Taxes on VM 25$ prepaid plan?

I just found out I'm paying 27.56$

10/03/2010
    Print History Amount Description
    $25.00 Monthly Plan Charge
    $0.50 e911
    $2.06 Sales Tax
    $27.56 Charged to your PayPal account

I thought it's 25$ flat fee for prepaid. Shouldn't this has to be included in plan price?

"Taxes and Surcharges

Stated prices for our services do not include certain taxes or surcharges. We charge state and local sales taxes on all purchases made through our website at www.virginmobileusa.com, including Top-Up transactions that we process directly. In certain states, retailers (including Virgin Mobile) are required to collect e-911 fees for Top-Up transactions that they process. Charges may also include a surcharge for federal and state Universal Service Fund contributions and state and local 911 fees, as well as a cost recovery surcharge. The amount of these surcharges is subject to change and may vary from time to time and by geographic area. Surcharges are assessed to help defray our costs incurred in complying with federal and state telecommunications regulations. Surcharges are not taxes or fees that the government requires from consumers. Taxes, fees and surcharges are subject to change without notice."

Feedback Score
    Buy the $25 cards from the store then? I dunno

Carrier
    I <3 Verizon!
    Feedback Score
    They are required by the state to charge sales tax. Blame you legislature. Not Sprint.

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe12304 View Post
    They are required by the state to charge sales tax. Blame you legislature. Not Sprint.
    I don't blame Sprint. I blame VM for advertising flat fee prepaid service and charging taxes/fees (false advertising?) There is no contract to apply ToS on customers.

Phones
    Motorola Triumph, LG Optimus V
    Motorola Triumph
    LG Optimus V
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Sales tax makes sense, since there's no way to avoid that. I was a little perturbed after I was paying for a month of Virgin Mobile service (straight from the money already in my account and saw:

300 minute Beyond Talk plan: $25.00
    e911 charge: $.38

Wait a minute. I thought buying the card covered e911 too (they tack the tax on at the RadioShack I work at!) Does the $25/month plan really cost $25 a month?

Phones
    Optimus Slider
    Lg F3
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    out of curiousity did you set it up to bill automatically or did you randomly top up and then VM pull the money from the balance at the renew date

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    There are required taxes on all cell phones. Pretty sure the only company that builds the prices directly into their monthly fee is Boost, which costs $40/mo—more than the $27.56 that you're paying now. VMUSA is the best deal around for cell service, so I'm not sure what the issue is... ?

It's pretty rare for a store/company/etc in the USA to state the price with tax already figured in. That's more of a European thing.

Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    The $25 top up card covers all surcharges, there is no fcc tax or other phone taxes that you pay on normal cell plans. However in buying the card at a physical retailer you do pay sales tax and may pay e911 fees. However this is easily avoided by online purchasing where you can pay no taxes, no e911 fees, and most importantly get a discount off of the $25 price. Go to this page and use the discounts they mention, you should pay $24.01 total for a $25 monthly top up card and they should email the pin and stuff straight to you, making it more convenient than any other online place that ships the card to you or a store where you have to physically go to the store. Go figure, the cheapest method is also the most convenient.

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1029260/

There's the link right there, go, read, learn. Don't complain about prices without proper research please.

Carriers
    Boost
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by skeletal View Post
    There are required taxes on all cell phones. Pretty sure the only company that builds the prices directly into their monthly fee is Boost, which costs $40/mo—more than the $27.56 that you're paying now. VMUSA is the best deal around for cell service, so I'm not sure what the issue is... ?

It's pretty rare for a store/company/etc in the USA to state the price with tax already figured in. That's more of a European thing.
    Boost is $50.00 a month for all you can eat not 40. but you could spend 40 if you wanted to or 10 or whatever.
    Last edited by drschurch; 10-09-2010 at 04:08 AM.

Carrier
    I <3 Verizon!
    Feedback Score

You also get hit with sales tax on Boost. They legally CAN'T cover sales tax in most states. Plus how would they? Many cities/counties have their own taxes on top of state taxes. Surely you don't think Boost could know about very tax in every city in the land?

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Can't compare Boost and VM. Boost is unlimited everything for 50$ (tax/fees included). It's 60$+tx/fees on VM.
    http://plans.boostmobile.com/planhub.aspx

Another "non-europian" company is MetroPSC with 40$ unlimited everything and tax/fees included.
    http://www.metropcs.com/

And another one (T-Mobile USA):
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...d-prepaid-plan
    50$ unlimited and no tax/fees on top of it.

Could you see what is the "problem" now?
    http://www.virginmobileusa.com/cell-...pt1-beyondtalk
    "No Contracts, No Compromises
    Nationwide Sprint® Network
    No hidden fees
    Pay with credit, debit, or PayPal for worry-free monthly service
    Or, buy Top-Up cards with cash".

And if VM decided to "hide" behind Sprint with regulatory matters all VM customer should have access to free calls within Sprint network. VM is even trying to sound like that.
    "We've Got You Covered

Virgin Mobile USA customers have access to the Sprint® Nationwide Network reaching more than 275 million people."
    Last edited by andyhrn; 10-09-2010 at 12:26 PM.

Feedback Score
    I get charged $16.24 every 3 months ($1.24 taxes on a $15 Top up). Not surprised to see tax on the $25 deal. Good to know though, makes wanting to switch to the Intercept $22.15/mo. more costly "just" for internet usage that I already have at work and home. Not convinced it's worth it (yet).

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ben7337 View Post
    The $25 top up card covers all surcharges, there is no fcc tax or other phone taxes that you pay on normal cell plans. However in buying the card at a physical retailer you do pay sales tax and may pay e911 fees. However this is easily avoided by online purchasing where you can pay no taxes, no e911 fees, and most importantly get a discount off of the $25 price. Go to this page and use the discounts they mention, you should pay $24.01 total for a $25 monthly top up card and they should email the pin and stuff straight to you, making it more convenient than any other online place that ships the card to you or a store where you have to physically go to the store. Go figure, the cheapest method is also the most convenient.

There's the link right there, go, read, learn. Don't complain about prices without proper research please.
    I just removed my PayPal account from VM and are going to follow your advice. Tnx.

Phones
    Samsung Intercept
    Samsung Intercept
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    i live in oregon where there is no sales tax so i only pay 25

Carriers
    Straight Talk (FTW)
    Page plus (gone)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ben7337 View Post

so what about the bIS charge? do you just have to have the $10 on your account?
    The story of your life:
    ::

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast