Thread: How does the gophone work?

Feedback Score

How does the gophone work?

I am looking at getting an at&t gophone. Possibly the nokia 2320. This phone will be used to emergencies only. Can anyone explain how it works? It's for sale for about $39.99, and then I just have to buy minutes on cards correct? So there is no contract or monthly fees? And I just have to buy minutes whenever I need the minutes. Do the minutes expire? and do you know prices for the minutes? Thanks.

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy S Glide
    Samsung Galaxy Appeal
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
    Carrier
    AT&T Go Phone
    Feedback Score
    GoPhone is a no-contract service.

You buy prepaid cards, which can come as actual cards, PIN numbers on a sales receipts, or online purchases on AT&T's website.
    Minutes expire after a certain months. How long 'til your minutes expires? Thant depends on the cost of the prepaid card you last activated. A $10 card expires in 30 days. For a phone that will be used for emergencies I recommend (if you can afford it), you get the $100 card and your minutes won't expire in a year. If you use all of your minutes before then, or when the expiration date is getting close, you can extend your balance by buying another prepaid card.

Here is more info on the plan and card prices that should help you get started.
    http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-pho...questid=158584

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Remember that there are no actual minutes with GoPhone accounts. There is only an account balance in dollars. Those are general purpose funds and can be used to pay for any services offered with the GoPhone. If you use the funds for something other than talking, there would be fewer dollars available to pay for air time minutes.
    Earl F. Parrish

Phone
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    American Telephone & Telegraph Company
    Feedback Score
    If you use very little to no airtime and only want a true emergency phone, AT&T GoPhone may not be your best option, as it costs a minimum of $8.33/month. With Page Plus Cellular you can have an emergency line for as little as $2.50/month. Of course coverage is also a consideration and you didn't say which market you're in, but you may want to check out that comparison chart.

http://www.cellguru.net/prepaid_compare.htm

PRL Interpretations
    XFF's AlphaTag software
    Cellular and PCS License Maps
    Quote Originally Posted by gpatrick900
    I am a little confused. My Verizon phone was able to roam on GSM because they used TDMA. Tell it was shutdown. The phone recognizes it as Analog. If PCS has TDMA, It could be technically be used on GSM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabla View Post
    Y'know, I'm used to hysterical 14-year-old ******** on the internet, but this is exceptional. Never before in human history have so many nerds hyperventilated so publicly over so little.

Hop, Skip, and a Jump from Tijuana, Mexico
    Carriers
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Also, T-mobile To Go, is probably the cheapest option after the 1st year.

Just like ATT, it's $100 for 364 days (at 0.10/min) it will give you 1000min for the year. After that if you add a $10 card, it will extend for another year every 364 days.

So Year 1 would be $8.33/month. Every year after that could be as low as $0.83/month, as long as you don't run out of min.

You would have to find out about coverage in the areas you visit though.
    MOBILE HISTORY:
    * 2012: Samsung GS3, Nokia 2720
    * 2010: BB 8350i, Nokia 2720
    * 2009: Mot i9, BB7520
    * 2008: HTC Tilt, Mot i450
    * 2007: SE W810i, Samsung A707, HTC 8125, Samsung BlackJack
    * 2006: Mot L6, SE Z520, Nokia 6682
    * 2005: Kyo 7135, Sam i600, Mot V551, Nokia 6230, 6620, SE Z600
    * 2004: Motorola V300, SE T610, Kyo 6035, Nokia 3390
    * 2003: Motorola T720C
    * 2002: Audiovox CDM4000, 9000, 9155GPX, Thera

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CeluGeek View Post
    GoPhone is a no-contract service.

You buy prepaid cards, which can come as actual cards, PIN numbers on a sales receipts, or online purchases on AT&T's website.
    Minutes expire after a certain months. How long 'til your minutes expires? Thant depends on the cost of the prepaid card you last activated. A $10 card expires in 30 days.

So if i buy a $10 card, does it have to be activated right away or can it just be activated at the time I want to use the minutes? So that way it would be like $10 for every emergency unless they happened in 30 day or less...
    Last edited by XFF; 09-22-2010 at 01:46 AM.

Phone
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    American Telephone & Telegraph Company
    Feedback Score
    Activation is different from refill. If you don't keep your account current it will expire, any remaining balance will be forfeited, and the number may be re-assigned to another line.

Also, when you say emergency, are you talking about actual emergency calls or "urgent" calls? Because you can always make a free emergency call from any device, whether it is activated or not.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by XFF View Post
    Activation is different from refill. If you don't keep your account current it will expire, any remaining balance will be forfeited, and the number may be re-assigned to another line.

Also, when you say emergency, are you talking about actual emergency calls or "urgent" calls? Because you can always make a free emergency call from any device, whether it is activated or not.
    i meant emergency like as in car broke down or need to call someone for some reason or another. see i have a family plan that i pay like $15 a month for the third line, but the line never gets used, and the phone my dad uses for it is a razr and the battery doesnt keep a charge anymore, so i need to get a new phone, and i dont really wanna sign a 2 year contract, so i was trying to see if i could save money by getting a prepaid phone but it doesnt sound like it.

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Since your father already has a line on your FamilyTalk plan, all he needs is another telephone. You can look for the cheapest GoPhone kit and put his SIM card into the phone without activating the SIM card included in the kit. He thus has a replacement phone without requiring an upgrade.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by efparri View Post
    Since your father already has a line on your FamilyTalk plan, all he needs is another telephone. You can look for the cheapest GoPhone kit and put his SIM card into the phone without activating the SIM card included in the kit. He thus has a replacement phone without requiring an upgrade.

So what you are saying is that it's possible to use a gophone phone as a regular phone just be replacing the SIM card? So that way I can pay about $40 for the nokia 2320, and just replace the SIM card and then I can keep the upgrade for one of my other 2 lines to upgrade to the next iphone.

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    That's right. Make sure that you do not activate the SIM card included with the phone. Just use the phone.

Feedback Score
    ok thanks a lot! I will just buy the 2320 and use the old sim card. You saved me an upgrade, that you very much!

Phones
    :: Samsung Galaxy S2 :: Alcatel One Touch Fierce :: Nokia Lumia 710 ::
    :: Samsung Galaxy S2 ::
    :: Alcaltel OneTouch Fierce ::
    Carrier
    ::T~Mobile 2 Go :: Lycamobile :: PTel ::
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bigworm2004 View Post
    ok thanks a lot! I will just buy the 2320 and use the old sim card. You saved me an upgrade, that you very much!
    But don't toss that SIM and activation kit, you might need it someday or you can sell it.
    Very Happy With T~Mobile and Lycamobile

Carriers
    ATT Gophone
    Net 10
    Feedback Score
    As far as I know the cheapest card for Gophone is $15 and expires in 30 days. You don't want to add the card before you need it because the expiration date is 30 days counting from the day you add it.
    A better deal is the $25 card good for 90 days. You can add 4 of those and it's the same as the $100 card for a year, but then if your phone gets lost/stolen or breaks or you decide gophone doesn't work for you, you're not out $100.
    Another thing: they might deduct a 911 fee from your balance every month, depending on your state.

In your case it's great if you can get an inexpensive gophone and use it on your existing line.