Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 125

Thread: TBay Tel

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Intercity Area
    Posts
    62
    Device(s)
    HTC 1x
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    0
    nothing yet.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    259
    Feedback Score
    0
    According to a post on tbaytel's facebook page, the launch is delayed until Nov 15. I haven't had the time to call and confirm this, but just like Aerosmith - I'm still "Livin' on the Edge."

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Intercity Area
    Posts
    62
    Device(s)
    HTC 1x
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    0
    Good One dude

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Intercity Area
    Posts
    62
    Device(s)
    HTC 1x
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    0
    I wonder if they will change their HUP policy to what Rogers has? I know its a real deal breaker for me and the kids. I know some people like to have their cell for 3 yr. But not us. I love being able to HUP every year based on revenue. But do I really want to spend $60 extra a month for a (705) area code for the upgrades? What do yall think? I mean I got us all hup before Nov 1st and added the 1000ld mins too just to make my plan that much better incase we keep our #'s. Oh the $60 extra is for the ld per line.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    36
    Feedback Score
    0
    I just got a new page going for my campaign to lower mobile prices in Thunder Bay. Help the cause by doing this now!
    Last edited by frail; 05-11-2011 at 09:57 AM.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Intercity Area
    Posts
    62
    Device(s)
    HTC 1x
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    0
    So my wife told me that they laid the foundation for a Cell Tower in Pay Plat by the water plant. Just thought Id share the gossip. BTW its to provide isp as well as cell coverage in the area. The first nation decided to contract that out rather then hire IT people for the isp.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1
    Feedback Score
    0
    Bell Mobility is putting up annennas on tbaytel towers in Thunder Bay. HSPA. Lost of choice and competition. I would assume they will request co-location in Dryden as well.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    36
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by old cell guy View Post
    Bell Mobility is putting up annennas on tbaytel towers in Thunder Bay. HSPA. Lost of choice and competition. I would assume they will request co-location in Dryden as well.
    Do you have a citation for that (proof, link or otherwise?). Exciting if true. I'm assuming coverage will be just Thunder Bay / Dryden and not really the corridor routes that Tbaytel is deploying. I'm also curious what the timeline will be and whether Telus is part of this. Maybe Solo mobile / Virgin will come to Tbay and bring their unlimited plans !?

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles/Canada
    Posts
    10,495
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6+, Google Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    From what is shown on Bell's web site, it looks like just Thunder Bay itself.
    Kenora area looks like it shows coverage - can't say about Dryden (would Bellus buy out DMTS?)
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    259
    Feedback Score
    0
    Bell only has licenses and bandwidth for TBay and Kenora (Bell Aliant). They are building 10 HSPA sites on tbaytel's existing towers. The same 10 towers that did not provide adequate coverage when tbaytel launched their 1.9pcs network back in 2002/2003.

    This will be the third time a company has attempted 1.9 in Thunder Bay. Rogers launched GSM in 2001 on 1.9, then quickly realized their error and overlayed with 850. Then the above mentioned Tbaytel failure. And lastly, Superior ran 1.9 on 10 sites with some success. Building penetration was abysmal in the Court Street area and there was next to no service in the east end.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    36
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by nwotraveler View Post
    Bell only has licenses and bandwidth for TBay and Kenora (Bell Aliant). They are building 10 HSPA sites on tbaytel's existing towers. The same 10 towers that did not provide adequate coverage when tbaytel launched their 1.9pcs network back in 2002/2003.

    This will be the third time a company has attempted 1.9 in Thunder Bay. Rogers launched GSM in 2001 on 1.9, then quickly realized their error and overlayed with 850. Then the above mentioned Tbaytel failure. And lastly, Superior ran 1.9 on 10 sites with some success. Building penetration was abysmal in the Court Street area and there was next to no service in the east end.
    Telus' website also indicates "future" HSPA+ coverage for Thunder Bay and gives the date "by Winter 2011", so this is a Bellus HSPA deployment

    How do we know the deployment is 1900 MHz? Doesn't Bellus have 850MHz spectrum in NW Ontario? It seems dumb to deploy 1900 MHz given the history of poor results.

    It's also worth noting that both Globalive and Shaw now own spectrum in Thunder Bay and at least one of them may be up and running by Dec 2011, which would bring even more competition than before.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles/Canada
    Posts
    10,495
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6+, Google Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Well, Rogers / TBaytel would have an 850MHz license.
    I suspect that would mean DMTS has the other.
    If Bellus wants 850MHz, then they'll have to buy out DMTS.
    I suspect that they'd be better off waiting for a firesale on DMTS.

    Taken from GSMWorld

    Dryden Mobility (DMTS Mobility)
    GSM 850
    Live

    Looks like the site is advertising for TBaytel 3G in Marathon (people walking carrying a' TBaytel 3G is coming' banner with the Marathon town limit sign in the background)
    TBayTel
    GSM 850/1900
    Planned

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    259
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket_driver View Post
    It's also worth noting that both Globalive and Shaw now own spectrum in Thunder Bay and at least one of them may be up and running by Dec 2011, which would bring even more competition than before.
    How is it competition when you build a few hand picked sites on an Island?

    Neither of these companies own spectrum in or out of the city and I highly doubt tbaytel is going to be offering roaming to Shaw customers anytime soon.

    As far as the spectrum use goes, I believe they have until Nov 2011 to be up and running or risk having Industry Canada take the spectrum back and auction it off again.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    259
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    Well, Rogers / TBaytel would have an 850MHz license.
    I suspect that would mean DMTS has the other.
    If Bellus wants 850MHz, then they'll have to buy out DMTS.
    I suspect that they'd be better off waiting for a firesale on DMTS.
    DMTS doesn't have a license or spectrum in Thunder Bay or Kenora.

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    36
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by nwotraveler View Post
    Neither of these companies own spectrum in or out of the city and I highly doubt tbaytel is going to be offering roaming to Shaw customers anytime soon.
    That is incorrect. Both Shaw and Globalive have AWS spectrum in Thunder Bay and NWO, as does Bragg Communications (Eastlink?, don't know) and all of the incumbents.

    Here's the link

    edit: I just noticed that Globalive even (aggressively) purchased the 'I' block, one that wasn't reserved for new entrants. They must have plans for NWO.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. When will Tbay wireless and Rogers Merge?
    By Dano89 in forum Rogers Wireless
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 09-02-2010, 08:58 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks