Thread: Extremely annoying problems with signal and texts....

Phone
    Motorola Atrix HD
    Carrier
    Bell
    Feedback Score

Extremely annoying problems with signal and texts....

During the past month, some very frustrating problems have occurred. My signal frequently goes from a strong signal (3 bars) to NO SIGNAL (911 only) and back again (while sitting in one place).
    This is unacceptable - I rely on the phone for work and with this frequent no signal crap, it's unreliable. Been with Telus since last May.

Also, my text messages now give me an error, can't be sent, at least a few times a day. I never even saw an error message until this month.

Anyone else having these problems? Not paying them all this money to get really bad service.

Phones
    iPhone 6
    iPhone 5s
    iPhone 4s
    Carrier
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8330/4.5.0.186 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/126)

What phone you using?
    - 3 Years Signed -
    Data: $30 6GB
    Voice: $30

Carrier
    telus
    Feedback Score
    I have also been experiencing the same problems for about two weeks now. I'm on pay as go; keybo-2

Feedback Score
    My Nexus one is having similar problems. I am unable to send text messages, but receiving works fine. My bars also fluctuate randomly. Calls seem to work fine, both incoming and outgoing, but internet hardly ever works and outgoing text messages never send. This has been happening since last Friday ... and no fix yet that i've seen.

Phone
    Motorola Atrix HD
    Carrier
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    I'm using the Milestone. I've been having problems with internet for months....had to turn on data to get Facebook & Twitter updates a good deal of time....even though I have wifi at home.

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy S3/SW USB AC319U aircard+cradlepoint router
    -> Samsung A540 -> Moto Razr V3C -> BB 7130e -> BB 8830 -> BB 9630 -> Galaxy S3
    Sony CM-B1207 Clearnet PCS -> Sanyo 4000 -> Nokia 6188 ->
    Carriers
    Telus Mobility/ "Tablet 5" + 2 "Share 30 Faves"
    Feedback Score
    Your holding it wrong.

Or not, hard to say. Tough to know if it's strictly a network problem, characteristic of your handset, or something environmental without some testing. If you had two different devices and they were both showing the same behaviour at the same time it might show a network or environmental condition. If one handset drops suddenly and the other does not it could just be that manufacturer chose a strange range of signal indicators that magnifies the apparent drop in signal strength.

Most technical people will tell you that the number of bars shown on the phone is nearly a completely useless measurement system since there are no standards for how that information is determined. Manufacturers have to use bars because showing users the actual signal strength numbers and noise ratio numbers would be completely confusing to everyone who used the phone. The only true numbers you can rely on though are the unbiased signal strength measurements given by some phones field test mode.

I have no idea how to get a good field test/service test mode screen on the Milestone for Telus. Perhaps there is some add on application for Android that can pull up the info for you. I have seen posts about Android apps that allow users to track their signal strength periodically along with the current GPS coordinate in order to make crowd sourced coverage maps. Those crowd sourced maps would be great if a significantly large number of users were running them frequently but unfortunately I have never seen any of those apps reach a critical mass of users to make the maps useful yet. It would probably take Google to add reporting of RSSI back to their servers in the google maps app to get anything with enough users. (Conspiracy theorists can probably imagine they are already sending that data along with the data they collect when they leave your microphone turned on listening to everything you say )

Anyhow find an app or the service test mode command for your phone and watch the actual signal numbers to see if anything alarming is happening or did the engineers simply exagerate the signal bar display so it looks like you have 3 or 4 bars even when you are close to have very low signal (like -105dB still showing 3 bars, -110 shows 2 bars, -115 shows 1 bar, -120 is zero)

Example of signal bars shown on a blackberry, what they mean, and how to get the real numbers:
    http://www.labnol.org/software/find-...trength/14128/

Now environment can sometimes have something to do with signal. If you are standing next to someone who is doing arc welding for example you may notice your signal is lost every time he fires the welder. Something like that creates a lot of radio noise that drowns out the network. Like trying to listen to a conversation in a crowded bar, when the external noise is too high even though you are shouting at each other at close distance you may still not understand the other person. The same thing can happen in a wireless network if there is external noise. Noise is one reason you usually find that you get much better reception in the middle of the night. Like at 4am, drive around the city and you can find areas where there were network holes that suddenly come in loud and clear.
    Clearnet Digital PCS

We think everyone should be able to afford a wireless phone. That's why we were the first wireless company in North America to offer pay-by-the-second airtime, and why we don't charge an activation fee. NO scary contract to sign. Immediate national coverage. And a 30-day satisfaction guarantee. Yes, it's finally time to get a wireless phone.
    f u t u r e . f r i e n d l y™

Best viewed with Netscape 3.0 at 800 x 600 resolution.

Carrier
    Bell LTE
    Feedback Score
    I've been getting similar problems, in my basement it will go from 4 bars to none on my Galaxy S.

It also won't send text messages even with 3+ bars sometimes.
    Current Devices:
    Nexus 4
    HTC Jetstream

Previous Phones:
    Treo 700wx > HTC Hero > iphone 3g (1 Week) > Moto Milestone > Palm Pre Plus > Galaxy S > Nexus 1 > Desire Z > Desire HD > Samsung Focus > Moto Atrix > Nexus S > Galaxy S2 > HTC Flyer > HTC Raider LTE > HTC EVO 3D > Galaxy Nexus > Galaxy S3 i9300 > Nexus 4 > Nexus 5 > Oneplus One

Phones
    iPhone 4
    iPhone 4
    Carrier
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    I have also been having the same problem this past 2 weeks. My iPhone 4 will have a good connection, when I am at home, then the next second, I get a message saying no Cell Signal can be found. This happens when I am holding the phone, or if it is sitting on the table. So I highly doubt it is my iPhone. It seems like just about everyday, that I am at home, my phone loses signal for about an hour. There is also one location on my bus route to and from work, where I lose my signal everyday. I only lose the signal for 30 seconds or so.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    one friend have switch this weekend in hspa with koodo same problem ... today go back to cdma !

Phone
    Blackberry Storm 9530
    Carrier
    Telus Mobility
    Feedback Score
    We have 2 Motorola Charms that are doing the same thing. Sometimes cannot call out, cannot receive calls, cannot send texts, cannot receive texts. It seems to only happen in lower coverage areas, but still 3-4 bars on the phone and I cannot call. Then every once in a while no service at all on 1 phone and 4 bars on the other. If we did not have a wireless booster in our house we would be in real trouble.