Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: TBay Tel

Feedback Score
    No one has brought this up yet... It's an accepted engineering practice in the cellular industry that you need twice as many 1.9 sites as you do 850 to cover the same area. If Bellus is only putting up 10 sites for 1.9 (on tbaytel's sticks), the same number tbay is running for 850 - won't tbaytel's coverage in the city also be better?

Maybe Bellus will offer a "half off, half the coverage sale." Would that make you happy SNC?

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+, Google Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Well, not quite twice as much in urban/suburban, but at least 50% more as a rule of thumb is typically what I see deployed here in the US (Sprint/T-Mobile vs. AT&T).
    Eg. In Valencia, AT&T has ~13 cell sites, while T-Mobile/Sprint have ~19. In that same note, having more sites increases capacity for reuse.

The more rural sites are where it really is needed (highway/ hilly terrain), as these sites are pushing the distance limits on 850MHz as it is. If this was Sask or Southern Manitoba rural areas, it wouldn't be as big of an issue. Areas between Kenora and Sault Ste. Marie have a lot of lake/tree/rock with many sites located at/near old Bell microwave relays (typically the highest point for many km) to cover the most distance for point to point.

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=4...83.03,,1,-8.73

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=4...83.96,,1,-8.73
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nwotraveler View Post
    No one has brought this up yet... It's an accepted engineering practice in the cellular industry that you need twice as many 1.9 sites as you do 850 to cover the same area. If Bellus is only putting up 10 sites for 1.9 (on tbaytel's sticks), the same number tbay is running for 850 - won't tbaytel's coverage in the city also be better?

Maybe Bellus will offer a "half off, half the coverage sale." Would that make you happy SNC?
    I think we all already know this and like you've said before the coverage will be similar to the old Superior wireless. I'm fully willing to try it if the need arises. I've used a 1900 MHz phone (euro Tri-band) around here before (on Rogers around 2004 I think). It was an N93 and it work fine. I'm already used to having a Thunder Bay-only coverage area because I'm a Rogers customer, so the Bell/Telus network's limited footprint isn't an issue.

While we're at it, why don't you just call me by my name instead of cryptic references to my old band? It doesn't include everyone on the forum when you do that. There aren't very many voices critical to Tbaytel right now so it's obviously me!

Device(s)
    HTC 1x
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Still nothing working in PA area for 3G. I never tried to conect to Telus 3G or Bell 3G though.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shane_fugere View Post
    Still nothing working in PA area for 3G. I never tried to conect to Telus 3G or Bell 3G though.
    Same here Shane, and the 7 other iPhone users I know as well. This morning I heard that Ericsson was actually the stalling party... apparently some unfixed issues still. But I'm not sure I buy that. They may be just rolling out very slowly.

Device(s)
    HTC 1x
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    I did see a Bell truck and others working on the County Fair tower all weekend. As for the Pays Plat tower.. My wife said that it is up now but still needs work to be completed. Did you see their FB page today?

Feedback Score
    Did you see their FB page today?
    Yep! It's a gong show! I'm sure we both saw it coming though

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket_driver View Post
    Yep! It's a gong show! I'm sure we both saw it coming though
    Because people like you make it into one, ye olde mountain out of a molehill gang.

I've waited years for Rogers to go 3G, so I can certainly be patient while tbaytel gets this turned up and working properly over the next couple of days.

Why did they boot you out of the band... attitude issues?

Feedback Score
    Because people like you make it into one, ye olde mountain out of a molehill gang.

I've waited years for Rogers to go 3G, so I can certainly be patient while tbaytel gets this turned up and working properly over the next couple of days.

Why did they boot you out of the band... attitude issues?
    We've all been waiting for 3G for years. It's the pricing that's the issue. And what are you talking about being booted out of the band? Stay on topic.

Feedback Score
    So you ended up sticking around in 807? Did you stay with all your lines or take some to 705? I'm still hoping they properly map my $5/1000 mins long distance this time. It wasn't transitioned properly on my letter in October and I use it all the time when we're on tour. I know they didn't transition the 6GB straight up though— 5GB only. Should be enough.

Feedback Score
    First day comments!

Right off the bat, the Tbaytel CSRs are excellent, especially at the Tbaytel store in the Thunder Centre. They're helpful and make a point of either answering questions without reservation or noting it and getting back to you. This is in stark contrast to Tbaytel's corporate communications, which are abysmal.

Call quality over 3G is dramatically better than on the GSM network yesterday and for the past several months. I wasn't expecting this, but it truly is better, and by a long shot.

I get at least one and often two fewer bars of signal on my iPhone today than I did yesterday.

We'll have until December 15 to cancel penalty free and walk away from our contracts, but cannot cancel until after receiving our first invoice.

Finally, they mapped my plan exactly (as far as I can tell), including the 1000 mins LD *EXCEPT* I've got 5GB data instead of 6GB. The CSR said she'd call me back by Thursday with an answer about the overage policy for people who have the 6GB Rogers plan.

Anyone else have first day comments?

Feedback Score
    Someone call 911, SNC is being nice. That's a stark contrast to the attitude you were showing on fb.

Now if other members of your family could find a little warmth in their heart...

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=logo#!/tbaytel

"Lisa Xxxxxxx monopolies don't need reps....or customer service, remember?"

or this one...

"Lisa Xxxxxxx that might take a while... I think they're still trying to figure out the switches over at the big 3G station!"

Not feeling a lot of love...

Feedback Score
    From the tbaytel fb page...

"TBayTel Update: Over 30 sites have been turned up now. Tomorrow we'll let you know where you can expect 3G coverage. Please continue to post your experiences, good or bad. This will help us quickly identify what is working properly and what issues need to be addressed. Thank you for your continued support!

Tbaytel"

There seems to be some texting and bbm issues at the moment. Must be sporadic, I was having some text issues earlier, but everything seems ok now.

Feedback Score
    Someone call 911, SNC is being nice. That's a stark contrast to the attitude you were showing on fb.

Now if other members of your family could find a little warmth in their heart...

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=logo#!/tbaytel

Not feeling a lot of love...
    You're quoting my family members to make a point about me? Why don't you quote ME if you have an issue with ME nwotraveler. I haven't said anything remotely inflammatory on this board EVER. And on facebook I've made my motivations very clear the entire time AND published my name the entire time instead of hiding behind a cloak of anonymity like you. Tbaytel charges too much for plans. You can disagree, but you're the one calling me names and arrogantly bantering about "credentials" when everything I've said, THE ENTIRE TIME, was about business plan. If you're unable to cite anything *I'VE* said, then go away. Dragging my family into an issue you have with me... who does that?

I'm done with this thread, and I'm continuing the discussion on the facebook page. nwotraveler you can have the last word since you had the first one by calling me a know-it-all and I'm a fan of symmetry.
    Last edited by frail; 05-11-2011 at 10:57 AM.

Feedback Score
    I love it. Let me recap this for you...

Your wife joined YOUR crusade when she chose to register on your fb page - http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/...16008185128157.

She then proceeded to comment on the HSPA turn up and how sucky tbaytel customer service was on tbaytel's fb page. She put herself out there, that was her choice.

Play me another Somebody Done Somebody Wrong song guitar man.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast