Thread: Possible to Port an existing number onto an activated Net10?

Feedback Score

Possible to Port an existing number onto an activated Net10?

I know it is far from the preferred way of handling a port. However, I have a postpaid line right now and I also have a Net10 plan. No one really uses my Net10 number currently and I have it setup through Google Voice.

My question would be, when my postpaid contract expires and I want to ditch postpaid, could I transfer the number, days and minutes off my current phone to a donor phone, get a new sim card from Net10, reactivate the original phone, porting my number from my postpaid plan? If I could I would then ideally transfer the minutes back from the donor phone to my real phone.

I know it is a way bigger pain in the *** than just activating a new phone, but I'd rather not have to buy another 401g

Carrier
    NET10/TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Yes, you can do what you describe, but it would be simpler if you just port the number directly from your postpaid line (BEFORE the contract expires) to your current NET10 phone. You will keep your existing minutes/days on your NET10 phone. Just call Miami CS and tell them what you want to do. They will send you a new SIM card, so you will be without service for a few days. If your postpaid carrier is the same as your NET10 carrier, then you should be ready to activate as soon as you get the new SIM. If the underlying carriers are different, it might take a few days longer.

Transferring your service to a "donor" phone only complicates the situation. Then again you might need to activate another phone just to have phone service while waiting on the SIM and the port.

If your postpaid phone goes inactive before you initiate the port, you may lose the number.

Feedback Score
    Thanks. When the time comes I will just port directly to the existing phone with a new sim, then. I have a tracfone that I can run in the meantime.

Carrier
    NET10/TracFone
    Feedback Score
    One other thing - when I referred to your "contract" with your postpaid phone, it didn't occur to me that you might still be in the period where you will pay a penalty if you terminate early. If that is the case, then you might want to wait until the end of the initial contract period, after you've gone into a month-to-month with no obligation on the postpaid phone.

So, instead of saying "Before the contract expires", I should have said "while the postpaid phone is still active". A subtle, but possibly expensive, distinction.

Feedback Score
    No, I gotcha on that. Like I said, I am under contract for a few more months. I just really don't use all the minutes I pay for and have minutes built up on my Net10 phone, so I figured I would switch my number to my Net10 phone when the contract is up until I figure out exactly what I want to do.

Thanks for your help.