Thread: difference between buying phone from target/best buy compared to verizon

Phones
    LG enV3
    LG enV
    LG 8100
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

difference between buying phone from target/best buy compared to verizon

I am part of a family plan where I am the primary line. I noticed the phones are much cheaper at stores like best buy and target compared to verizon. What is the difference between buying these phones at stores compared to verizon?

Feedback Score
    Service. Also they don't let you redeam your new every 2 credit. You purchase it for the upgrade price they have listed. Sometimes its higher sometimes its lower weigh your options but if its the same price give the commission to a sales Rep at the vzw store, as quota is what keeps their job

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Phones
    N/A
    Pantech Jest
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Don't know specifically about Target or Best Buy, but a lot of the discounters make you sign an additional contract with them. Typically you can't deactivate the phone or swap it to another line for 6 months. That is because they get a kickback from Verizon for every month you keep the data plan active. If you buy direct from Verizon there is no such restriction, only the ETF for canceling the line entirely.

Phones
    LG enV3
    LG enV
    LG 8100
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    http://www.targetmobilestore.com/eCo...927ab638b92bc9

Target.com has a deal for a droid 2 for $49.99. I am the primary line and I am eligible for an upgrade. It just seems fishy but I dont mind about the not swapping a phone for 6 months and I am already forfeiting my NE2 upgrade (only $50 now) because I can upgrade to a new phone after one year. $49 compared to $199 for a new droid 2 sounds a lot better to me. I was going to get the droid x but would rather save $150 and get a droid 2. Any suggestions??

Phones
    Samsung Fascinate
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Do those third party retailers honor annual upgrades?

Phone
    iPhone 4S
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PJnc284 View Post
    Do those third party retailers honor annual upgrades?
    Nope. Has to be an exclusive VZW dealer or COR store.

Phones
    LG enV3
    LG enV
    LG 8100
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by iFLAUNT 3G(S) View Post
    Nope. Has to be an exclusive VZW dealer or COR store.
    I talked with someone from best buy mobile on the phone and they said that it depends. Some stores will honor the annual upgrades and some won't . So I guess I'm going to call around to the stores near me and find out. Best Buy is offering free phone fridays in October. The first free phone is the Samsung Fascinate. If its possible to do an annual upgrade I'm going to wait out for a Droid X hopefully.

Phones
    N/A
    Droid 2 Global
    LG VX9800 "The V" (backup)
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    As HF305 says, the one big difference is you'll have a SEPERATE contract with best buy/target/etc., and the store will charge you an ETF if you do not keep the phone on your line for like 6 months. If they require you to have a data plan or something on then you have to keep it on for usually 6 months, whether Verizon requires it or not -- this is between you and the store, not you and Verizon. As long as you don't churn through phones, I think you'll have no problem.

Carriers
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    With Best Buy, if you don't cancel within the 1st 30 days and don't return the device in the same period, they will charge (or bill) you their bogus retail price.

Also, if you have any issues with the device within the 30 days, you have to go to the 3rd party for help and NOT Verizon

Phones
    Galaxy Nexus
    Stratosphere 2 (wife)
    IPhone 5 (daughter)
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by quint101 View Post
    With Best Buy, if you don't cancel within the 1st 30 days and don't return the device in the same period, they will charge (or bill) you their bogus retail price.
    What??

I've bought 2 phones thru Best Buy with no issues at all, both were like $50 at Verizon but free thru Best Buy. No additional charges, no hidden fees, and still the same 30 day return/exchange policy as Verizon.

Steve

Carriers
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I am just saying that AFTER the 30 days... I am in a pickle where the 30 day window is closing. I need to cancel the service and the phone may not arrive to me by then...

I also bought phones from Best Buy without any issues...

Feedback Score
    Signing another contract with a 3rd party retailer is not true, i have done 3 upgrades through best buy mobile and the only difference between them and the verizon store down the street from me is best buy has cheaper phones and better service. I originally bought my phones from a commissioned sales person at verizon and was pushed into buying all these different features. Shop around to get the best price. Also 3rd party retailers dont deal with mail in rebates.