-persons terms, how the AT&T Micro Cell tower works to amplify my iPhone's cell reception and also explain if this unit is safe (small children in house)

    Thank you for your guidance.
    You don't live in Sebstapol by any chance? For those that don't know, it's a small town just west of Santa Rosa in Sonoma County and about 70 miles from my location, anyway, I think there are more anti-radiation/cell phone signal/microwave/vaccinations/smart meter/etc/ people there per square foot than any place in the state, they seem to be in a race with Berzerkley to see who can be the most "way out there".

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    NW Arkansas
    Posts
    4,727
    Phones
    Nokia N900, Nokia E75, Nokia 5800XM
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Nokia N900
    Nokia N810, Nokia E71
    Carrier
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    0
    A cell tower doesn't broadcast more than 50-100 watts usually big boomer cells in rural areas sometimes use more. You might increase your long term risk of skin cancer by being nearby, but you'll notice the funny hot feeling before it becomes likely. This stuff is no different than light, other than its lower wavelength that you can't see because your eyes aren't adapted to it. It's the higher wavelengths in the ultraviolet, x-ray, and gamma ray range that you have to worry about.

    Seriously, all it does is heat up your skin. There's a small chance of DNA damage (which is lessened with decreasing energy and wavelength), but if you are exposed to UV light from tanning beds or the sun you're doing worse to yourself.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-25-2010, 04:59 AM
  2. GPS Safety Issues
    By Mo_ in forum BlackBerry
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-24-2009, 12:46 PM
  3. Wi-Fi Safety
    By mod_it in forum Apple
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-05-2009, 10:51 PM
  4. Safety of Nokia 8290
    By quacker1220 in forum Nokia
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-09-2001, 06:19 PM
  5. Cell Phone Safety
    By Veraburns in forum General Mobile Questions and Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-06-2001, 11:18 PM

Bookmarks