Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How Does Telus Calculate Bills For Plan Changes?!?

Phones
    Samsung Focus S
    HTC Touch Pro 2 (Super POS!) [Retired]
    HTC Touch Pro (****in POS!) [Retired]
    Carrier
    Telus Mobility
    Feedback Score

How Does Telus Calculate Bills For Plan Changes?!?

So I was thinking of getting a new phone on the HSPA network and leaving CDMA in the dust. In order to do that I needed a plan that was compatible on that network. So I negotiated a new plan and was going to get a new phone but have since changed my mind for other reasons but was happy to stick with the new plan knowing I could change over when I wanted and I didn't have to sign a new contract to get it.

So I got this new bill and have no idea WTF Telus did to calculate this. My last 12 monthly bills have all been $68-$70 and I've never once been charged for overages.

Does anyone have an advanced math degree that can explain how they calculate bills if you switch your rate plan?

I believe my last plan was on the 28th of the month and this was started on September 2nd.

[The equipment exchange fee is for when I sent my TP2 away to get the screen fixed and all they did was reload the f'ing ROM, I'll do another post on that]

Monthly Service Plans $98.25

Sweet Deal 25 - 6pm Night&Wkd : 02-Sep-2010 to 28-Sep-2010 -15.75
    Voice & Data 60 - Unltd Msg 60.00
    Voice & Data 60 - Unltd Msg : 02-Sep-2010 to 28-Sep-2010 54.00

Total $98.25

Additional Local Airtime $54.00

Phone (minutes) 54.00

Total $54.00

Value Added Services -$9.00

1 GB included data 0.00
    150 Bonus Minutes 0.00
    5GB BONUS Data 0.00
    5pm early nights & wkds 2.00
    6pm Local Nights & Weekends 0.00
    Corp - National Calling 15 15.00
    FIM $15 - Free 3 yrs 0.00
    Personal Email, IM & Web 30 -26.00
    PKG12 $12 - Free 3 yrs 0.00
    Unlimited Messaging 0.00

Total -$9.00

Other Charges and Credits -$8.75

Equipment Exchange 25.00
    Equipment Exchange-CR -25.00
    Loyalty Bonus -8.75
    Rate Plan Change 10.00
    Rate Plan Change-CR -10.00

Total -$8.75

Other Fees -$6.67

Enhanced 911 Access Charge -0.65
    System Access Fee -6.02

Total -$6.67
    Taxes
    GST/HST 10.44
    Total Taxes $10.44
    Total Current Charges $138.27
    6 Year Client, Plan Negotiated October 2011:
    +$35 - Unlimited Voice 35 (Unlimited local calling)
    +$30 - Promo 6GB Data Add-on
    +$15 - Corporate National Calling 15 (Unlimited North American long distance)
    +Free- Package 15 (Caller ID, Unlimited text & picture messaging, Voicemail 10)
    = $80

Phone
    Nexus S
    Carrier
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    You don't need an advanced math degree. It's simple proration.

Your old plan was $17.50
    Your new plan is $60

There's a big difference between the two.

Last month you paid a month in advance for your Sweet Deal plan. You paid $17.50 to cover all of September, yet a few days into September, you bumped up your plan with the change of phone. This means your next bill (this one) is adjusted with proration.

$15.75 is the money given back to you for your old plan from Sept 2 to Sept 28

$17.50 / 30 days = $0.5583/day
    $0.5583/day x 27 days = $15.75

$54 is the money charged to you for the new plan for those same 27 days

$60 / 30 days = $2/day
    $2 x 27 days = $54

and the other $60 is the month in advance, as you're always paying one month in advance.

Phones
    Samsung Focus S
    Carrier
    Telus Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Ok, I can kinda see it now, thanks.

I don't get why I'm being charged $54 in overages for extra minutes though, I'm gonna have to call in about that for sure.

Phone
    Nexus S
    Carrier
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    That is again proration.

If you make a change, your minutes are divided.

Think of it like this, using a made-up example:

You have 150 min on your old plan and 200 min on your new plan

Your billing cycle (for simplicity) is from the 1st to the 30th.

You make the change to the new plan on the 5th.

That means...

From the 1st to the 5th is 5 days
    150 min old plan (divided by) 30 days = 5 minutes per day
    5 min x 5 days = 25 prorated minutes

From the 6th to the 30th is 25 days
    200 min new plan (divided by) 30 days = 6.6666 minutes per day
    6.66 x 25 days = 166 prorated minutes

You likely used more than the prorated minutes you get, whether it was the prorated amount on your old plan, or the prorated amount on your new plan.

Phones
    Samsung Focus S
    Carrier
    Telus Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Well my old plan had 300 and my new plan has 350 so on either plan I have more than enough minutes. I'm gonna call in and have them remove that charge.

Phones
    Blackberry Torch
    iPhone 5 16gb
    iPhone 4S 32gb
    Carriers
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry Tour 9630: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9800; en) AppleWebKit/534.1+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.246 Mobile Safari/534.1+)

Quote Originally Posted by BfA
    Well my old plan had 300 and my new plan has 350 so on either plan I have more than enough minutes. I'm gonna call in and have them remove that charge.
    I'm not 100% sure (and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it works the following way.

