Thread: TM506 does not connect to 3G

Device(s)
    TM506
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Question TM506 does not connect to 3G

Hello.

I debranded my TM506 about two years ago using the wiki. T-Mobile has only had EDGE coverage in my area until recently, but I can't connect to the 3G network. I try going to settings->connectivity tab->mobile networks->select networks and I choose the T-Mobile network that has a small house and a 3G icon in it, but it doesn't connect. I also have turned on the GSM and 3G setting on the GSM/3G networks menu.

Anybody has any ideas of what could be happening? Thanks.

Feedback Score
    It's possible that even though the 3G network is shown in the menu that it's too weak there and the phone automatically switches back to the 2G network.

You can force the 3G network using free software called MyPhoneExplorer.

In the Other section on the left side of the screen, select Profiles.

At the bottom of the Profiles screen there is a choice for Network Mode:

GSM Only
    GSM/UMTS
    UMTS Only

Select UMTS Only and your phone will be locked so that it will only work on the 3G network. Disconnect the phone from your computer and re-test it. If you don't get many bars, you'll know that the 3G signal is just too weak.

Obviously change the phone back to GSM/UMTS when done with the test.

Device(s)
    TM506
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I tried what you said. I installed MyPhoneExplorer, chose UMTS only, but the phone didn't pick up anything. I walked around quite a bit, but nothing.

I am wondering if 4G has anything to do with it. I am in Puerto Rico and apparently T-Mobile skipped 3G and installed 4G HSPA+ directly, they just started announcing "the first 4G network" in Puerto Rico last week. I thought 4G was backward compatible with 3G devices.

Do you think this could be the reason I can't pick up anything but GPRS or EDGE? Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by samus250 View Post
    I thought 4G was backward compatible with 3G devices.
    It is backwards compatible. It just isn't strong enough in your area to connect. Obviously there is a tiny signal because your phone can detect the network with the 3G house. But it's too weak to connect. That's why your phone was defaulting back to 2G.

When they increase it in your area or when you travel to another area, you'll connect on 3G.

Device(s)
    TM506
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    OK, I was a little bit nervous at first because I couldn't pick it up almost anywhere, not even on campus. But today I went to the center of town and could finally connect to it. It switched back to edge as I drove away, as expected.

Now all I have to do is wait some more. Thanks!

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.2.13918/21.526; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

buy a new phone to resolve ur issue..
    ur phones 3g transmitter might be not stable
    Last edited by CoolPhone; 10-20-2010 at 11:20 PM.
    T-Mobile - the largest fake 4G network in Americas

HTC HD2 Speed on 3G/HSDPA

T-mobile 3G/H or Pharos 137

My broadband speed

My WM phone is the best GPS now, say good bye junk Andriod

Feedback Score
    Same thing happened in my area code 2 years ago , when they launched 3G..
    Getting 3g icon doesnot mean uplink and downlink are working.... I found this out using Bandrich 105 data card..

2) Even if both links up, the n/w can still refuse to register SIM.. until official launch date . ( Check with CSR for that)

Quote Originally Posted by samus250 View Post
    Hello.

I debranded my TM506 about two years ago using the wiki. T-Mobile has only had EDGE coverage in my area until recently, but I can't connect to the 3G network. I try going to settings->connectivity tab->mobile networks->select networks and I choose the T-Mobile network that has a small house and a 3G icon in it, but it doesn't connect. I also have turned on the GSM and 3G setting on the GSM/3G networks menu.

Anybody has any ideas of what could be happening? Thanks.

Device(s)
    TM506
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolPhone View Post
    Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.2.13918/21.526; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

buy a new phone to resolve ur issue..
    ur phones 3g transmitter might be not stable
    It seems you were correct. I bought a used phone, debranded it, and the 3G is working perfectly fine. My other phone's 3G transmitter was definitely unstable. Even in 100% signal areas, the phone suddenly dropped the 3G connection and went back to EDGE.

Just thought I should let you guys know. It wasn't a weak 3G network, it was my phone.