Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dealing with poor coverage at home?

Phones
    LG VM670 Optimus V (current)
    LG VM510 Rumor Touch
    Audiovox CDM-8915 Snapper
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score

Question Dealing with poor coverage at home?

Hey guys,

I use a Virgin Mobile Beyond Talk plan on my LG Rumor Touch, and I've just moved into an apartment with really, really bad signal. (I have good service anywhere else I go--very frustrating.) I know there are ways of dealing with poor coverage in a particular area, so I'd like to see whether you guys have any ideas.

My landlord doesn't want me climbing on the roof to see whether a cellular repeater would be feasible (let alone to set one up!), so that's out. I looked up the Sprint Airave as an alternative, and it's evidently not supposed to work with Virgin phones, even though they're, y'know, the same company ( ). However, Googling around, I saw one guy who claims to have a Virgin phone that's somehow been flashed to play nicely with the Airave. Has anyone heard of something like that? Or is it just wishful thinking on my part?

If the Airave or another femtocell (are there others for Sprint's network?) is out of the question, the only other thing I can think of is to get a VoIP service and have unanswered calls forward to it. That wouldn't help with texting, though, so another solution would be preferable to that.

Really, anything at all is better than what I know now. Please help a brotha out!

Thanks!

Phones
    White Galaxy S5 & White iPhone 6
    LG G-Flex, Nexus 4, Nexus 5
    Carrier
    T-Mobile & AT&T
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Who did you have before that got service at your house/what carriers do you know get service at your house? I would avoid anything that involved flashing the phone to "work with an Airave" sounds illegal and can't be discussed here.
    Last edited by ChristopherMcG; 09-19-2010 at 03:23 PM.
    Google+
    Happy T-Mobile Customer since '09
    Content AT&T Customer since '12

Phones
    LG VM510 Rumor Touch
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    I just moved here, so I don't know how all the different carriers are here yet. My roommate has Verizon and gets two bars or so. I'd switch providers if necessary, except that I can't find anything that's even close to being competitive with Virgin's $25/mo Beyond Talk plan. Of course, if someone could point out a plan that is, that'd be another thing to take into consideration...

And yeah, I figured flashing probably wouldn't be an allowable topic, but just in case there is a legal way to do it... eh. You're right, there probably isn't. Never mind about that, I guess. :P

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Same boat here I don't even get one bar at my rural area house, is there a booster you can buy?

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

VM does show coverage at my house on there coverage map.

Feedback Score
    Call virgin mobile and tell them you are about to purchase airave and they will send you compatible phones

other wise it blocks virgin phones.

Phones
    LG VM510 Rumor Touch
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gman34 View Post
    Call virgin mobile and tell them you are about to purchase airave and they will send you compatible phones

other wise it blocks virgin phones.
    I'll try that tomorrow (no service now... imagine that ) and let you all know how it goes. Thanks for the tip!

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score

Wonder if the zboost also would work for vm?
    I sent an email to VM support, said I should get a response w/i 24 hrs.
    I hope the Touch is able to be used w/ Airave (internet is mostly what I use the touch for).
    Last edited by bkallans; 09-20-2010 at 04:36 AM.

Phones
    LG VM510 Rumor Touch
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bkallans View Post

Wonder if the zboost also would work for vm?
    I sent an email to VM support, said I should get a response w/i 24 hrs.
    I hope the Touch is able to be used w/ Airave (internet is mostly what I use the touch for).
    My understanding is that, since zboost and other cellular repeaters take existing radio waves and simply amplify them, any repeater advertising that it works on Sprint's network will also work for Virgin phones. But in my case, this isn't very helpful, since nowhere in/around the apartment gets a strong enough signal for a repeater to amplify it...

Anyway, I called customer service, and they said to call back in two hours because their system is updating. Fail. I'll keep you guys posted with how it turns out.

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    You could always get a google voice account, which would send you texts as well.

Phones
    Motorola Triumph, LG Optimus V
    Motorola Triumph
    LG Optimus V
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Agreed. Sprint is Virgin-- down to the phones some of the time (e.g. Blackberry, Rumor Touch).

Phones
    LG VM510 Rumor Touch
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    I've talked to three different people at Virgin Mobile today who had no clue what I was talking about. I finally called Sprint support, and the guy there said it's impossible to use the Airave with Virgin because I need a Sprint account--apparently there's a monthly fee. This isn't matching up with what I've read online... could someone please confirm or deny?

As for Google Voice, I hadn't thought of that. I suppose it could work, but wouldn't it mean I'd need to tell everyone I've changed my number? Since Virgin can't/doesn't forward SMS, the forwarding would need to go the other way around: someone texts my Google number, Google Voice forwards it to my phone, and I read it on my computer or my phone depending on whether I have service. Is that what you mean, or am I misunderstanding?

If the information I've been given about the Airave is correct, it's looking like we're down to either Google Voice or MagicJack...

Feedback Score
    I have horrible coverage at home, except in my front window.
    I went to Radio Shack and bought the Siemens Gigaset One for $80. It connects to your cell through bluetooth, then connects to a regular land phone (phone line is not required) and the land phone works as a bluetooth handset.
    Not ideal, but it lets me leave my phone in one place, and make or receive calls all over the house. You can even set it so that your land phone rings with a text message.
    Not sure if that is an option for you or not.

Phones
    LG VM510 Rumor Touch
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by agapedad View Post
    I have horrible coverage at home, except in my front window.
    I went to Radio Shack and bought the Siemens Gigaset One for $80. It connects to your cell through bluetooth, then connects to a regular land phone (phone line is not required) and the land phone works as a bluetooth handset.
    Not ideal, but it lets me leave my phone in one place, and make or receive calls all over the house. You can even set it so that your land phone rings with a text message.
    Not sure if that is an option for you or not.
    Wow, that's an ingenious idea for a device. I wish I'd thought of it. Unfortunately for me, though, the best I get anywhere in the apartment is zero bars, even by the windows. It's barely enough for texting (usually works, but sometimes I get them hours later), but calls don't even ring...

It's looking as though the best option for me is to get a Skype number for $3/mo [edit: actually $4.89/mo] and have my cell's unanswered calls forward to it. I just happen to own a Nokia n810, which has a Skype app available for it, so that'd save me from having to lay down a wad of cash for a wi-fi phone. (I love that thing--handheld netbook, drawing pad, media player, and now home phone. )

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys! You're the best!
    Last edited by El Schisne; 09-23-2010 at 05:31 PM. Reason: corrected Skype price--the (thankfully small) hidden charges got me!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast