Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Will data plans ever go DOWN in price?

Feedback Score

Will data plans ever go DOWN in price?

Was doing a comparison between the Wind Always Shout + Unlimited Data add-on, and the Mobilicity Unlimited Voice with Data. The Mobilicity plan is $15 cheaper because the Wind data is so pricey.

Let's ignore the actually coverage at this point, as they are both emerging players.

Anyone think that the data add-on will go down any time soon?

Carrier
    Wind Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Probably not... unlimited for that price is very good, especially when compared to the Big 3. It's possible they could drop it by $5 maybe, but I think it would have to come as a result of a general plan shakeup or a price drop from all the others. When you consider that you can get unlimited everything with Wind on a decent sized network, it's a good deal.

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Carrier
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I doubt it, but it's unlikely the price will ever go UP.

Feedback Score
    Price may not drop, but the service has gone UP.... they've stopped blocking outgoing ports! We're almost completely wide open!

Just a couple of things blocked -- nothing excessive, 25/tcp (email spam) and 67/udp (virus against windoze bootp and/or dhcp client vulnerabilities)

Phones
    Various
    Various
    Carriers
    WIND
    Feedback Score
    Wind can beat the crap out of robellus by offering better deals on the non unlimited plan..

May be $5 for 50 MB, 250MB for $10, 1GB for $20...and their unlimited for $35.
    Wind at your service! I dont work for Wind either!

Phones
    HTC Touch
    SE T616 is my alarm clock now
    Carriers
    Bell Mobility on unlimited data
    T-Mobile US Roaming
    Feedback Score
    I like my WIND data stick for $25/m student plan.... well that's about the right price for their reliability and QoS. Data on my unlimited Wind U8100 and the datastick speed are similar, runs around 2-3 Mbps down / 0.3- up

Feedback Score
    FYI that the reason I asked was because the Mobilicity unlimited data plan add-on is $20. $20!!!!!

Sounds like this was just done today.

Phones
    Moto X
    Q10
    Carriers
    Fido Solutions
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    E-man, Mobilicity is not true data access since they explicitly say tethering is not allowed. In other words, you can ONLY use the data on a phone. That's useless for many people. 80% of my data usage is through my laptop tethered to my phone. WIND's data plans have no such restrictions and is true internet access.

I certainly don't need "unlimited data" if I'm forced to use it all on a tiny three inch screen...lol.

FIDO $55 MB/SK unlimited w/5GB = $44.55 (BYOD 10% + add-a-line 10% discounts, $10/GB overage)
    WIND $15 AITF unlimited data (10GB soft cap)

All my posts are my own opinion only and not necessarily that of any of my employers, past or present.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinCredible View Post
    E-man, Mobilicity is not true data access since they explicitly say tethering is not allowed.

I certainly don't need "unlimited data" if I'm forced to use it all on a tiny three inch screen...lol.

Interesting. I didn't know that. I'll have to take a closer look. Note, however, that two people I know on Nexus Ones have both gone over 6GB in a month. I don't know what they are doing, but it sounds like an Android thing...

Carrier
    wind
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by e-man View Post
    Interesting. I didn't know that. I'll have to take a closer look. Note, however, that two people I know on Nexus Ones have both gone over 6GB in a month. I don't know what they are doing, but it sounds like an Android thing...
    Android and iPhone users consume a lot more data than other platforms because they have much better multimedia integration than other platforms (i.e. blackberry, nokia, etc), and there's just a whole lot more you can do with data.

But if I'm not doing data intensive tasks like streaming youtube, listening to internet radio, wi-fi tethering, 500MB is more than enough for push email, IM, and browsing.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinCredible View Post
    E-man, Mobilicity is not true data access since they explicitly say tethering is not allowed. In other words, you can ONLY use the data on a phone.
    It says tethering is allowed, but they will probably traffic shape...just like Wind does, I'm sure.

https://mobilicity.ca/support/plans-...ering-allowed/

Carriers
    WIND Mobile (09/2010-present)
    Bell 05/2005-08/2006, Virgin Mobile Canada 08/2006-11/2009, Fido 11/2009-09/2010
    Feedback Score
    The revised Mobi pricing is intriguing. $35 for unlimited local + $20 data = $55, which is a better price point than WIND for the same result. Of course, Mobi is still stuck in one single city until they launch in more.

I figure I'll stick with my $25 student plan + $35 data for up to the 1 year period, and then pending my employment status and the reliability of Mobi I'll revisit what's the best value for me.

Phones
    Moto X
    Q10
    Carriers
    Fido Solutions
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by e-man View Post
    It says tethering is allowed, but they will probably traffic shape...just like Wind does, I'm sure.

https://mobilicity.ca/support/plans-...ering-allowed/
    Yes indeed, they just revised the policy. Good news nonetheless.

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S2 LTE, Samsung Galaxy S3
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Wind does need more low level data plans. Nothing they have can beat the $30/6GB plan that Rogers offers a few times a year.

My ideal rate plan would be Wind's unlimited talk and text with Rogers 6GB data.

Carrier
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    I've made a suggestion that they should offer an ongoing New and Existing User Special offer, not stackable with other offers:
    Always Shout + Infinite Mobile for $65/month - Special Offer

That get's pretty close to Mobilicity (close enough in my mind + 15/month off regular cost + offers existing users whining about not getting a special a special + moves more APU up from what it is now for WIND). All in all I think an awesome deal for users and Wind (users get deal, WIND gets higher average monthly rates)

If they added my one other suggestion - a Family Plan (not a special, just a feature) where any account with 2+ phones would have each individual line get $2.50 off/month - I think most people would get "all you could phone, all you can text, all you could internet, tether, no contract, for $62.50/month" That would be a great price and offering point.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast