Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 33

Thread: Rogers 3G network Problems

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    7
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    0

    Halifax Rogers 3G network Problems

    Today, after experiencing missed calls, calls going directly to voicemail, limited & slow internet access on the 3G network, I decided to excalate the issue with Rogers Tech Support. I had called yesterday and they reset my network and this morning I did the only other thing possible - did a master reset of the phone - an Xperia X10. My daughter has the same phone and the same problems, my son has a Blackberry and sometimes has those problems as well. BUT, I digress. I was told by Tech Support that they would escalate the issue to Tier 2 support and that I would get a call in 3-5 business days. OK. I also asked about compensation for the inconvenience AND because I lost a job because the call didn't go through to me. WELL, I was told that they would consider compensation AFTER the issue was resolved. AFTER being the key word. Normally I would accept that but I was repeatedly told, over the last 2 days, that Rogers 3G network is NOT at fault. I decided to check the internet and, lo and behold! There are an unimaginable number of complaints about this issue! Here in Nova Scotia we pay a network access fee of $6.95, per phone, per month JUST to use the Rogers network. BUT I'm not getting full network access so I feel that this, at least, should be refunded. I know I'll have a fight on my hands to get even that from Rogers but I think it's time to take this issue much farther. I believe that a group should be formed (such as on a Facebook page) where ALL Rogers consumers can have their say about BOTH the good and the bad of being a Rogers wireless customer. We should also contact the CRTC which regulates the tiny portion of rules associated with the wireless industry in Canada. I know this is a winded post but something needs to be done! Let me know what you think.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,186
    Phones
    Nokia N95-4,HTC Touch, HTC S621, NOKIA E65, Nokia E61, Audiovox SMT5600, Nokia 6682
    BB 7290, Motorola V551, Motorola T720 (ALL SOLD)
    Motorola MPX220
    Carrier
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Ummm no. I'm pretty sure it's your phone (The X10). My X10 does the same thing. I get missed calls and they don't even show up in my call log. The only way I knew I missed a call was the who called feature. I know it's not the network cause I switched to the Iphone 4 and I no longer miss calls!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Vaughan
    Posts
    709
    Feedback Score
    0
    ^While the handset "could" be a factor, I strongly believe it's the network more than anything else...and yes, I also understand that the problems are limited to specific locations. Where I live, this problem happens all the time regardless of the device being used...and there are many many more locations with this problem. OP, if you say your son's blackberry also experiences the issue, then that tells me it's most likely the network. If you can, find others in your area with 3G Rogers devices and ask them if they have similar problems. If so, it's undoubtedly the 3G network and I would continue to bug Rogers about it. If you find that you're not really getting anywhere with tech support (and I'm willing to bet you won't), try the Office of the President @ the link below. Click "Make a Complaint" and follow the instructions accordingly...

    http://www.rogers.com/web/content/contactus

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    105
    Carrier
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    I've been have super slow internet on my 3G using an iPhone 3G too. I need to tether because I'm doing contract work at an organization where I can't get onto the network due to my laptop being an external device, so it's pretty damn annoying.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    7
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    0
    Actually, I used to work for Rogers until recently and I know they're trying to beat down other providers by adding more brands - "Chatr" being just the newest. With the addition of more consumers it's only natural that the network will get bogged down and calls will be missed BUT this has become a constant problem over the past 2 1/2 months (I didn't have the issues from the time I bought the phone until late July when this started). Yes, there are other people with the same issue here in my area but Rogers continues to tell people that their network is fine. They think that we don't know about the others in the area reporting the problems. I believe that the problem is that their network can no longer handle the overwhelming number of customers and, with the addition of the Rocket Stick and Rocket hub for internet users ( selling very well here in Nova Scotia) I just feel the network has surpassed its capacity. I've heard others on this site stating that Rogers should just admit the problem and make some sort of continual compensation until such time as it can be resolved permanently and I agree with that position. BUT I think a lot more pressure has to be put on the company before this will happen. My experiences lately with internet on my phone is the same as Firestorm88 describes, as well. Joninator, I've also had Sony look into the problem and they agree that the network is the only explanation, as the phone is working perfectly. My daughter's phone is the same as mine and she also has these issues, so, NO it's not the phones - they're great phones.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    7
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    0
    Just got a voicemail from Rogers (The phone didn't ring, by the way) They've further escalated the issue AND admitted that it's a congestion issue! WOW - who would have thunk! LOL I suppose next they'll say they can't resolve the issue because I'm not answering my phone! I WOULD if it RANG! LOL

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Vaughan
    Posts
    709
    Feedback Score
    0
    I'm starting to think that some Rogers sites can only handle one user at-a-time!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,734
    Phones
    iPhone 4S 64GB Black
    iPhone 5 64GB Black
    Carrier
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I know the X10 does have those issues as my sister has one, and complains about the same thing. But the network is beginning to bog down a lot IMO to. We're becoming the new AT&T.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    47
    Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    0
    Nooo, not the new AT&T!!!

    Rogers better step up, they're not the only GSM/HSPA provider anymore in Canada.
    We have options!!


    Quote Originally Posted by canadian studen View Post
    I know the X10 does have those issues as my sister has one, and complains about the same thing. But the network is beginning to bog down a lot IMO to. We're becoming the new AT&T.
    Unltd. Voice & Text Plan in North America from Rogers/Fido Network $50.00

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    660
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    0
    I went through the same BS last week, tech support claimed it was my IP4 or Sim card.

    Went through all these annoying testing and nothing was fixed.

    He even stated DT Core of TO is suffering from this in patchy areas. I live in northern Scarborough and speeds are fine up there when I get home.

    I got 1/3 of my data, credited for this month. The problem is there, it seems to be nation wide and started in 09.15.10 in Toronto.

    Quote Originally Posted by NSDad View Post
    Today, after experiencing missed calls, calls going directly to voicemail, limited & slow internet access on the 3G network, I decided to excalate the issue with Rogers Tech Support. I had called yesterday and they reset my network and this morning I did the only other thing possible - did a master reset of the phone - an Xperia X10. My daughter has the same phone and the same problems, my son has a Blackberry and sometimes has those problems as well. BUT, I digress. I was told by Tech Support that they would escalate the issue to Tier 2 support and that I would get a call in 3-5 business days. OK. I also asked about compensation for the inconvenience AND because I lost a job because the call didn't go through to me. WELL, I was told that they would consider compensation AFTER the issue was resolved. AFTER being the key word. Normally I would accept that but I was repeatedly told, over the last 2 days, that Rogers 3G network is NOT at fault. I decided to check the internet and, lo and behold! There are an unimaginable number of complaints about this issue! Here in Nova Scotia we pay a network access fee of $6.95, per phone, per month JUST to use the Rogers network. BUT I'm not getting full network access so I feel that this, at least, should be refunded. I know I'll have a fight on my hands to get even that from Rogers but I think it's time to take this issue much farther. I believe that a group should be formed (such as on a Facebook page) where ALL Rogers consumers can have their say about BOTH the good and the bad of being a Rogers wireless customer. We should also contact the CRTC which regulates the tiny portion of rules associated with the wireless industry in Canada. I know this is a winded post but something needs to be done! Let me know what you think.
    Last edited by E2EK1EL; 10-14-2010 at 02:06 PM.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    7
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    0
    I first noticed the problem sometime in July, here in Nova Scotia. I suspect it's been going on, in other areas, for longer. Rogers intention is to be the #1 wireless provider in Canada. They've added other devices which also use the wireless network for internet service (Rocket Hub & Rocket Stick) and have also released HP netbooks with the Rocket Stick built in. I'm pretty sure that they've exceeded the network's ability to handle all these users. cell phones have become almost common in North America now and even 8 year old kids have them. What I think needs to happen, though, is to put pressure on Rogers AND other carriers to do proper maintenance and upgrades to their systems, in a timely manner, or suffer the consequences. Rogers hates bad publicity. (Earlier this year a Canadian service member was being deployed to one of the hot spots in Europe and called to cancel his contract. Rogers refused to cancel and said he'd have to pay out the remainder of the contract. When the service member's father got involved it escalated and, before the end of the day, the contract was cancelled and a NEW policy was in place that would correctly handle an account for a forces member in such circumstances.) I feel that there needs to be a public forum that has a huge consumer base (such as Facebook) where both the good and bad things about carriers can be aired for ALL to see. The publicity garnered from such a site would generate lots of interest by Rogers and MAYBE make them realize that they wouldn't be where they are except for us customers. It's about time WE were treated with respect and good intentions instead of letting companies like Rogers walk all over our rights. WE pay for our services. If Rogers can't supply EXACTLY what they advertise, then we should be paying a hell of a lot less.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,734
    Phones
    iPhone 4S 64GB Black
    iPhone 5 64GB Black
    Carrier
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Today was a real crap day for the network in The Midland area. I kept getting server busy notifications. Or I would have to reconnect like 3 times before it will go through. If this happens tomorrow. I'm gonna have to call in.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,118
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by canadian studen View Post
    I know the X10 does have those issues as my sister has one, and complains about the same thing. But the network is beginning to bog down a lot IMO to. We're becoming the new AT&T.
    Of course, every year they let pretty much any customer get a new iPhone for a discounted price on an early upgrade. Will get worse year after year since Rogers thinks their network is the best and needs no work at all ever again.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Vaughan
    Posts
    709
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by NSDad View Post
    I first noticed the problem sometime in July, here in Nova Scotia. I suspect it's been going on, in other areas, for longer. Rogers intention is to be the #1 wireless provider in Canada. They've added other devices which also use the wireless network for internet service (Rocket Hub & Rocket Stick) and have also released HP netbooks with the Rocket Stick built in. I'm pretty sure that they've exceeded the network's ability to handle all these users. cell phones have become almost common in North America now and even 8 year old kids have them. What I think needs to happen, though, is to put pressure on Rogers AND other carriers to do proper maintenance and upgrades to their systems, in a timely manner, or suffer the consequences. Rogers hates bad publicity. (Earlier this year a Canadian service member was being deployed to one of the hot spots in Europe and called to cancel his contract. Rogers refused to cancel and said he'd have to pay out the remainder of the contract. When the service member's father got involved it escalated and, before the end of the day, the contract was cancelled and a NEW policy was in place that would correctly handle an account for a forces member in such circumstances.) I feel that there needs to be a public forum that has a huge consumer base (such as Facebook) where both the good and bad things about carriers can be aired for ALL to see. The publicity garnered from such a site would generate lots of interest by Rogers and MAYBE make them realize that they wouldn't be where they are except for us customers. It's about time WE were treated with respect and good intentions instead of letting companies like Rogers walk all over our rights. WE pay for our services. If Rogers can't supply EXACTLY what they advertise, then we should be paying a hell of a lot less.
    Agreed. Remember that little site about Rogers iPhone data prices being too high? (link below). Something like that would do quite nicely because it's specific, focused, and generates a lot of attention.

    http://www.ruinediphone.com/

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    6
    Feedback Score
    0
    I have had a Rogers data plan for 2 months now using a HTC magic with Android 2.2. My 3g data connection has disappeared 5 times in that period. Each time a rogers tech has reset the connection and I am back up. On one occasion as requested I have got a new sim card. This latest time they sent me to sign a HTC waiver. https://your.rogers.com/web_auth/HTCwaiver.asp and said they can not reset my connection but have to wait for someone to call me. I get the feeling that Rogers doesn't know what they are doing.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-24-2010, 08:33 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-05-2010, 02:25 PM
  3. Replies: 61
    Last Post: 07-06-2010, 09:46 AM
  4. Replies: 46
    Last Post: 05-30-2009, 10:23 PM
  5. network problems?
    By HannaLee in forum Rogers Wireless
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-09-2009, 08:41 PM

Bookmarks