Thread: What's the best reception in a dumbphone currently offered by AT&T?

Phone
    RAZR2 V8
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

What's the best reception in a dumbphone currently offered by AT&T?

Backstory: My brother is on Alltel, in a state where the Alltel network is going to Verizon. However, his account is based in a neighboring state where Alltel is going to AT&T, and thus he will soon be required to switch to a UMTS/GSM phone, which AT&T will offer for free. Since AT&T does offer service in the area he's currently in, although it's extremely sketchy, he plans to stick with AT&T and tough it out for a few months before he moves back to the original state next year. So, I'm wondering what would be the best phone to recommend him based on signal strength, since he'll need it in his current area. I know that the RAZR line used to be very reliable for reception, but AT&T no longer appears to be carrying it, and unfortunately I am not too well versed on the relative signal strengths of their current dumbphone lines.

So, does anyone know what is the best non-smartphone for reception currently offered by AT&T? Here are his requirements:

- It has to be 3G, since after his move, he'll be using it on Alltel's former network, which was not spaced for GSM's 35 km limit.

- It needs to be a non-smartphone, since he does not want to pay the extra fee for data.

- He is not heavily into texting, multimedia, or other features not related to voice calling, so these are all secondary to reception. He does use Bluetooth a lot, but it's hard to imagine a phone in 2010 not supporting that.

Thanks!

Carriers
    The Big V
    Feedback Score
    For my Alltel conversion area we were offered the following dumbphones for free:

Samsung a777 - Blue
    Pantech Link (TM) - Black
    Nokia 6350 - Red
    Samsung Strive - Black
    Samsung Eternity (TM) II
    Samsung Rugby® II - Black
    Motorola Tundra (TM) - Grey

Cant comment to the quality of any of them, but I imagine he'll be given pretty much the same choices, maybe others depending on when his market switches. If anything, have him get one of the free no commitment phones above, wait 30 days, and get another phone with a contract extention and sell the replacement phone.

Phone
    RAZR2 V8
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Googled some of those, and it seems that the Tundra is known for great reception (no surprise, it's a Moto). Unfortunately, I just had him go in and check what phones they are offering, and the Tundra isn't on the list. Here's what they're offering him for free:

Samsung a777
    Pantech Link
    Nokia 6350
    Samsung Strive
    Samsung Eternity II
    Samsung Rugby II

What would be the strongest of these reception-wise? I'm guessing probably the Nokia?

Phone
    Google Nexus 5
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    The Nokia. Samsung has been less than impressive in the reception department.
    Google Nexus 5

Phone
    RAZR2 V8
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, that's what I was figuring. Pity they aren't offering that Moto for some reason. Oh well.