Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Thread: Motorola DROID X update to Android 2.2 (Froyo) Build 2.3.15

Device(s)
    DROID X
    Carrier(s)
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    so far so good..i see that handcent no longer organized my incoming texts by when i received them, which is driving me nuts, i have messages from noon time that list first over messages recently like from 4:30pm. i hope handcent updates this...

I have also noticed that on ALOT of websites, or certain videos in youtube, i have an HDMI icon on the top left of my screen that allows me to watch these certain videos on my bigscreen instead of just material i have recorded or placed on my phone, which is a HUGE plus.

I find the unlock screen to be much more sluggish then the original, and i do not like the black rectangles over the green oval shaped unlock slides.

I also though the screen looked more richer and also thought it was just me. I have also noticed fluctuating readings from my task killer...one second i can kill 20 apps for 36mbs freed, and a few seconds later it will kill 2 apps and give me 165mbs free.

i have noticed an increase in volume which is sweet, but feel a DECREASE in vibrate. Also they decreased the vibrate when you touch keys when typing severly and i do not like this one bit. I also notice a HUGE lag in the keyboard, and maybe a bit more sensitive. I see that i sometimes fight between hitting Y or T now and space doesnt always space.

My phone calls screen seems to lag when coming out, my ringtone will sound, the blue led will flash and maybe 4-5 second after the ringtone the screen will show whos calling with my answer/ignore keys

I have my pattern lock set to 20 minutes so i dont have to deal with both all the time like some poeple were complaining of issues with.

I like the new gallery, just last night i was having issues for the first time where my galler wouldnt let me scroll to the end, and would shoot me back to the main gallery when i came close to getting to my last few rows of pics. But i dont like how when i use the camera now it automatically shows me the last picture taken in the bottom left no matter when it was taken. I liked it when it would show you your last picture you JUST took. But its showing me the last picture that someone SENT me from THEIR phone that i saved in my gallery. but then again could be a setting that might of been reverted back to factory after teh update. Just like all my ringtones and notifications randomly changed themselves.

My app draw seems more sluggish and so does the notification bar on top. I did reboot 2 times so maybe i just need to do it a few more to let it settle in.

I also noticed programs like dolphin browser and such reverted back to stock. And i missed how when you clicked on a contacts picture in handcent it would take me to contact info OR their desktop fb site...now it just seems to load a mobile fb site when i click on the globe which sucks.

Just things ive noticed..sorry its so long..figured id mention EVERYTHING i noticed in hopes that someone else sees them as well

Device(s)
    TBolt, DroidX, Incredible, Droid1, Omnia II, HTC Imagio, BB Tour, BB Storm,Touch,Dare,Voyager
    Carrier(s)
    VZW - Headsets:
    Feedback Score
    Try turning off screen animations and see if you like the snappier lock screen/notification bar or would rather have the animations.

Froyo is better at handling the running process better - I'd refrain from using a task killer except for if there is an issue and you have to kill something.

Device(s)
    S8, G5, Samsung Note 4 DE, Note 3, Moto DROID Bionic, DROID RAZR, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, V9m, VX8000
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T PrePaid (GoPhone)
    Feedback Score
    Here are four bugs that I've experienced in the new 2.2 update.

1) A few times when attempting to launch the Camera or Camcorder app by clicking on
    their icons, the program will start to load for a second and then exit for no reason.
    I did restart the phone a few times, but it has happened since then as well and I can't figure out why.
    This occurs about 25-30% of the time and there is no error message given.
    I never had the Camera/Camcorder program close like this when using Android 2.1.

2) After taking a picture with the Flash (set to ON or AUTO), the next picture will not light-up the flash when pressing the camera button.
    You have to press the button again for the flash to then come back on. This happens 100% of the time now, but was
    working fine under Android 2.1.

3) Going into Settings/Wireless & Networks/Wi-Fi Settings, click on the bottom Menu button, then Advanced, and then on "Peer to peer (Ad-hoc) channel".
    It will cause a Force Close with the error message saying "process com.android.settings has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.'. This always happens 100% of the time after the Android 2.2 update.
    Before with Android 2.1 you were able to select your Wi-Fi channel in there from 1 to 11.

4) Going into Settings/Battery Manger and clicking on the large battery icon on the upper-right corner, it gives the error message "process com.android.settings has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.'. This error happens about 80% of the time, the other 20% it will open up the Battery Meter Graph.

If anyone has access to the update.zip file, I'd be willing to see if I can run it and 're-update' my phone to see if that solves any problems (maybe my OTA upgrade didn't take well).
    Last edited by FAUguy; 09-22-2010 at 07:51 PM.
    =>Why did I leave Verizon Wireless after 18 years? Find out here: Leaving Verizon after 18 years!

=> Read my reviews for the Motorola DROID MAXX, DROID Ultra, and DROID Mini.

=> VX8000 at Disney World:Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4.

Device(s)
    Droid X
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Anyone notice their battery life being better? I downloaded the update last night. Seems the battery level as been much higher today.

Also, the videos loading in the webpage is awesome!

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    This has probably been discussed somewhere...but I don't know where...

Is there any difference between this 2.2 and the 2.2 that was leaked a month ago? I'm running 2.2 kernel 2.6.32.9 system 2.3.9. When I manually upgraded to this version a month ago I was able to maintain root no problem, so if this version is basically the same, I don't want to ruin what I have going on...anyone know? I can't pull it OTA anyway so I'd need to wait for an update.zip (if it ever turns up) but just wanted to inquire...

Thanks.

Device(s)
    env 3
    Carrier(s)
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    ok i no this has probly been covered but once the one touch root is availible for 2.2 will i be able to remove all the bloat ware thats on here ?? the reason i ask is because now i see the option to remove these programs after the update but of course it wont let me .

Device(s)
    TBolt, DroidX, Incredible, Droid1, Omnia II, HTC Imagio, BB Tour, BB Storm,Touch,Dare,Voyager
    Carrier(s)
    VZW - Headsets:
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chevyman29 View Post
    ok i no this has probly been covered but once the one touch root is availible for 2.2 will i be able to remove all the bloat ware thats on here ?? the reason i ask is because now i see the option to remove these programs after the update but of course it wont let me .
    The bloatware doesn't do much of anything nor have any noticeable effect on anything, and I still believe it is the weakest reason for rooting. If you use LauncherPro for your Home/launcher, then you can select the apps you want to remove from the app drawer. That might be a good alternative.

I'm not really in the majority on the bloatware removing issue though.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 plus, Google Nexus 6p, Blackberry Passport
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile, Google Fi, Vivo Brasil
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kierydon View Post
    Yeah, just did a google search, looks like touchdown or rooting are about my only choices, this is seriously stupid.
    Rooting in and of itself doesn't fix it. Spent half an hour to root, which was eventually successful.

OK... Then what? Not sure if my next step is

su /path/to/settings.apk

???

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    env 3
    Carrier(s)
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    well i use launcher pro and its great but it just bugs the crap outta me seeing those other apps that are running that i will never use.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    VZW - Headsets:
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chevyman29 View Post
    well i use launcher pro and its great but it just bugs the crap outta me seeing those other apps that are running that i will never use.
    Then don't look at that screen!
    Froyo does a good job with managing memory and resources. They may get initialized, but they're not doing anything and Android will kill them if it thinks it needs or may need the memory.

EDIT: also, it seems that the bloatware might be wasting more of your resources than the phone's resources.

Device(s)
    Moto Droid X
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Major problem with the music player. Music player starts fine but then if while in there you tip the screen sideways, and try to revert back it shows up the right way but its all messed up and locks up and wont let you stop the music for about a minute and it will unfreeze after you go to home screen. Some one else try it.

Device(s)
    Droid X
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    One thing I've noticed after the update is that the Application Tray doesn't remember where it was and always resets to the starting position. Bit of a nuisance.

Device(s)
    env 3
    Carrier(s)
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    my music player works fine

Device(s)
    Blackberry Storm
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I'm having issues with the moto date/time widget. It was starting to run slow, time would not match that in the upper corner of the screen. Then, if i clicked a few times, trying to get some settings to pop up, it would freeze the screen. I could power off, then on, but when it came on, it would freeze on moto logo. I could hear buttons working, so the phone was fully booted, but it wouldn't leave the moto screen. Had to battery pull. Happened twice. I removed the date/time widget and it seems ok now.

Good news, app drawer is much faster. After I use task killer, the phone home screen doesn't have to reboot everything.

Internet seems faster, flash looks great. Like the HDMI icon too as someone said.

New keyboard functions, such as the comma not being pressed period twice, but instead auto displaying above the keyboard. The cursor selector area is now like the blackberry storm, when you click, it makes a larger bubble so you can see where you are selecting easily.

No difference in battery life for me yet though.

Device(s)
    Droid Razr Maxx, iPhone 4s
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon|AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FAUguy View Post
    Here are four bugs that I've experienced in the new 2.2 update.

1) A few times when attempting to launch the Camera or Camcorder app by clicking on
    their icons, the program will start to load for a second and then exit for no reason.
    I did restart the phone a few times, but it has happened since then as well and I can't figure out why.
    This occurs about 25-30% of the time and there is no error message given.
    I never had the Camera/Camcorder program close like this when using Android 2.1.

2) After taking a picture with the Flash (set to ON or AUTO), the next picture will not light-up the flash when pressing the camera button.
    You have to press the button again for the flash to then come back on. This happens 100% of the time now, but was
    working fine under Android 2.1.

3) Going into Settings/Wireless & Networks/Wi-Fi Settings, click on the bottom Menu button, then Advanced, and then on "Peer to peer (Ad-hoc) channel".
    It will cause a Force Close with the error message saying "process com.android.settings has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.'. This always happens 100% of the time after the Android 2.2 update.
    Before with Android 2.1 you were able to select your Wi-Fi channel in there from 1 to 11.

4) Going into Settings/Battery Manger and clicking on the large battery icon on the upper-right corner, it gives the error message "process com.android.settings has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.'. This error happens about 80% of the time, the other 20% it will open up the Battery Meter Graph.
    I have noticed numbers 3 and 4 after the update, I've tried to replicate 1 and 2 without success.

Everything else seems to be working fine for me so far and I finally got around to re-rooting mine tonight, so things are even better now.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast