Thread: Verizon Phones With The Best Rural Coverage

Feedback Score

Verizon Phones With The Best Rural Coverage

I am wondering what Verizon phones perform the best in very rural areas. I suppose, at this point, it has been years since any phones have been manufactured that have an external antenna jack, but how do I find out which Verizon phones work best in remote areas?

About the only existing thread on this I could find is this from several years ago http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...agphone-Review Maybe I should specify that I may want something a bit more portable than the Motorola M800 Bag Phone http://www.motorola.com/Business/US-...g+Phones_US-EN For example, would a Motorola Droid smart phone perform about equal to say a Casio G'zOne Type-V?
    Last edited by Jim1348; 10-06-2010 at 10:48 PM. Reason: Details

Carriers
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I would say Almost ANY motorola will outperform a CASIO, but from experience not by much...
    I have a Casio Rock & Moto Droid 1. They seem to pretty much match up in reception...
    BlackBerries are good for reception as well... btw...

HTC, LG, Samsung? Are worse by far.

Rather than an ext antenna jack, you could get a repeater for your vehicle, not perfect but can help in the weak and even no service areas, just don't expect miracles...
    "Got Root?"

Feedback Score
    Thank you for the reply. I had been actually focusing on three different devices:

-Casio G'zOne Type-V

-HTC Mogul / XV6800 / PPC6800 / P4000

-Motorola Droid

Since these are are available second hand, I have looked at Ebay to compare prices. The Casio G'zOne Type-V is sort of a "one trick pony" so to speak. It is a rugged cell phone, but it is also the least expensive of the three. Next up is the XV6800, which would allow me to use my Garmin Mobile XT GPS navigation software. Some of the shortcomings of the phone are the Windows Mobile operating system, which I have experience with. The Garmin Mobile XT software is getting kind of dated and Garmin no longer sells newer version of this. Also, the Garmin Mobile XT does NOT speak street names. The XV6800 does not have a windshield mount available either. I do realized that there are universal after market mounts available, but I prefer mount designed for a specific device. Which now leaves me to consider a used Motorola Droid. It is on the Android Operating System, has a Motorola windshield mount that is specifically designed for the Droid. Couple that with CoPilot Live for Android and I think it might work out pretty well for me.

Carriers
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I also have an old 6800 I know how it is
    compared to my droid, wow! feels like a Ford Model T or something , anyway
    If you are doing navigation the bigger screen (Droid) would probably be best anyway!

Feedback Score

Carriers
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Yep, that feels like a big IF
    I would prefer an LTE/CDMA version personally with the water resistance + PTT. That would be the perfect phone.

Though Android 2.1.... seems like 2.2 should be there, it's so much faster!

Phones
    Motorola V860 barrage
    Casio Ravine. retired
    iphone 5 verizon
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I work in the area where they have poor reception. I missed alot of calls with my lg dare, and samsung rogue. I finally got my motorola v860 . excellent reception.

Carriers
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I had the Barrage, for less than 1 day, lousy sound! but I'm sure the reception is fine!
    Just got a Casio Brigade, only problem is they forgot to send the back to it.... otherwise it looks like a nice phone...
    full QWERTY

Phones
    Motorola V860 barrage
    Casio Ravine. retired
    iphone 5 verizon
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I don't know maybe you got the defective one. sound quality is great. we all know motorola microphone are excellent. motorola use the same mic part # use in v860, qa 30, backflip, devour, droid, droid x.
    I called credit card company regarding with my statement. the lady on the phone have no problem hearing me.
    so anyway.

here are the best things i like about v860.
    excellent reception,
    able to answer calls without opening the flip.
    with the flip closed, speaker on. ( 20 inches away from u, people can hear clearly). so mic can able to pick up voice from distance)
    texting is fast. just quick.

this is not for every one. i can drive and text with my v860.

the worst motorola phone i ever had was zn4 krave.

Phones
    Motorola V860 barrage
    Casio Ravine. retired
    iphone 5 verizon
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I do some research about casio bridge. that phone is not bad. cleartalk ( noise cancellation).

Carriers
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Maybe, but not the mic, I mean what I could hear, like something rattling inside when the volume of the person calling me peaked, that's with the regular ear piece didn't even bother with speakerphone.

If I remember correctly when I pressed hard against the screen the rattle stopped... so to me that seemed pretty bad!

Phones
    Motorola V860 barrage
    Casio Ravine. retired
    iphone 5 verizon
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I see. well my phone was built 01/10 hardware C. software 1_00.21.27P . so they probably fixed all the problems.

Phones
    Samsung U430 (fully functioinal bluetooth)
    Moto Droid as an accessory
    LG VX8350 (retired)
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Rural reception; external antenna port

Quote Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post
    I am wondering what Verizon phones perform the best in very rural areas. I suppose, at this point, it has been years since any phones have been manufactured that have an external antenna jack, but how do I find out which Verizon phones work best in remote areas?

For example, would a Motorola Droid smart phone perform about equal to say a Casio G'zOne Type-V?
    I saw today here mention of external antenna port on Droid 2.

Phones
    Motorola V860 barrage
    Casio Ravine. retired
    iphone 5 verizon
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    it happened to me too. T-Mobile user with Samsung vibrant call me on my V860.g gggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg gggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg gggggggggggggg