Thread: Getting out of contract without paying ETF

Feedback Score

Getting out of contract without paying ETF

Hi,
    my current company will give me an iphone and pay for my At&t bill. The only problem is that I am currently on Verizon and have renewed back in May.

I notice that Verizon has increased the charges for California PUC fee in the last month bill. . Verizon has stated that that California PUC charge is a Verizon charge and not governmental. I believe that gives ground to cancel contract without paying ETF.

Do you agree?

Let's say I am successful in canceling my contract, would I still be able to port my number to AT&T right away? Because I don't want to be without my phone for an extended period of time.

I appreciate your input.
    Thanks

Phones
    N/A
    Droid 2 Global
    LG VX9800 "The V" (backup)
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    I seriously doubt you can cancel without ETF over a PUC charge -- people got out of contract without ETF before when Verizon increased the pay-per-use fees for texts, but ONLY if they had actually texted. This is different though, Verizon decided on their own to increase the texting fee, while the PUC fee is just them passing on increased fees the PUC is charging Verizon.
    Let's say I am successful in canceling my contract, would I still be able to port my number to AT&T right away?
    Nope, if you cancel your number is gone. What you would have to do is, persuade somebody at Verizon you should be able to get out without ETF, have them put a note on your account to that effect, then port out, and finally call Verizon back and have them take the ETF off your final bill per the account note. (This is less risky then porting out THEN trying to persuade someone to cancel the ETF since you already have a note saying it can be done ahead of time.) But again I doubt you'll persuade anyone to let you out to begin with.

Feedback Score
    CALL and bring the issue up with them!!!

Feedback Score
    So, here is what was initially thinking and I called verizon about it, and they said I would still have to pay ETF.

My fiance's contract with Verizon is up, she didn't renew. I proposed that they let me port my number out, and I would move my fiance in, that would they would profit from locking someone for another 18 months, plus I would give her my droid, what would make the bill increase by $20. The would be locking her for a total of about $1800.

But they said I can't do that. They are stupid, since what would happen is that I would pay $300 ETF and both of us will leave verizon. They didn't do the math.

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; DROID2 Build/VZW) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1 480X854 motorola DROID2)

Why is she leaving because they're holding up their end of the contract?

Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by skuba View Post
    But they said I can't do that. They are stupid, since what would happen is that I would pay $300 ETF and both of us will leave verizon. They didn't do the math.
    Sometimes they would rather cut bait then try to keep a customer. Is it wrong for them to expect you to live up to your contractual obligations and collect an ETF if you break it. Contracts are tied to each individual phone # and are non-transferable. This is not a new policy to single you or anyone out and is clearly stipulated in your contract.

BTW: If you can get a friend or family member to do an assumption of liability by taking over your mobile #, there would be no ETF or additional expense for you to be concerned about.
    If I'm annoyed and you're annoyed, does that make us a paranoid ??

Sarcasm is a fine art...

"Don't believe everything you think"

It's not a matter of if you win or lose, it's how you assign the blame

Phones
    Motorola Droid X (current), Motorola Driod A855 (2009-2011), Blackberry Storm 9530 (2008-2009)
    SMT-5800 (2008), LG-VX9900 enV (2006-2008)
    LG-VX9800 "V" (2006), Motorola T730 (2004-2006)
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless since 1997 (PrimeCo)
    Feedback Score
    So, here is what was initially thinking and I called verizon about it, and they said I would still have to pay ETF.

My fiance's contract with Verizon is up, she didn't renew. I proposed that they let me port my number out, and I would move my fiance in, that would they would profit from locking someone for another 18 months, plus I would give her my droid, what would make the bill increase by $20. The would be locking her for a total of about $1800.

By "can't" do that they mean they seriously CAN'T do that, as in there is nothing in their system that allows them to transfer contracts. It's not because they don't "want" to.

Since your current employer is generous enough to pay for your AT&T service, the savings you get should be more than enough to cover VZW's ETF within a few months. Then sell that phone you had with VZW. Win/win.

Feedback Score
    They say they can't. The guy even told me to switch my number with my fiance. And port her number to At&t. I mean in the end they stay with 1 account locked for 18 months, it sucks they can't just change the number. I don't understand, why couldn't I put her number in my account, and then I get out of it. It's still 1 person under agreement. Right now there is nothing holding her to verizon. It's more likely that if I go to At&t and pay ETF, she will also go, so we can benefit from mobile to mobile calling. They get $300 and loose 2 customers.

Phones
    Motorola Droid X (current), Motorola Driod A855 (2009-2011), Blackberry Storm 9530 (2008-2009)
    SMT-5800 (2008), LG-VX9900 enV (2006-2008)
    LG-VX9800 "V" (2006), Motorola T730 (2004-2006)
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless since 1997 (PrimeCo)
    Feedback Score
    What part of "THE CONTRACT IS BASED OFF THE MOBILE TELEPHONE # AND IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO TRANSFER CONTRACTS FROM ONE NUMBER TO ANOTHER" don't you understand?

You are asking something which is absolutely impossible for VZW to do for you, even if they wanted to.

Feedback Score
    There are ways around it. For example: Waive my ETF under the condition that I sign a new 2 year contract for the other number.
    There you go. I am free to port my number and in exchange they lock my other number for 2 years.

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; DROID2 Build/VZW) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1 480X854 motorola DROID2)

Quote Originally Posted by skuba
    They say they can't. The guy even told me to switch my number with my fiance. And port her number to At&t. I mean in the end they stay with 1 account locked for 18 months, it sucks they can't just change the number. I don't understand, why couldn't I put her number in my account, and then I get out of it. It's still 1 person under agreement. Right now there is nothing holding her to verizon. It's more likely that if I go to At&t and pay ETF, she will also go, so we can benefit from mobile to mobile calling. They get $300 and loose 2 customers.
    You should both leave. For every one they lose, they gain five. Your $300 ain't nothing. You're more of a headache than it's worth.

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    There are ways around it. For example: Waive my ETF under the condition that I sign a new 2 year contract for the other number.
    There you go. I am free to port my number and in exchange they lock my other number for 2 years.
    Doesn't work that way. Contracts follow the number and there's no way around it. Even if they could, who's to say you won't try to screw them again later? If you want your current number that bad, you'll have to cough up that etf. That's the bottom line.

DroidDoes

Phone
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    American Telephone & Telegraph Company
    Feedback Score
    What's wrong with selling your subsidized handset and using the proceeds to cover the ETF? After all that's what you agreed to do, repay the subsidy one way or another. Or do you want to eat your cake and have it too?

PRL Interpretations
    XFF's AlphaTag software
    Cellular and PCS License Maps
    Quote Originally Posted by gpatrick900
    I am a little confused. My Verizon phone was able to roam on GSM because they used TDMA. Tell it was shutdown. The phone recognizes it as Analog. If PCS has TDMA, It could be technically be used on GSM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabla View Post
    Y'know, I'm used to hysterical 14-year-old ******** on the internet, but this is exceptional. Never before in human history have so many nerds hyperventilated so publicly over so little.

Feedback Score
    If you get a smart enough rep it could be possible. They could cancel her account effective immediately and reserve the mobile number. They could then do a number change on your line to the reserved number. This would terminate the line that is out of contract but allow her to keep her number. Probably going to be hard to get it done though.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Phones
    A phone
    with buttons
    'n stuff
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    You're not on Let's make a deal and this isn't a street market. Trying to barter your way out of the contact is just wasting your time and the rep's time.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk