Thread: expiration of Net10 Pay as you go airtime

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score

expiration of Net10 Pay as you go airtime

On ToS, I see
    Pay As You Go airtime minutes added to your NET10 do not expire with active Service and usage within a period of twelve (12) consecutive months.
    What exactly does this mean? Do I have to use all the minutes I added within 12 months or they expire, or as long as I use my phone once in 12 consecutive months, the minutes won't expire?

12 months is really long for prepaid.
    My mp3 player is broken and I want to use the phone bought at Net10 as a music player. I dont really need to make phone calls on the Net10 phone after activating the phone. But how long can I keep the phone fuctional without adding minutes? Do I have to add minutes to the phone after activating to keep the phone functional as a music player?

Phones
    Samsung T201G
    Motorola W376
    BlackBerry 8703e
    Carriers
    AT&T (Tracfone / Net10)
    Feedback Score
    You have to add minutes before the due date on the phone to make calls (assuming you do not use the minutes up before then). As long as you add time as called for AND make one phone call in 12 months, your phone stays active.

If you just want to use the phone as an MP3 player, it should not have to be active for calling purposes. It may have to be active to use their data port to transfer music, you should be able to get around that by loading your music off of your computer onto a micro SD card and then placing that card in the appropriate slot on the phone.

Carrier
    NET10/TracFone
    Feedback Score
    When you activate the phone, you will have some starter minutes that are good for 60 days. You need to add airtime before then to keep the phone active. Traditional airtime cards give you minutes and extend the service a certain number of days (e.g. 300 minutes / 60 days). So long as you keep the service active, your minutes carry forward (UNLESS you buy the "Unlimited" airtime which wipes the slate clean and starts from zero every 30 days - "unlimited" minutes do not rollover).

If you don't make or receive a call in a 12 month period, Net10 reserves the right to deactivate the phone.

The Mp3 player works independently, whether the phone is active or not.
    Last edited by millept; 10-12-2010 at 10:46 PM.

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the reply.
    Last time I turned the unactivated phone on, it could do thing but call 911 cuz I took the SIM out.
    Now I turn it on w/ SIM, it says unactivated but most things are functional.
    I cant set date/time tho.

To my understanding, activating the phone means getting a number and some configuration information from the carrier. If I dont use the phone for 12mons is considered inactive and I lose the number and minutes if there should be any. If the phone is inactive/unactivated, it works like "offline" unless some features(like date/time) are restricted by carrier. (date/time might have something to do with network configuration/billing I suppose)
    But my minutes never expire as long as my phone is active. Correct me if Im wrong.

What if I go ahead and activate my phone but do not add minutes until I need to use it for calls(definitely within a year)? Is there any problem doing this?

If my phone goes inactive, how can I reactivate it?

Phone
    Motorola V176, LG600g, LG3280
    Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by realdreams View Post
    Thanks for the reply.
    Last time I turned the unactivated phone on, it could do thing but call 911 cuz I took the SIM out.

To my understanding, activating the phone means getting a number and some configuration information from the carrier. If I dont use the phone for 12mons is considered inactive and I lose the number and minutes if there should be any. If the phone is inactive/unactivated, it works like "offline" unless some features(like date/time) are restricted by carrier. (date/time might have something to do with network configuration/billing I suppose)
    But my minutes never expire as long as my phone is active. Correct me if Im wrong.

What if I go ahead and activate my phone but do not add minutes until I need to use it for calls(definitely within a year)? Is there any problem doing this?

Sounds like you need to go into their website & read their Q&A and also their "Terms and Conditions".

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by realdreams View Post
    Thanks for the reply.

As the previous poster said, you really ought to read the Net10 site, but here is a quick and dirty to this post.

The features of the phone, such as MP3 player will work whether the phone has service or not.

Activation is when the phone is initially setup and includes some airtime/days. It used to be 300/60, but newer phones are 10(20)/60. Either way, you need to maintain days of service on the phone for it to be active. With Net10 pay as you go, this generally means buying at least a $30 card every 60 days, though there are other cards out there. If the minutes are not used, they will carry over when you add a new card, but cards must be added to keep the phone active. It is going to cost you at least $15 a month to keep the phone active.

If the phone goes inactive you will need to get a new sim from Net10 (free). Once you get that you would need to activate the phone again and add an airtime card.

Unfortunately for all its positives, Net10 is not the best for people who need small amounts of minutes over long periods of time, which sounds like you.

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    When you run out of minutes you no longer can make nor receive calls.
    When you run out of days the phone immediately de-activates.