So like other poster laid out, you get a prorated amount of minutes for the original plan and the new plan. However, I believe they split the billing according to when you changed the plan. So, if you had 30 mins available for the first 5 days of the billing period but made 60 mins worth of calls, you would actually get billed for 30 mins of overages. This would be despite the fact that over the entire billing period, you used less than the 300 mins that the two plans combined that are included for free.

So my guess is that you made a disportionate amount of your calls in the first 5 days of your billing period.

My New Rogers Plan
    - $35 Unlimited Local Calling Plan
    - $30 6GB Data
    - $10 Retention Value Pack - Free (2500 texts, CID, VM)
    - 100 mins LD - Free
    - $67 + tax

Bite me Telus.

Carrier
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joop88 View Post
    So my guess is that you made a disportionate amount of your calls in the first 5 days of your billing period.
    Correct. That's the way prorata works.

Phone
    iPhone 3GS, Samsung Galaxy S Facinate, HTC 7 Surround, LG Optimus 7
    Carrier
    Telus Mobility
    Feedback Score
    For more information on how Telus calculates your bill when you make rate plan changes:
    http://www.telusmobility.com/en/ON/B...gchanges.shtml

Phone
    Nexus S
    Carrier
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    I explained that in my post. I just used an example of 5 days into the cycle because it represents an easy to understand lopsided scenario, in which that (fake example customer) would only have a very minimal 25 minutes to use in their first 5 days, and I added "you likely used more than the prorated minutes you get."

Calling in to complain about that is probably common, but it's also complaining about legitimate charges.

Carriers
    Telusmobility
    Feedback Score
    If you look at your bill, with the numbers you gave us, here's why:

You had your old plan for 26 days. In that 26 days, you used 216 minutes overage approximately for the $54 they charged you (@ $0.25/min). When your sweet deal 25 only has 200 minutes (max. Normally it's 100 but we'll assume you have the 100 min bonus).

So: (200 / 30) * 26 = ~173minutes

You have now used 389 minutes in the first 26 days. I'm sorry, but even if you were on the normal plan, you would have gone over if you used that on your old plan, and also even if you were on the Voice and Data $65 which has 200 minutes.

So no, if you call in, and say that you shouldn't have to pay it, yes you should. You used your phone more than your allotted amount even if you were on your new plan, baring any calling bonus' like incoming calls, in-network calls, fav 5, evenings and weekend time differences etc.

You said your plan has 350 minutes, well, you still went over even if you didn't change plans in the middle of a month

Phones
    Samsung Focus S
    Carrier
    Telus Mobility
    Feedback Score
    I'm going to look into this further as on my Sweet Deals plan I had 100 minutes included in the plan plus the 100 bonus and I negotiated for 100 more. With the new plan I got the V&D 60 which has 200 and I got a 150 bonus.

I totally understand about proration but I feel the way they go about it is just wrong, especially if I barely went over my minuYtes later in the month. I don't mind paying for anything over the plan, but charging me because I made some long calls on the 1st or 2nd is bogus.

Yes, I realize a lot of people will disagree with me on this issue but I just think it's bad business to do it that way especially since I haven't been charged extra minutes over the last year.

Carriers
    Telusmobility
    Feedback Score
    So you're saying:

Additional Local Airtime $54.00

Phone (minutes) 54.00

Total $54.00
    is actually long distance as well? Because if it is, that's different. Ya, it's a little screwy when you switch like that, but ... it happens, and people may or may not like it. I suggest sending a message to the CRTC with a copy of the service agreement that doesn't explain that part. If it is in there, you're hooped. Happy reading

Phones
    Samsung Focus S
    Carrier
    Telus Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kardall View Post
    So you're saying:

is actually long distance as well? Because if it is, that's different. Ya, it's a little screwy when you switch like that, but ... it happens, and people may or may not like it. I suggest sending a message to the CRTC with a copy of the service agreement that doesn't explain that part. If it is in there, you're hooped. Happy reading
    Ya it might be long distance I'm not sure since I have corp national calling. Either way I'm gonna call them as I'm fairly certain I didn't use over my allotted minutes. Hopefully they can just clear that charge since it's just calculated as an overage that way.

Phone
    Nexus S
    Carrier
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    1) It wouldn't be long distance if its under ADDITIONAL LOCAL AIRTIME. The word local is right there.

2) If you have corporate national calling (another ridiculous perk), then you can't have LD charges since that provides unlimited CAN to CAN and unlimited CAN to USA long distance for $15.

Phones
    Blackberry Torch
    iPhone 5 16gb
    iPhone 4S 32gb
    Carriers
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by crumbworks View Post

2) If you have corporate national calling (another ridiculous perk), then you can't have LD charges since that provides unlimited CAN to CAN and unlimited CAN to USA long distance for $15.
    Why is that a ridiculous perk? I'm sure he is paying $15 for it...or is it just ridiculous in the light of the crappy pricing that Telus offers for LD?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast